-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Read an article yesterday about lessons learned from the Zim PH shooting proficiency exam. The author said the Ruger magnum rifle is not safe to use as a dangerous game rifle because it has a "sprung loaded ejector." He goes on to say that the best rifles are Mausers made by specific manufacturers at specific time periods.

The problem with that "logic" is that the Mauser ejector is also spring loaded. Off the top of my head, the only centerfire rifles I know of with a rigid, standing ejector are the M1903 ("Springfield"), Savage 99, and SMLE, though there are probably others.

Any factory rifle is made to a price point. All of them benefit from hand fitting and polishing of parts to improve function and reliability, even the Mausers. If I screwed a 458 barrel on a military Mauser 98 with no other modifications, would it be absolutely reliable and ready to take elephant hunting? NO! it would not.

Any machine benefits from fine-tuning and careful fitting of parts to improve function. Comparing any factory rifle to a finely tuned rifle costing 10 times as much or more is BS.

About the only difference I can see between a Ruger and a Mauser is that the Mauser ejector is directly across the bolt face from the extractor and travels through a slot cut in the left locking lug, whereas the Ruger's ejector is just below the left locking lug. Does this make a big difference in ejection reliability?

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Imo, Ruger would more than likely disagree with this particular author......Not safe??

Did this author site any "actual" reports where there were problems with the Ruger spring loaded ejectors?

Did he mention any contact with Ruger themselves to see if there were any problems reported?

It`s ok to have an opinion about a Ruger Mag rifle`s spring loaded ejector as not being safe. It is quite another matter to research this issue and find "actual" accountings or reports "confirming" this author`s opinion.

When I go to Africa in the future, I would certainly heed the advice offered by a PH. However when it comes to knowing the mechanical workings and efficiency of my own rifles; two Rugers and a Wby using my own reloads, that might be an area imo, where the PH might be overstepping his bounds a little.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Was he speaking of the Mark II specifically or the older tang safety with plunger ejector?

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I think the RSM refers to the Magnum rifle made on the Tangs Safety action. It does have a plunger ejector and of course a true CRF affectiondo would dis it as unworthy of dangerous game. I owned one of these in 416 Rigby and it was a fine rifle, a bit heavy but very nice with excellent build quality.

Ruger also made magnum rifles in the MKII line, I think they were called the MKII Deluxe Magnum Rifle and were pretty much classical CRF rifles. I never held one so I can't comment on its fit and finish, but I would guess that with a check-up and a massage from a good CRF smith, these would make a fine dangerous game rifle.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by noKnees
I think the RSM refers to the Magnum rifle made on the Tangs Safety action. It does have a plunger ejector and of course a true CRF affectiondo would dis it as unworthy of dangerous game. I owned one of these in 416 Rigby and it was a fine rifle, a bit heavy but very nice with excellent build quality.

Ruger also made magnum rifles in the MKII line, I think they were called the MKII Deluxe Magnum Rifle and were pretty much classical CRF rifles. I never held one so I can't comment on its fit and finish, but I would guess that with a check-up and a massage from a good CRF smith, these would make a fine dangerous game rifle.

This is incorrect. Ruger did not make the RSM "magnum" rifle in the tang safety, only the Mark II. There were 458 mag caliber rifles made in the tang safety but with the standard M77 action, not the RSM magnum action. He talks about those too.

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.africahunting.com/content/2-big-game-hunting-rifles-500/

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Originally Posted by noKnees

This is incorrect. Ruger did not make the RSM "magnum" rifle in the tang safety, only the Mark II. There were 458 mag caliber rifles made in the tang safety but with the standard M77 action, not the RSM magnum action. He talks about those too.

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.africahunting.com/content/2-big-game-hunting-rifles-500/

I must have been confused, I did have a 416 back around 92-93 ( didn't shoot it much as I was in college and it was like $18 a shot) . I don't know why I felt it was a TS. I looked up the parts manual and it was only listed as a MKII.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
looks like according to the article just go out and buy a Browing Safari FN action and you should be good to go with a slight asmount of tweaking.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
There's no question that FN made some excellent Mauser 98 actions, but there is no "one size fits all." The very best performance always comes from a finely tuned machine. Its that "slight amount of tweaking" (and sometimes more than a slight amount) that makes all the difference. You can bet your arse that if I ever do go and deliberately stand in front of a charging 3 ton elephant with hopes of staying alive, the rifle in my hands will definitely be fully qualified, whatever that takes to make it so will have been done. Its no wonder that the double rifles are so highly regarded in that situation. They are essentially two separate single-shot rifles attach together, and no rifle is more reliable than a good single-shot.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
After reading the article and I had the problem with my Ruger MKII ejector I can agree with his statements about the Ruger ejector. Two drops of oil fixed my problem but like the writer eluded to, keeping the ejector oiled will cause problems with dust.

Doesn't the original Mauser 98 have a fixed ejector that doesn't pivot like the M70 & M77 MKII?

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Maybe the "original Mauser" does, whatever that is, but I have two commercial Mausers, an FN and a Mark X, and both have spring loaded ejectors. Both eject fine too, as do all my Ruger MkIIs. I will admit, however, that I had one Ruger that did not eject properly when I got it. The ejector did not line up with the slot in the bolt and cases would just stay on the bolt. I adjusted the ejector a bit and it worked fine from then on.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The article in question was written by Professional Hunter Don Heath who also runs the Zimbabwe PH qualification exams, the toughest in all of Africa. I heeded his advice and had my ejector milled down and it now works as good as any M-98

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,820 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,385
Posts18,469,625
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.