Campfire 'Bwana
G
In the silverware drawer right next to my breakfast spoons. laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey I got some bacon spam stashed for youse guys...ya want it fried , raw or grilled?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A fistful of blackpowder per case? smile

I am leaning toward a std weight barrel, half octagon, which means it oughta weigh under 10 lbs, from what I can see on their site. That means the .50-140 is probably not on the menu crazy

I'm closing on a new house probably in August or September; when that is squared away, I'll prolly write the deposit check for a Shiloh...a nice one.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do it up right in the BGE,would hafta be good maybe even with a little apple wood smoke? whistle

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by eh76
Hey I got some bacon spam stashed for youse guys...ya want it fried , raw or grilled?

MMMMMMMMMMM bacon wrapped pig ears, can i just send a check now for reservations. laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went with the 30" full octagon probably be kicking myself in ten years,guess I could always put a gun rack on my wheels. grin

[Linked Image]

Woody
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL Woody, when I get to old to walk and hunt, i'm gonna rig out a Camo 4WD power chair with a rifle rack and sand bags on the dash laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
I went with the 30" full octagon probably be kicking myself in ten years,guess I could always put a gun rack on my wheels. grin

[Linked Image]
That's a pretty shirt. I'd be axin' that Constable chick to motorboat me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
Wye hell Brent, I'm bettin' were we all to meet at a camp or in the woods, after a few head-butts and handshakes, all would be good.

And I'm also bettin' YOU would help EH or Jorge get there buck or bull outta the woods and back to camp, as THEY would you. wink

Gunner
You don't know Brent too well.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn EE, if i'm wrong on this it would be truly sad, but hell, thats alright, Brent dont have to, I will. wink

Guner

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500
LOL Woody, when I get to old to walk and hunt, i'm gonna rig out a Camo 4WD power chair with a rifle rack and sand bags on the dash laugh

Gunner

I sorta figured this would be ET's geezer ride! grin

[Linked Image]

Woody
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I can see ET on that thing with hiz "people person" shirt on. laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Change of topic..I was given a half bazillion 45 cal felt wads that are .250 and was wondering if any of you guys have used em.I'll need to lube em up for the 45/110 but just wondered what you xspurts thought and is worth the hassle?

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't lube them until you're actually loading them. Try them dry and try different lubes on them.
I use 1/8 inch lubed felt wads with paper patched loads sometimes.
Some folks I know use dry wads under greasers..

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ranch13

Some folks I know use dry wads under greasers..

How do they shoot dry?

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well the guys that use them dry seem to like them... Ned Roberts in one of the chapters in his Schuetzen rifle book said felt made the best wad material...
YMMV tho... professional driver on a closed course,, don't try this at home this was done under controlled conditions.....

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For some reason or lack there of a dry patch doesn't compute in my sense of reasoning,guess I'm in the more lube the better camp always have been but one has to try a new approach now and then especially if it works...still like the idea you suggested about holding back on the lube until ready to load.I'll probably experiment with different lubes since there's an abundance of wads I can screw up. crazy

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sometimes sparky, mostly interesting discussion. I don't have the experience with BPCRs that you gents have but have a perspective on some aspects of the discussion.

Not thinking paper patch has any inherent accuracy advantage over well constructed GG loads, but do think it might be more tolerant of less precise dimensions. It certainly cures the leading issue and provides for higher velocity potential.

Dry/lubed patches/wads...lot of ground to cover there. It seems to me that any combination may work, depending on gun and load.

Sights: I use them all but selection is driven by configuration as much as application. Configuration means design to me. I've not used a vernier sight for hunting, but wouldn't rule it out. Put me in the western prairies and maybe so. My observation is that some vernier sight configurations are more robust than others.

Don't know exactly what y'all mean by barrel sights, but I tend to take it as ramp and leaf or notch sights. If that's correct I would respond that some can be very precise but not necessarily quick. Fine bead and vee notch as example. At the other extreme, English express sights can be stunningly fast while at the same time adequate in precision for DGR use.

Tang/receiver sights: I don't differentiate between the two in application and have hunted for decades with both. While not promoting either at the expense of other sight systems, there are a few points critical to speedy use. The gun must fit properly and the aperture must be larger than normal for target work. It need not be as large as the ghost ring concept. If those requisites are addressed, then tang/receiver sights can be employed as quickly as any express sight I've examined. In measured used they give up nothing in accuracy.

Lastly, a low powered scope used with both eyes open on a gun that fits the shooter is as effective as any other sight so far as speed of target acquisition and has some advantage in poor light.

That would be my .02 worth on BP/smokeless/wads/patches/sights.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 444Matt, 1_deuce, 10 invisible), 1,456 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.