Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
What have the reviews of the newer Tasco scopes been like? I'm thinking about one of the Target/Varmint/Tactical type scopes in 6-24x or even the 10-40x. Would go on an inexpensive rifle with virtually no recoil.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy quality buy less often.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only Tasco scopes worth even looking at are the Japanese ones. The Tasco Titan, World Class Plus were made in japan as too were some of the World Class scopes. It should be printed on the body of the tube.

Forget ones made in China or elsewhere..........

Gus

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gus_K,

How long has Tasco been made in China? I don't know where my Tascos were made, but they seem to be about as good as my other scopes.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ringman
Gus_K,

How long has Tasco been made in China? I don't know where my Tascos were made, but they seem to be about as good as my other scopes.

Ring,
That's a good question - I may actually ask someone who may know and get back to the forum....
Gus

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I've only had one and it was a World Class IV in 3-12X40, I think. I bought it and put it on a Handi-rifle in 243 Win for my wife. She shot her first moose with it, and used it for several years. It seemed to hold up okay. Guessing it was about a 1990-93 vintage. Sold it with the rifle. She now has a Burris on a Tikka 30-06 (Older version rifle) and it is FAR superior in all aspects. A few bucks more, but worth it.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I do not know where it was made, but #1 SIL has one on a .17 Rem. 700, and it is a coyote killing machine. It came with the rifle used, and he has never seen a need to replace it. His regular hunter has a Swarovski 3-10, so he knows what a good scope is like. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Tasco World Class 3-9x 40mm that I purchased new in early 1996 was made in Korea. It lasted for 765 rounds of 303 British on a sporterized #4 Lee-Enfield before it crapped out in 2007. The rifle now has a 4-12x 40mm Redfield with the accu-range reticle and it's a lot better than the Tasco ever was.

Last edited by 22250rem; 05/12/12. Reason: spelling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my 56 year old eyes won't look thru anything of less quality than a leupold scope anymore

at least i won't shell out money for anything of less quality than a leupold

today at 325 yards i could see .204 bullet holes plain as day punched thru a steel target with my swarovski 4-12

save up your money and buy once - cry once

i ain't crying about the swarovski and the nightforce

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Darn! I was hoping to hear the newer ones had improved. I'm normally a Leupold man and dont mind ponying up for nice scopes on rifles that go on hunts for what may turn out to be once in a lifetime animals. My problem is I love buying and trying different rifles, but hate to spend the money on a great scope for each one. I usually get great deals on the rifles and scopes dont seem to be on sale as much. Thought maybe i'd try a Tasco since this rifle would only be used on paper and maybe coyotes, but sounds like I should probably go with a lower magnification Leupold if I want to lower the price.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
While it is not bad advise to buy the best optics your wallet can afford, there is nothing wrong with a Tasco if that is what you can afford....

Sure I'd love to have a lot of big name scopes on ALL my rifles.. many of mine wear Leupolds... but not all..

I wear Specs... so I buy scopes I can see thru.. regardless of the name on them..a few brands I won't touch, due to knowing they are junk from personal experiences... Barska and BSA are a pair I wouldn't purchase...

I do know the higher magnification tho you go and the more bells and whistles, yet with low price.. is not an option if you want a durable scope...I ended up with a Tasco 10 x 40 x 44 mm...

It was given to me... and then it was given by me to someone else... I may still have one around here, I don't know... I just know I had no use for it...

at the same time, I don't care how 'good' the glass may be, I can see very well out of many scopes past 14 power, or past 20 power on the best of them, regardless of their max magnification..

take a Leupold 45 straight power BR Scope... no matter how I try, it looks like looking thru a dirty fish bowl full of water to me...great optics of course, but poor eye sight on my end..

so if you can see thru it, and it will hold up under the rifle calibers recoil... go with whatever is good for you and good for your budget....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
banjomule,

I wonder how many of these "experts" have actually used a Tasco of any vintage. I use them a lot and recommend them a lot. In all that I have not had a failure on one of my rifles.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had and used several Tasco World Class scopes and while they were certainly adequate when I was poor and uneducated there are many better scopes out there than most Tascos for not much more money.
Just about any used Burris FFII is better as are Bushnell 3200's or the best bargain out there if you can still find one, a $200 Elite 4200 3-9x40.
All of these blow the non-Titan Tascos away.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am not poor nor uneducated. Both my car and truck were paid for without payments. My Swarovski and Bushnell 6500 did not require payments. I paid cash for my boat. Not only that I got a GED when I was fifty-one. How many can say that?

And yet my experience with Burris of any price have included sounding like a baby rattle on my .375 when a Tasco lasted as long as I wanted to leave it mounted. My experience with Burris on my .223 is Burris 8-32X Signature is three failures. Replaced with a Tasco and troubles went away.

No matter how good a 3-9X is the Tasco 4-16X glass is so good there is no contest when one wants to see more detail. You just can't turn a 9X up to 12X or 13X or more.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I merely related my actual experience with Tasco scopes and my subsequent experience with other scopes which I find are far superior.
Your results obviously differ from mine but my conclusions are just that, my conclusions.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I had a Tasco World Class on my 760 in .308. The tubes separated after a couple of years use. For the price, I would pass. The classifieds is a great place to obtain quality optics for good prices. Personally, I think the Nikon ProStaff as a baseline optic and work up from there. Especially on center fires.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not to stir the pot, but I have had a Tasco World Class 3-9x40 TV View on my 760 308 since about 1993. Still hasn't took a crap and I even took it off for a few months and put it on my first 7 mag to see how it shot.
It was made in Taiwan according to the sticker.
Obviously not the best optics, but clear enough to allow me to make a 517 yard shot on a little coues with very little light left. Figure no need to change the scope if its not broke.

I am now a big fan of the Vortex scopes. I enjoy them and find them good for the money. Days of the Tasco on any new rifle is long gone.

On a side note, my dad is still old school and he had me mount a blister pack Tasco he got at wally world for $30 on his 30-06 Savage. After about 100 rounds now, the stupid thing still hasn't took a crap. I hate the scope, but he thinks its the best thing on earth. Some people never grow out of the old ways I guess.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can prolly say of the Tasco what people say about the .30-30 -- it has brought down more deer than any other.

I have long believed that cheap scopes are not as bad as many people say. Yes, they have their detractors, but with as many of them as are out there, few people are actually complaining about them.

My view:
(1.) Buy the best you can afford.
(2.) Don't be ashamed about it.

It's like anything else. A mansion isn't a starter home.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A bad shooter will make any scope look bad, so will a bad rifle.

I had a Leupold take a crap on me, thought my rifle had developed a problem. Got shed of the rifle and kept the scope and mounted it on my new rifle before it hit me... twas the scope all along.
Wish I had that rifle back wink

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was kind of disappointed when my Tasco World Class, (mentioned in my earlier post), died after 11 years cause for all those years there were no problems with it at all. My only complaint was that it wasn't as bright as any of my Leupolds. I've compared it to them at twilight off the back deck looking down the field behind me. I was low on $$ when I got it and I knew it wasn't a Leupy but it always functioned well. I've seen other Tascos that survive and thrive for many years but I'm still a Leupold guy. Even though I'll admit to having a BSA 2-7x 32mm on my 10/22 since 1999, but it's just a plinker/squirrel gun and I'm still waiting for that one to crap out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,505 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,192
Posts18,484,986
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.