Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bufaf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I originally posted this in the classified a few days ago in the hope of getting someone to buy it so that I didn't have to....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=284099381

Nobody did! Thanks alot guys...I'm trying to save money!

Anyway, I'll soon have this very heavy .375 that I need to do something with. I have a .375 Ruger and do not need two .375s at this point. I've heard of people having these rebored to bigger calibers and keeping the original barrel because of those beautiful express sights. What can I have this rebored to, and who is able to do so? I just want to rebore and hopefully not have to do anything else to the rifle. I had one of these before, so I know how heavy they are. If I'm going to carry that much weight, I'd prefer to have a bigger caliber. What can I do with this rifle? 500A2? 470 Capstick? Would prefer to have something that the rifle is not factory chambered in, so no 458 Lott or 416 Rigby.

Thanks,
Rob

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by bufaf
I originally posted this in the classified a few days ago in the hope of getting someone to buy it so that I didn't have to....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=284099381

Nobody did! Thanks alot guys...I'm trying to save money!

Anyway, I'll soon have this very heavy .375 that I need to do something with. I have a .375 Ruger and do not need two .375s at this point. I've heard of people having these rebored to bigger calibers and keeping the original barrel because of those beautiful express sights. What can I have this rebored to, and who is able to do so? I just want to rebore and hopefully not have to do anything else to the rifle. I had one of these before, so I know how heavy they are. If I'm going to carry that much weight, I'd prefer to have a bigger caliber. What can I do with this rifle? 500A2? 470 Capstick? Would prefer to have something that the rifle is not factory chambered in, so no 458 Lott or 416 Rigby.

Thanks,
Rob

"Very heavy"? So you are caught up in the featherweight rifle fad too? I do not think the barrel thick enough for the .470C or especially the .500 A-Sq. Were you in Anchorage I'd let you fire my .500 so you could get a feel for it. Mine weighs 13 pounds.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
You might consider the 400 H&H or the 404 Jeffrey. It would make a great 404 Jeff.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
B
bufaf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by TheKuskokid

"Very heavy"? So you are caught up in the featherweight rifle fad too? I do not think the barrel thick enough for the .470C or especially the .500 A-Sq. Were you in Anchorage I'd let you fire my .500 so you could get a feel for it. Mine weighs 13 pounds.

Yes, Very heavy for a 375. I have light rifles and heavy rifles. This one, IMO is too heavy for a 375. My 375 Ruger is a lot lighter than the RSM, and more powerful to boot. I was in Anchorage from 1998 to 2002. Wish I was still there.

Doing a little research on accurate reloading.com, RSMs have been rebored to 470 Capstick and 500A2. I'm trying to find the easiest and cheapest way to do this. And it's looking to be the Capstick I think!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
470 Capstick! You know you want to!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've seen the RSM rebored to 505 Gibbs (or was that 500 Jeffrey) by a gunsmith in Louisville, KY 12-14 years ago-- LINK. It was a normal portion of their business and they always had a few in the shop ready to ship out or up for sale. I recall asking about recoil and accuracy and the reply was something about plenty of the former and enough of the latter........

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gorgeous rifle! I would tend toward a 416 Remington. Minimal changes to the rifle and a good all around caliber for the bigs. Recoil should be manageable from a rifle of this size, as well.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe that version of the RSM had a heavier barrel contour than the later version with the barrel band swivel. It may even have enough material to bore to a .458 being it is a truck axle for a 375. Having had two of the later versions, I do believe they are too stout for a 375 chambering and are better suited for the larger chamberings where you'd welcome the heavy weight.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
i'd love to have that RSM to go along with my #1 Just a little too much $$ for me right now

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
how about a 404 jeffrey

IC B3

B
bufaf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I hear that the 404 Jefferey is a bear to make feed right. I don't wish for this rifle to be a project that needs a lot of work. I'd like something that would be reliable with just a rebore and rechamber.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
my next will be a 416 rigby if i ever get another big boy

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
There is only one choice.... .470 Capstick. You can pop 400 gr Speers pistol ammo through it like a kitten or make roar and kill elephants and water buffalos with it!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hear that the 404 Jefferey is a bear to make feed right. I don't wish for this rifle to be a project that needs a lot of work. I'd like something that would be reliable with just a rebore and rechamber.

Exactly why I suggested the 416 Remington. I love my 416 Rigby, and that would be a GREAT round to do that rifle in, but for quick, easy, cheap and effective? The 416 Remington is it. Just a rebore/rechember and you are done.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
bufaf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by safariman

Exactly why I suggested the 416 Remington. I love my 416 Rigby, and that would be a GREAT round to do that rifle in, but for quick, easy, cheap and effective? The 416 Remington is it. Just a rebore/rechember and you are done.

From what I've been reading, it appears that the 470 Capstick would be the same....except maybe for the cheap part. I've got an email in to Clearwater Reboring in Colville, WA...waiting patiently to hear what he says. I know he's done this before. My biggest rifle currently is my 375 Ruger, and I would like a big boomer! I had a 458 for a while and that wasn't bad at all.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by safariman

Depending on whether you have enough barrel diameter to do the 470 Capstick, it's a simple rebore and rechamber as well since it is based on the 375 H&H case. You can always load it down to 470 NE levels as well (should kick about as hard as a 458 Win Mag at 470 NE levels).

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
You can load a Cappy way below .470 NE levels using the multitude of .475 pistol bullets to make an awesome big bore, soft recoiling, plinker/deer gun. Load it with full charges and solids, it'll core through any critter on the planet. (with more recoil of course!)

B
bufaf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
And I have a .480 Super Redhawk, so I already have a supply of bullets. I think, as long as the gunsmith approves, it will become a .470 Capstick!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKHuck
You can load a Cappy way below .470 NE levels using the multitude of .475 pistol bullets to make an awesome big bore, soft recoiling, plinker/deer gun. Load it with full charges and solids, it'll core through any critter on the planet. (with more recoil of course!)

I'd bet that those pistol bullets, loaded ot the full potential of the 470 Capstick, would turn a deer just about inside OUT! DRT, baby smile smile

I like the plan!

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
And I have a .480 Super Redhawk, so I already have a supply of bullets. I think, as long as the gunsmith approves, it will become a .470 Capstick!

I have a Ruger 480 also. I've been struggling with having my Win 70 classic Capsticked. This thread might just push me over the edge!

I've been told that if someone is cutting you a new chamber, have them cut your dies to match. Anyone ever done this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,781
Posts18,477,129
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.