Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i would rethink the position as being "mine" were someone at 200 poping rounds towards me.
But I can promise you that he's not going to keep his head up high with ANY .22's pouring in on him. its called suppressive fire.
My point is that i plan for the 99%, not the 1%.
you cant cover every concievable mental masturbation idea.
What goods the AR-15 going to do if the guys 600 yards away and shooting a lapua?
See?
But I am going to have a lot of ammo in my bag, a lot of stores more and i'm not going to spend near the same amount of resources to aquire them.
And a zombie shot in the head with a 22LR is more deannimated than one shot in the body with a 12 ga.
eek[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I know it's taking this discussion another direction, but how is your SHTF 10/22 set up? I like your philosophy.

Last edited by turkish; 05/18/12.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You shouldn't be counting on fragmentation with any load/rifle or combination thereof. Yes, it can happen somewhat reliably at the right ranges, not arguing that -- but you don't want to /expect/ it to. Yawing and whatnot's great, but count on shooting multiple rounds (or aiming for the head, if you're hunting or have a premeditated shot to break). Not only is it good to get used to in case somebody/thing takes that many rounds, but it's a human tendency under stress to shoot till they're dead.

Find the cheapest load that's 100% in your gun(s) and roll with it. Lots of cheap ammo's better than less good ammo, in general. If you have the means of setting up a cache of high-quality ammo, though, go for it. Just make sure you've got some food, too. laugh

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Yeah...

I have the same delima...

"Find the cheapest load that's 100% in your gun(s) and roll with it. Lots of cheap ammo's better than less good ammo"

Also I perscribe to the "22LR" school.

Once up on a time...
I was garage sailing with a friend.
He bought about a dozen butter knives for like a dollar or something cheep. I ask em why.
He told me that "a butter knife was better then nothing"...

I'd rather have 1k of cheep stuff then 20 of good stuff...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I know of one guy who has a lot of assets at his disposal. He shoots a bunch and owns many very cool firearms. His shtf rifle is an old SMLE jungle carbine backed up by an old 1911. If he has to run out the back door quickly, that's what he's taking.

Evan Marshall has Mosin Nagant carbines due to the lack of expense for the firearm and a goodly supply of ammunition.

A friend of mine...former military retired...generally always had a .22 handgun available...either a Ruger Single Six flatgate.....he wore it out, or a Colt Woodsman. When he deployed, one of these went along, plus a brick or two of ammo which will go a long way if applied carefully.

So, we don't always have to have the latest or the best to get the job done. We just have to be really good with what we can afford.

IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Dave93
Evan Marshall has Mosin Nagant carbines due to the lack of expense for the firearm and a goodly supply of ammunition.
Problem is, he's starting to think that he's going to need it a little bit too eagerly... crazy

Last edited by UPhiker; 05/19/12.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ringworm
i would rethink the position as being "mine" were someone at 200 poping rounds towards me.
But I can promise you that he's not going to keep his head up high with ANY .22's pouring in on him. its called suppressive fire.
My point is that i plan for the 99%, not the 1%.
you cant cover every concievable mental masturbation idea.
What goods the AR-15 going to do if the guys 600 yards away and shooting a lapua?
See?
But I am going to have a lot of ammo in my bag, a lot of stores more and i'm not going to spend near the same amount of resources to aquire them.
And a zombie shot in the head with a 22LR is more deannimated than one shot in the body with a 12 ga.
eek[Linked Image]

Off topic a hair here, but if the guy is 600 with a lapua, he better nail me first shot... my AR is very capable at 600.. first round kill capable.

But when you get into this crazy SHTF stuff... as noted, you can't carry much ammo... one train of thought says the wife and I need a shotgun, a small rifle and pistol, both 22 with cans, and some type of rifle, be it AR or other. Thats assuming we have to leave present digs. If not there is plenty here to deal with any issues that may arise.

And as I've noted before... there will be plenty more weapons and ammo as long as you win the fights.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Old_Fat_Guy
Yeah...

I have the same delima...

"Find the cheapest load that's 100% in your gun(s) and roll with it. Lots of cheap ammo's better than less good ammo"

Also I perscribe to the "22LR" school.

Once up on a time...
I was garage sailing with a friend.
He bought about a dozen butter knives for like a dollar or something cheep. I ask em why.
He told me that "a butter knife was better then nothing"...

I'd rather have 1k of cheep stuff then 20 of good stuff...

qualify taht with cheap, as long as its reliable and I can go with it to an extent. Though most SMLES or Nagants won't have the range of a better gun if anyone thinks thats an issue.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Every man has to place his own bets and live with the outcome.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by turkish
I know it's taking this discussion another direction, but how is your SHTF 10/22 set up? I like your philosophy.

Box stock. wood handle.
I want it to look as benign as possible. I dont want the added attention of an "assault rifle".

In additon to the fact that a 22LR is going to be able to gather game better than a .223 is.
Ever seen a tree rat hit with a .223?
weight, space, cost, recoil, wear and tear, public perception, muzzleblast, noise, and effectivness on game and goblin's...
I will take a 22LR anyday over an AR, AK, mini, ect.
And for all you guys who are warming up your lips to say..."Yeah, but you cant reload the 22LR, SO THERE."
Yeah, I cant. I dont have to. I can spend the equal amount of money on bullets, primers, powder and buy more LOADED 22LR.
You plan on stopping in a firefight to pick up your brass?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Slow down Hoss, I have several thousand rounds of 22lr ammo to go with my benign buckmark pistol...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You going into a firefight now with a 22lr?

As to tree rats and 223.... I don't do the cajun skull thing, no more damage from a 223 than a 22 compared to edible amounts of meat anyway.

But I do see the points from both camps.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
No. I am throwing suppressive fire and getting TFOD. You want to get into a firefight?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What the hell are you guys talking about a new video game?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Dont know, rost is headed into a firefight and I'm running away. This is a pretty slick bugger huh?
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
M
Metplat Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I screwed a 16" bull on my 10/22, lost the band and cut off the factory fore-end nub and refinished the stock after scratching out the barrel channel to make it fit.

I love that little rifle and so does my wife. Shoots tiny little groups too. Got one of those triggers from those folks that make all that aftermarket 10-22 stuff, forgot the name! LOL

Might get another 10-22 someday soon.

I read somewhere years ago (cannot document source) that the Israeli Defense Force bought some 10-22's for crowd control, the tactic being to shoot low at the legs to disperse rowdies bent on killing but they gave up the idea when too many folks got out right killed. If that article was true or not I cannot tell. I would not want to get shot with one for sure. It would probaly hurt, or worse.

7mm 7mm 7mm
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Dont know, rost is headed into a firefight and I'm running away. This is a pretty slick bugger huh?
[Linked Image]

nope not headed into one either, you said you wouldn't stop to pickup up 223 brass in a firefight, just got me to wondering if you were taking the 22lr into a firefight.

M
Metplat Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Ringworm...

Who makes that stock? I like it.

7mm 7mm 7mm
M
Metplat Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Hey Rost! I got an idea...

I have a friend who cobbles and has a lathe. He bought a savage and got a barrel and cut a 223 chamber "just so" for a 55 grainer. It was a bolt gun obviously. It worked real well.

I am wondering if I was to get a build with a chamber cut to maximize accuracy with the 75grain hornady? In an AR. A guy down the road will do a build for near about the price of a factory rifle out the box.

Just thinking out loud here...

Most AR 5.56 nato chambers have rather long leade if I understand it rightly..

7mm 7mm 7mm
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rost495
[Linked Image]

nope not headed into one either, you said you wouldn't stop to pickup up 223 brass in a firefight, just got me to wondering if you were taking the 22lr into a firefight.

I would never, under any reason i can fathom, enter into a fire fight of my own volition.
If i knew it was coming i would run.
If i dont know its coming it doesnt matter what rifle i have in my hands i am kinda forced to use that.
I dont share doomsday dreams with a lot or prepers. I like my life the way it is now.
Now this isnt directed at you personally but to whatever person it applies.
What makes you think that because you have an AR, AK ect that you are going to beat me in a firefight if all i have is a 22?
You put that much emphasis on gear?
Some of the best armed folks in the world wouldnt stand a chance against the right/ wrong person armed with a 22.
Its the training, the experience and the know how that wins fights.
Those who focus on gear are usually under the impression that the gear makes the difference. The reaon they do is so they dont have to face the fact that all they have is gear and equipment. That when it comes to what really matters they are empty handed.
Stay ready and you aint got to get ready.
the is more to survival than bullets.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,269
Posts18,486,588
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.