Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll need more than a .22LR when the end of the world comes. I have an ample supply of freeze dried pop tarts that will need defending!

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't want to be on a two way range with anyone, anytime, for any reason, against even a BB gun. I leave you experts to wax poetic regards the attributes of your favorite imaginary scenario.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ringworm
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by ringworm
Dont know, rost is headed into a firefight and I'm running away. This is a pretty slick bugger huh?
[Linked Image]

nope not headed into one either, you said you wouldn't stop to pickup up 223 brass in a firefight, just got me to wondering if you were taking the 22lr into a firefight.

I would never, under any reason i can fathom, enter into a fire fight of my own volition.
If i knew it was coming i would run.
If i dont know its coming it doesnt matter what rifle i have in my hands i am kinda forced to use that.
I dont share doomsday dreams with a lot or prepers. I like my life the way it is now.
Now this isnt directed at you personally but to whatever person it applies.
What makes you think that because you have an AR, AK ect that you are going to beat me in a firefight if all i have is a 22?
You put that much emphasis on gear?
Some of the best armed folks in the world wouldnt stand a chance against the right/ wrong person armed with a 22.
Its the training, the experience and the know how that wins fights.
Those who focus on gear are usually under the impression that the gear makes the difference. The reaon they do is so they dont have to face the fact that all they have is gear and equipment. That when it comes to what really matters they are empty handed.
Stay ready and you aint got to get ready.
the is more to survival than bullets.

I think we are on the wrong subject here. Its you that chimed in that you would not stop to pick up 223 brass in a fire fight which led to your talking about a 22, and which I SIMPLY asked, were you thinking of using a 22 in a firefight?

Me, I'm on the exact same page as you are RE the fights. I'll avoid every last one if I possibly can.

And I"m with you on the 22, I"ve often said one of the best tools in a scenario that will never happen anyway, will be a 22 with a can. Even if its a single shot, it will be ONE of the most useful tools you can have.

Evidently I misunderstood your statement about brass and a 223 and firefight.

Bottom line is back to the old statement... its the Indian, not the arrow.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Metplat
Hey Rost! I got an idea...

I have a friend who cobbles and has a lathe. He bought a savage and got a barrel and cut a 223 chamber "just so" for a 55 grainer. It was a bolt gun obviously. It worked real well.

I am wondering if I was to get a build with a chamber cut to maximize accuracy with the 75grain hornady? In an AR. A guy down the road will do a build for near about the price of a factory rifle out the box.

Just thinking out loud here...

Most AR 5.56 nato chambers have rather long leade if I understand it rightly..

The LAST think you want is a chamber that is built for one specific ammo in a SHTF thinking scenario. and in a SHTF scenario, accuracy is far from the most important thing I'm after.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The S has HTF on several occasions here in the US. I live in tornado alley, others live in hurricane areas and evidently, we all live in earthquake prone areas. I may be dumber than most but I've worked hard for what little I've gathered up, I will stand and fight to protect me and mine.

We had 8 people shot after a ball game this past week, it doesn't have to be the end of the whole world. Heck it might just be Zimmerman set free to start the next riots where I would want more than a 22... but to each his own.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR

We had 8 people shot after a ball game this past week, it doesn't have to be the end of the whole world.

Exactly, it only has to be the end of YOUR little paradise.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have been lucky.
I have only been through the Miami Riots after Lozano, Andrew, Kobe Earthquake, Bertha and Fran.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That right there, a 22 with a silencer really sounds like a lot of fun! A 10 22 would be a "riot".

Last edited by jimmyp; 05/24/12.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I wouldn't call a little civil unrest as SHTF.

And we are always ready for something minor like that. I figured everyone had a stash of some type of ARs, shotguns, rifles, handguns and while I don't keep a lot of ammo around, we do keep an amount of components. Figuring if you have 5K or so of loaded ammo for the semis, and 1000 or more for the rest not counting typically having 10 cases of 22lr around, you are set for the minor stuff.

SHTF is much more serious than that IMHO. Its the collapse of the USA as we know it, and I don't see that happening in my lifetime, either financially or via some type of take over/invasion...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
FK ammo. I horde coffee. I must have 35-40 chockfull of nuts cans. If the world goes to chit I'm not gonna be stuck drinking chickory.
I figure tobacco is grown locally but coffee?
Ever seen a hard core coffee drinker after about 2 days without a fix? Makes heroin withdrawl look like an runny nose.

Results of the Johns Hopkins study should result in caffeine withdrawal being included in the next edition of the DSM or the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, considered the bible of mental disorders, and the diagnosis should be updated in the World Health Organization's ICD, or The International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems.

"Caffeine is the world's most commonly used stimulant, and it's cheap and readily available so people can maintain their use of caffeine quite easily," says Roland Griffiths, Ph.D., professor of psychiatry and neuroscience at Johns Hopkins. "The latest research demonstrates, however, that when people don't get their usual dose they can suffer a range of withdrawal symptoms, including headache, fatigue, difficulty concentrating. They may even feel like they have the flu with nausea and muscle pain."

In their review, the researchers identified 57 experimental studies and nine survey studies on caffeine withdrawal, and examined each to assess the validity of the reported findings.

The researchers identified five clusters of common withdrawal symptoms: headache; fatigue or drowsiness; dysphoric mood including depression and irritability; difficulty concentrating; and flu-like symptoms of nausea, vomiting and muscle pain or stiffness. In experimental studies, 50 percent of people experienced headache and 13 percent had clinically significant distress or functional impairment -- for example, severe headache and other symptoms incompatible with working.

According to the report, caffeine is the most widely used behaviorally active drug in the world. In North America, 80 percent to 90 percent of adults report regular use of caffeine.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
exactly why I don't horde ammo, I keep enough around, and seeds, and dry goods and such stashed and sealed. Just enough to keep things going.

Thankfully I've never been addicted to things like nicotine or caffeine drug wise, nor alcohol or the like or worse. Just one less thing to worry about.

I've seen what happens out in the bush in AK when we ran out of coffee for one guy though that was a hardcore drinker... about like when my boss stops dipping for 1-3 days every so often... ain't pretty.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I use to drink 6-8 mountain dews a day and dipped copenhagen. Gave all that up, even the caffeine. I think we'd be better off getting in better shape and eating right than stockpiling ammo. It's funny watching guys at the range with all their tactical gear, being out of breath walking back from the 100 yard line...

I'm 47 and average running 3 miles a day, what did you do today to prepare? grin

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Funny. I"m 47 too, and not right now, but have run 3 miles a day at times. I"m lifting due to joining a fire department, and doing the insane workout as I have time.

But yes its not only funny to watch those out of breath, but its not so funny when you find yourself in that shape at times too. I"m beat when I come out of a structure fire. I'd prefer not to feel that tired.

Education, a bit of a stash, and lots of knowledge will go a long ways. And one reason I never figured on having a large stash of ammo, how the heck would you pack it if you had to leave for whatever reason....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
right now I am only bike riding, I pulled a muscle in my back between my shoulder blades "at the gym", but we rode 30 miles on Sunday and plan to ride 40 this weekend. Stockpiling ammo is too dangerous, I just don't believe in it.

I am just a 59 year old country boy that grew up in a different era, but I am pretty sure I will NOT "bug out to the moooounnuntains" just sit right here with my coffee and beer.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Curious, how do you assume the stockpiling is dangerous?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Just has to be dangerous, why I would never dream of stockpiling ammo! whistle

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've been thinking about a bike. Seems like it'd be a lot softer on my old body. I've been switching between running 3.5 miles a day, to 5 miles every other day and doing 6.5 miles on Saturdays. I have cut my 10k down to 1 hour 08 minutes (actually 6.49 miles) not fast by any means but not bad.

Throwing a bike in there on my off days should let my muscles rest while still keeping the heart rate up.

Of course I don't know what this has to do with a SHTF load but here we are....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
We have a couple of the trek 7100 hybrids and have really enjoyed them, but we find ourselves riding further all the time and only on paved trails, thinking about looking at something a little more streamlined with a narrower tire. Best thing we ever did was get the bikes, and with a couple of backpacks we can go to the grocery store and use no gas!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR
I've been thinking about a bike. Seems like it'd be a lot softer on my old body. I've been switching between running 3.5 miles a day, to 5 miles every other day and doing 6.5 miles on Saturdays. I have cut my 10k down to 1 hour 08 minutes (actually 6.49 miles) not fast by any means but not bad.

Throwing a bike in there on my off days should let my muscles rest while still keeping the heart rate up.

Of course I don't know what this has to do with a SHTF load but here we are....

Well, having a good mountain bike is good SHTF planning, IMO. I try to bike about once a week and run twice each week. That combined with about three scaled Crossfit workouts gets the job done

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Bikes have always been easier on my body and joints than running, but running is always much less complicated as in I have to get to a safer place to ride the road bikes, the gravel road and pasture here isn't their friend.

I suppose I could go mountain bike but for some reason that doesn't interest me much. Maybe due to an occasional duathlon.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (1Longbow, 204guy, 257Bob, 12344mag, 25classic, 2500HD, 60 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,992
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.