-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why is it hard to pull the barreled action on a No. 1? Just curious. Probably been said, but wood compression over the years, due to many factors, can happen to single shots as well as bolt actions.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It isn't too tough to take the forend and buttstock off a No. 1, though it does involve more work than removing the action screws on a bolt rifle.

My objection was more to word usage than the actual task. On a bolt action we remove the screws, then actually pull the barreled action out of the stock. With a No. 1, we pull the buttstock off the rear of the action, and the forend off the barrel.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got you. I missed the subtle humor, but it may be an East/West thing. I usually pull the buttstock off the barreled action of my Ruger but lift the barreled action out of the stock on my Winchester 70. Hopefully I don't have to do either much.
I'm always looking for an answer that I haven't run into before to questions like the OP put up.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Shooter error! Lol

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
This has happened to me three times. First time drove me crazy. I even sold a beautiful and likely accurate rifle, after floating, action bedding, and full bedding. Then I discovered loose rings when I went to put the scope on another rifle. Second time didn't take so long to find the problem, as I am usually a fairly quick study. The other time was on a Mini-14 with one of those "dastardly" B-square mounts. I could never keep it tight enough that the bolt didn't shake it loose after several shots and the wandering zero would return. Solution=Ranch Rifle. Best wishes, jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Well, my #1H in 405 Winchester tosses 300 grain X bullets downrange at 2450 fps into a decent group. Ain't a tack drivin' bench rest rifle, but it's accurate enough for a 12 pound sledge hammer. wink BTW, box stock in every aspect except the scope.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Those .405 No. 1's usually shoot. The one I had for a while would put about any bullet and load into 1-1/2" or less. It shot the Barnes really well, but did around 1/2" to 3/4" with the 400-grain Woodleigh!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Been happy with mine. Hope to poke a hole in some flesh this year. Betting it will kill moose right fine.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
bullet seating depth, move in/out .010 at a time and see which it likes best

is that extra 25fps worth detonation?
NRA life member
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Scope parallax and where your putting your eye ball

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Well, ok. But no matter if you 'pull' it, 'remove' it, 'miracle' or 'transmogrify' the barrelled action off; the problem's in the bedding or the union of wood to metal... most probably.

I had a #1 go south ( or north, if you prefer) because the fore end cracked. I deduced that to be a bedding or union or fitting of wood to metal problem.

So, unless the distressed poster bent the barrel, horrified the the crown or mounted his scope (or rifle telescope) with silly putty, the problem must lie somewhere within the stockal area.
crazy
O

Too old to suffer fools
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
OUTCAST,

It seems that even though you and I might differ in our terms about taking stocks off barreled actions, we're in complee agreement that something has gone sour in the bedding. (Of course, a bunch of other opinions have been posted on this thread, mostly by people who apparently never read the original post. But that's real common on the Campfire.)

But since Fraser has never come back to this thread since very early on, we'll never know if our guess was right!

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Shoot him a PM.

F
Fraser Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I haven't bailed out on this thread just too busy with work and coaching track and field to further test the issues. I have however been reading here, learning and thinking. When I get back at it I will be focusing on bedding and getting back here with results.

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Life does interfere with rifle shooting a lot of the time!

John Steinbeck
F
Fraser Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Yeah, I'm not feeling too hard done by though. Bear baiting for the spring hunt has been taking up a lot of time and it has been going really well with the hunt set to start in 8 days. It does cut into shooting time though.

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
MD..,

Legend has it that some one, years ago, wrote an article on "Accurizing the #1". Maybe as far back as the 80s. I searched for that article for years, never found it, and no longer remember in which mag it was supposed to have appeared.

As I remember, it involved somehow free floating the forend, maybe glass bedding the portion where fore end meets hanger, and perhaps glass bedding the contact points of the butt stock.

So, if some jaded gunwriter in search of material had a mediocre #1 and the time and where with all to play with the bedding, he might have the basis for an article and could even become a hero to frustrated #1 owners.

Just a thought. whistle

O

Too old to suffer fools
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by Blackheart
It's a Ruger. You're supposed to patttern the damn things, not shoot for groups.

Yep, Rugers don't shoot for Schitt...

[Linked Image]

P

I agree with Pharmseller.......Blackheart, it's gracious of you to decide what everyone in your family will and won't shoot.....What a guy..... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have "Ruger Number 1, Bedding the fore-end to improve accuracy and zero retention" by Frank de Haas, Rifle Magazine, May-June 1977.

If you want a copy, send me a PM.

DF

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Dir..,

Stands to reason de Haas wrote the article. Thanks for the info. However, my days of 'Ruger Rastling' are over. One shot great out of the box, one took $700 in custom stocking to shoot one hole groups, the other was always fair at best and with a factory installed cracked fore end, I just traded it off.

I've kept a 30 Carbine Blackhawk; which defies all attempts to reload for it ( the second one) even after having it rechambered, as my eternal project gun.

Once I solve it's reloading problem (s), I'll write an article and become independantly rich.

O

Too old to suffer fools
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

254 members (257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 29aholic, 264mag, 31 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,501
Posts18,490,489
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.