Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Looking for a little help please. I'm looking for the most comfortable backpack out there. I've been using regular backpacks for years and these things suck. Would love something about the same size or a little bigger than a standard backpack. I use these for hunting only. I dont haul game out with them, just use them for all my gear. Would like to here from you guys on what you would recommend. Thanks.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
gunchamp, are you needing a day pack or one large enough for a 3-4 day hunt with the need to pack a tent or tarp, food, sleeping bag etc. etc.??

Last edited by Biggs300; 05/16/12.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Champ, just exactly what "regular" backpacks have you used?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
No need to pack a tent. By regular pack I mean something you would buy at your local sporting goods store. Sort of like a camo version of a school backpack. Probably anything out there would be better than what I've been using. Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
As you guys can see, this is something I dont know much about. I dont know whats out there or what to look for. Thats why I'm asking for some direction.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Humm, there are guys MUCH more knowledgeable than me with much more experience with different packs....

....so naturally I'm going to chime in. From what you've posted, It seems you just need a daypack. I have experience with an Eberlestock X-1 which would fit that profile. I like mine, it's built like a tank, can pack a day or two camp, certainly all gear for a day hunt and it can haul out meat. It's around $179 or so. It is sort of "hunting pack" specific considering the built in scabbard. If you aren't using it for hunting this would be and unnecessary feature.

But there are lighter weight alternatives that are well made if just a daypack is all you need. Some of the HillPeopleGear
http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/ packs are highly touted around here. The Tarahumara seems to be particularly well liked.

Last edited by snubbie; 05/16/12.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by gunchamp
No need to pack a tent. By regular pack I mean something you would buy at your local sporting goods store. Sort of like a camo version of a school backpack. Probably anything out there would be better than what I've been using. Thanks.

Got it. Something like this is top shelf:

http://www.kifaru.net/lateseason.html

Notice it is called the Late Season. It is a large day pack, big enough to hold a lot of warm clothing. The waistbelt can carry a LOT of weight. A bone-out whitetail will fit inside this pack. A loc-on stand and sticks can be lashed to this pack and the waistbelt will comfortably carry the load. I live down south, and use the next sized smaller Kifaru, the Spike Camp.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dana Design....

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If you buy either of Kifaru or Mystery Ranch you really can't go wrong. Find some people in your area who own one and try them on.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Kifaru which I like, but if I was looking for a daypack, I'd probably look at Eberlestock J34 or even an X1.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
For just day use, not hauling meat out, I like the Badlands "Pursuit" if I'm carrying spare clothing and maybe an electronic predator call, their Reactor if I'm just carrying water, ammo, and a snack.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Badlands 2200, best day pack I've ever used...

God Bless America!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With the cheaper backpacks(not Kifaru, MR,etc.) my rule is the less camo the more comfortable they are.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by redfoxx

I've got one. I like it as a hunting pack when I may be hauling a load of meat out but I don't particularly like it as a general use day pack for just woods-bumming. That's why I didn't recommend it.

Last edited by T_O_M; 05/17/12.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by redfoxx

I've got one. I like it as a hunting pack when I may be hauling a load of meat out but I don't particularly like it as a general use day pack for just woods-bumming. That's why I didn't recommend it.
Why, is it too big?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Big_W
With the cheaper backpacks(not Kifaru, MR,etc.) my rule is the less camo the more comfortable they are.

What?

I have an eberlestock blue widow (and yes it is camo)...and it's as comfy as anything else I've ever tried. I get it that some manufacturers make a crappy product and put some nice looking camo on it to help sell it, but I don't think I'd make it a "rule". Everybody's body type is different. Just about like boots IMO. You just have to find one that fits you right and feels good to you.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_O_M
For just day use, not hauling meat out, I like the Badlands "Pursuit" if I'm carrying spare clothing and maybe an electronic predator call, their Reactor if I'm just carrying water, ammo, and a snack.

Tell me more about the pursuit. How big is it? Is it comfortable? Thanks.

Last edited by gunchamp; 05/17/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Diyelker
I get it that some manufacturers make a crappy product and put some nice looking camo on it to help sell it

Exactly and I am not just talking about fit, I am talking about quality also. Quality means a thought out design, which equals fit, meaning comfort. I would take a REI, Osprey or old used Dana pack before I bought anything else with camo again. That includes Eberlstock and Badlands. Yes, I have tried them all and this is just my opinion. My advise when buying any pack is to stay away from camo backpacks. Camo sells gear to hunters, why do you think Cabelas sells a bunch of camo crap? Unless they are high quality and made from cordura, Multicam is about it right now. I am not "anti-camo", I have been wanting some gear in Multicam but I don't really need it.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
It'd be easier to make a recommendation if we had a better idea of how much stuff you carry in the pack both by bulk and weight. If you're not hauling meat then you don't need as heavy a frame or suspension. Matching the frame and suspension to the load is a huge part of pack comfort. The Badlands 2200 is a relatively small pack but it has a heavy duty frame and suspension suitable for carrying out a heavy load of meat. That heavier frame makes the pack a little stiffer and clunkier than you'd want for just bumming around the woods.

I'm guessing whatever you had before did not have a real frame, maybe just some plastic sheet to stiffen up the back some.

I think you'll find even with smaller loads that a real frame and fitted or adjustable suspension will make a big difference in comfort. The frame will help comfort in a couple of ways. First it will allow the weight of the pack contents to ride on the waist belt and off your shoulders. Next, it helps control the pack contents. Without a frame, pack contents head for the bottom of the pack, or when the pack is stuffed, the contents change the shape of the pack.

Even with small packs, fit is important. If your torso is too long on a fixed frame pack, then the waist belt won't work right. If you're too short for the pack, then the shoulder straps won't carry right when the waist belt is on. If you're a big guy in an undersized pack the angle of the shoulder straps will be all jacked up.

I use mostly backpacking gear but a lot of the small packs are geared to the ultralight crowd and are made of cloth that is on the light side for dragging around the woods. I think cordura is usually heavier than necessary but it is hell for stout. Nylon pack cloth is very durable and a little lighter than cordura.

A lot of the "tactical" or "assault" packs may be suitable for you if they have a real frame. They are about the right size range, have a hydration pocket and are made of stout materials in subdued colors. I have a 5.11 rush 72 that's very comfortable from small loads up to 3 days of stuff weighing around 30-35 pounds. It's a little big and bulky for knocking around the woods. It works well as travel luggage for me.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
I wont be using it for meat. Jusr gear, food, gps, coat, ammo ect.. The problem is that no one around here carries any nice ones. So I dcant try anything out first, which kinda sucks. By the way, I'm 6'4, 225lbs. I'm a pretty big guy. Hope this helps. Thanks.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (260Remguy, 12344mag, 1936M71, 007FJ, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,756
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.