-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ran Yamaha in the 80s. Switched to Hondas in the 90s; bought a new 300 TRX in 98 (which I still driver to work every day.) Honda is the generic term for an ATV in many parts of roadless Alaska which should tell you something. However, the newer tranverse engine Hondas have had problems from the beginning. Last September, my wife got a 450 Grizzley (when she asked me to choose whatever I wanted in an ATV.) It is 4WD with EPS - the best feature to come along on these machines when they are used on rough terrain. At the same time, we bought my mother-in-law a new machine. She wanted a Honda Rancher. We had hers set up essentially the same way. It has power steering as well. Our Grzz has 3400 miles on it right now and has been a great machine. In the cold, the crankcase breather iced up - it was -30 when any ATV has these problems. That caused a pressure build up in the crankcase. A seal blew out, pouring oil into the clutches and eventually smoking the belt. Having kids driving the machine did not help that situation I'm sure. The fix allowed me to see how well Yamaha has engineered these machines. Everything was easily done correctly without splitting the engine. All I had to do was pull covers off. It's a very well thought out engine. I was initially worried about the belt on these things. I believe that concern was unwarranted considering the design. The Honda didn't have such issues of course. Then again, Honda's EFI engines don't seem to be set up for operation - or starting anyway- in deep cold.

There are a lot of Hondas around here. It isn't uncommon to see them for sale for $500-1200 with blown engines. Newer Hondas have more trouble with their motors than did old Hondas. They also require different oils than did the old ones and the present Yamahas. (Honda presently specifies only motorcycle rated oil where automotive oils were okay in older models as well as current Yamaha [and Suzuki] ATVs.) Polaris machines run for a year or two and then get parked when used locally. They have a very good ride however.

I still like the older solid axle geared transmissions for road use. For off-road, all-terrain purposes, give me a Grizzly. The 450 is a great little carbed machine; I wouldn't disdain the fuel injected 550 either in a slightly bigger machine.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I believe them both to be among the best machines and will do most anything a hunter farmer/rancher would need from an ATV, and also consider both to be a bit tougher and more dependable than my Polaris 700 blush

Gunner

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I ran Yamaha in the 80s. Switched to Hondas in the 90s; bought a new 300 TRX in 98 (which I still driver to work every day.) Honda is the generic term for an ATV in many parts of roadless Alaska which should tell you something. However, the newer tranverse engine Hondas have had problems from the beginning. Last September, my wife got a 450 Grizzley (when she asked me to choose whatever I wanted in an ATV.) It is 4WD with EPS - the best feature to come along on these machines when they are used on rough terrain. At the same time, we bought my mother-in-law a new machine. She wanted a Honda Rancher. We had hers set up essentially the same way. It has power steering as well. Our Grzz has 3400 miles on it right now and has been a great machine. In the cold, the crankcase breather iced up - it was -30 when any ATV has these problems. That caused a pressure build up in the crankcase. A seal blew out, pouring oil into the clutches and eventually smoking the belt. Having kids driving the machine did not help that situation I'm sure. The fix allowed me to see how well Yamaha has engineered these machines. Everything was easily done correctly without splitting the engine. All I had to do was pull covers off. It's a very well thought out engine. I was initially worried about the belt on these things. I believe that concern was unwarranted considering the design. The Honda didn't have such issues of course. Then again, Honda's EFI engines don't seem to be set up for operation - or starting anyway- in deep cold.

There are a lot of Hondas around here. It isn't uncommon to see them for sale for $500-1200 with blown engines. Newer Hondas have more trouble with their motors than did old Hondas. They also require different oils than did the old ones and the present Yamahas. (Honda presently specifies only motorcycle rated oil where automotive oils were okay in older models as well as current Yamaha [and Suzuki] ATVs.) Polaris machines run for a year or two and then get parked when used locally. They have a very good ride however.

I still like the older solid axle geared transmissions for road use. For off-road, all-terrain purposes, give me a Grizzly. The 450 is a great little carbed machine; I wouldn't disdain the fuel injected 550 either in a slightly bigger machine.

Thanks Klikitarik,

Just looked at mine and it only has 1400 miles on it after 16yrs. And 0 miles on the road. I'm a Louisiana boy, at -30, I'd blow a gasket too.

You were very helpfull.

Doug

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a Honda Foreman which I bought second hand, it's 450, and I think it's a 1999. It's got 9000km's (5000 miles) on it. Runs like a champ and climbs like a goat.

Nothing fancy it just works and works.

Over the years I've driven Suzuki, Polaris, CanAm, Yamaha, Honda, and Arctic Cat. The only quad I've been stranded on - twice - were Yamaha Grizzly's. Lot of people swear by them but after the last time which was a 7 mile walk back to camp I don't believe I would consider owning one. Other than Yamaha I think they are all reasonably good or maybe I just had bad luck.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
ATVs are all-called "Hondas" by the ranchers around here also.

They've got 4 or 5 older Hondaas on the ranch where I moonlight in the summer--the owner is convinced that they outlast other brands when used/abused regularly over years.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Curious what the reason(s) for stranding were in those instances? Lots of Hondas stranded from time to time out here. Of course that isn't surprising considering the number of them. And 5000-10,000 miles/year is rather ordinary with any of them.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
The only quad I've been stranded on - twice - were Yamaha Grizzly's. Lot of people swear by them but after the last time which was a 7 mile walk back to camp I don't believe I would consider owning one. Other than Yamaha I think they are all reasonably good or maybe I just had bad luck.

Funny, as the only quad that has ever stranded me in similar circumstance as a Honda! I'd say we both just had bad luck . . .

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was on a East Texas lease for years where ATV's were the mode of transportation from camp to stand and back. Most were either Honda or Polaris and great fun was had when one or the other broke down or got stuck and was pulled in/out by the other!!

We had one Polaris that took a wave over the bike causing the belt to slip..it was towed in by a Honda 300, where the owner pulled the covers and put a hair dryer to work drying it out!!

The newer Polaris 700 series 4-wheelers were the caddys of the woods, better suspension, power and clearance then the ole Honda 300's, but the Honda's were great on gas and never broke down.

The newer Honda's that replaced the 300 series have had engine problems.....and it was rumored it was...because they never made any money on repairs to the 300 series engines.

Hopefully all this has been corrected now and you probably can't go wrong with either brand but you ought to ride each ATV, the ride is much different.

Good Luck!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
There would be no complicated decision to make between a Polaris and a yamaha on my end. Not even a close decision for the yammi.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Who in the [bleep] makes a fancy Yellow side by side. Yellow wheels, hood, etc.?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would really, really like to catch those little weasel dick [bleep]. Small town, and I will find out.

Last edited by SamOlson; 05/19/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like a can am to me!

Have owned a pair of shaft drive Yamaha Moto 4's since buying them
new in 1986 and besides having to put only a recoil on one of them after many, many years of use, they still start and run incredibly well every year!! That's 26 years of use, I mean they don't owe us a Damn thing at this point!Oh and not to mention We paid $1,900
each for them in 1986 and I can still get at least a grand for each one tomorrow! My cousin owns a Honda 350 Rancher that she really likes as well.I have driven it and I loved the power range and the ride was excellent.I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Last edited by cnyarcher; 05/19/12.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Curious what the reason(s) for stranding were in those instances? Lots of Hondas stranded from time to time out here. Of course that isn't surprising considering the number of them. And 5000-10,000 miles/year is rather ordinary with any of them.

Evening Klik,

The first time was the fuel system, the second time was the electrical. The fuel system was on an older carburetor model. The float bowl sank and that was that. Luckily we were not to far out and still on good ground.

The second was a newer 700? Anyway nice bike until it quit. The part of the system that keeps the battery charged quit working and the machine ran out of spark a long way from camp.

I know folks that really like the Yamaha and have had good experience with them, just with my experience I won't buy one.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Probably a Can-Am.

Camp is where you make it.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
If your into mud riding, you might want to consider the Grizzly with the diff lock, otherwise i'd go with the Rancher AT with IRS, EPS, and Traxlox. The wife has one, it was a good trail machine until I did a gear change on it, now she can play in the mud whenever she wants too. The problem I found with the Rancher is that it is geared for trail riding and is geared way too high for slow, mud crawling or water crossings. With the gear change it turned it into an entirely different beast.

My next wheeler is probably going to be a 700 Grizzly since Honda doesn't want to build a Foreman with IRS.

The Rincon would be Honda's equivalent to a 700 Grizzly. The Rincon has IRS and a superior transmission IMO. The only downside with the Rincon is in hilly, mountainous terrain. That and that it lacks power steering.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 2006 Honda Rancher 4x4 thats been great,no problems
if I where going Yamaha I would look at the Big Bear

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grizzly 700's are the most popular around here . I moved up to the fuel injected 700 fron a 660, night and day difference and the power steering is great.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
In my mind, at least, I would also give Honda the edge in reliability.

How important is that to you? Almost everything does something better than a Honda...but not that. Ever.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cnyarcher
Sounds like a can am to me!

Yes, matches my local intel.....grin

Originally Posted by tzone
Probably a Can-Am.

They are going down.

The people I know used to have Honda ATV's but went Yamaha.
Honda makes good stuff. Their small engines are hard to beat.

Last edited by SamOlson; 05/20/12.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm leaning more and more toward the Grizzly 450 over the Honda Rancher 420AT. The more I read on the 'net, the more it looks like the Honda's new twin clutch automobile-style transmission is prone to problems. Even if the problems are actually few and far bewteen, I've read several comments that they are extremely expensive to repair/replace.

From what I've read, if the new AT on the Honda craps out, you are looking at a new tranny. Someone was quoted $2,900 for a replacement. crazy It seems like even a lot of guys on Honda forums are recommending the manual trans just to be safe.

I'm sure every brand throws out a lemon now and then, but it appears that the Yamaha CVT is tried-and-true and is serviceable if something does go awry.

This will be my first ATV. I'm sure my wife, 13 year-old son and nine year-old daughter will want to take it for a spin at some point. I tried teaching my wife how to drive a manual transmission car years ago, and it was a disaster. I think I really want the AT, and from what I've been reading, the Honda AT makes me nervous.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

150 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 30Gibbs, 20 invisible), 1,683 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,368
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.