-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are the new infareds any good? I also have to replace my three burner gasser because one burner is out and the screws are too rusted to get out without a cutting torch.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i just bought a brinkman stainless at home depot for $199. it has 4 burners and a side burner. i am a weber kettle guy but occasionally use gas so thats why it got this one to replace my charbroil cheapo that i got 10 years out of. the last 2 or 3 years was basically like cooking over a propane torch. this brink is nice so far.

My diploma is a DD214
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have cooked on nothing but a Weber Charcoal grill since 93 and never looked back. If I were going to buy a gas grill it would be a Weber. I have several friends with them and they have lasted the test of time.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I bought a side-box grill like this one at Lowe's tonight for about 200 bucks. http://www.chargriller.com/index.ph...&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1I have to install the side-box tomorrow morning and season it. I was going to try it out with a boston butt Fareway had for $1.88/lb., but the store was out until Monday. I picked up some ribs instead.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
My wife is a professional cooking writer so we have about half-a-dozen grills of various types, both gas and charcoal. Eileen eventually grew really weary of replacing $150 gas grills every couple years, along with experiencing hot-spots and erratic covered temperatures long before the grill totally gave out. (She does use a grill a LOT more than most people, however, especially when working on a cookbook.)

Finally we bought a Vermont Castings (as I recall the 322 stainless series) for a lot of money and haven't had any problems since. She does have to clean the jets now and then but not often, since we mostly cook wild game without much fat. It still works perfectly after 7-8 years, with no hot or cold spots. We haven't had to go grill-shopping again, can cook about anything up to big roasts or a dozen steaks, and the heat is much more controllable than in smaller units, even if we only turn on two burners for smaller tasks. It was worth it for us, but might not be for everybody.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Back to Brinkman. This time a three burner. Last one did good for 15 years, but two burner with with side burner. Think I used it (side burner) 5-6 times and that was to do shrimp in butter/garlic to keep people happy while I was grilling steak.
Little bro just picked up a mini Traeger at Costco and is doing baby back ribs for the whole fam tomorrow. Swears he is going to haul it in our kitchen trailer for the advance party to set up camp this year.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Many amateurs fool themselves into thinking that they are "grilling" and that the pathetic results of their efforts, while admittedly edible, are in some way worthy of the title "grilled". Saddest of these are those who believe that they have accomplished something special because they employ charcoal instead of gas. While their sincerity is not to be doubted, unless they have used charcoal made from the trees knocked down in the Tunguska Event, they have merely transformed raw meat into a less rare state. Then there is the matter of polluting the charcoal with accelerants, thereby negating the magical qualities that it potentially possesses. There are those who claim to be above this faux pas, utilizing all sorts of tinder and kindling to avoid such contamination. Careful inspection would no doubt reveal that they ignited their combustibles with a match, thereby introducing the sulfurous residue into the mix. Even worse are those who used a butane lighter - they may as well have used a gas grill. For those unfamiliar with the proper procedure, the charcoal should be lit with a burning [bleep] from a tree struck by lightning. Once a proper fire is started in this manner, it should never be allowed to extinguish; being properly banked and kept going with the addition of new bits of charcoal as needed.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Charbroil Infrared is pretty bad ass.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Weber. Costs a bit more initially, but it was worth the investment. I guess it depends on how much you grill to justify the cost. We use it all year round. It takes a little longer in the winter, but I don't care.

Didn't get the side burner. Didn't use the side burner on the old grill.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Many amateurs fool themselves into thinking that they are "grilling" and that the pathetic results of their efforts, while admittedly edible, are in some way worthy of the title "grilled". Saddest of these are those who believe that they have accomplished something special because they employ charcoal instead of gas. While their sincerity is not to be doubted, unless they have used charcoal made from the trees knocked down in the Tunguska Event, they have merely transformed raw meat into a less rare state. Then there is the matter of polluting the charcoal with accelerants, thereby negating the magical qualities that it potentially possesses. There are those who claim to be above this faux pas, utilizing all sorts of tinder and kindling to avoid such contamination. Careful inspection would no doubt reveal that they ignited their combustibles with a match, thereby introducing the sulfurous residue into the mix. Even worse are those who used a butane lighter - they may as well have used a gas grill. For those unfamiliar with the proper procedure, the charcoal should be lit with a burning [bleep] from a tree struck by lightning. Once a proper fire is started in this manner, it should never be allowed to extinguish; being properly banked and kept going with the addition of new bits of charcoal as needed.

That is exactly the way I do it.

[Linked Image]

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sold my Weber Platinum after I bought a Big Green Egg. I'll never own another gasser.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
My opinion is that there's a step function when it comes to gas grill pricing: until you spend about $500, you're realistically going to be buying a disposable unit. You could think of gas grills kind of like rifle scopes: You have really cheap throwaway units, then you spend a little money and get something serviceable. A little more money will buy lots more scope (or grill), but then you spend a whole lot of money to get smaller improvements.

Sunbeam = BSA / NC Star
Char Grill = Tasco
Weber = Leupold/Conquest
Viking (and others) = Swaro, S&B, Diavari

I had a Sunbeam that had awful hot spots mingled with areas that were barely lukewarm. The igniters that I kept installing were good for 3 to 5 starts each. The grilling grates would rust through annually, and it went through burner elements about like Rosie O'donnell goes through Twinkies. 'Twas a complete, total, unmitigated, abject POS! Sorry to sugarcoat it: If you're interested in how I really feel, send me a PM... blush

I then acquired a Weber Gas Grill, & it's been spectacular for 8+ years now. Quick starts with the original igniter, a nifty system to catch grease drippings, flare-ups are well controlled by the "flavorizer bars", and the grates last much, much longer, despite seeing far more use than the Sunbeam ever did. The exterior is still in excellent shape, too. The design, materials, and build quality are orders of magnitude better than the $199 grills.

Just like scopes, you'll spend a lot more money to get smaller incremental gains in a grill once you get beyond the Weber level. And you'd really have to wonder if having a stainless steel exterior really helps the food taste any better...

Hope that helps,

FC

Great post, and totally agree. You get what you pay for. Quality products come with a price, but most times, IME, are cheaper in the long run.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 16bore
Charbroil Infrared is pretty bad ass.

Actually I picked one of these up too this year. No side burner and works great for the days I am too busy to bother with a real fire...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
I sold my Weber Platinum after I bought a Big Green Egg. I'll never own another gasser.

Mike

I like my BGE too Mike but a gasser for me is convenient at times. I need to replace the POS I currently have

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For years, when the kids were growing up, we had a gasser. Always had extra kids over and it done the job, but it eventually fell apart. Now that it is just the wife and I, we got a small charcoal unit.
Works just fine for us.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
200.00 not bad these days for a 5 year investment. I do all my meat cooking on the Gas Grill nothing on the Range except for heating Veg's

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I put mine together from the basic Char-Griller Dual 2050 I bought from Lowes for $299. The optional side box smoker cost another $79.

Took about 2-1/2 hours to put it together, then I used 4 - 2" U-Bolts to attach the 8' long 2" x 2" square box tubbing with 1/8" wall thickness, and also tack-welded them in place when done.

I then welded a cross strap of 1/4" x 1-1/4" flat stock to support the legs of the side box.

Handles were made from a 4' long piece of 2" x 2" Oak also bought from Lowe's. Sanding down the 4 corners on the half of each that make the handles makes them easier on the hands. Also used 1/4" x 2" flat Oak on two sides of the handles that fit inside of the steel to make them fit snug.

Photo 1

Side burner comes in real handy to light the coal in a coal chiminey without using lighter fluid... and you can use the gas side BBQ'ing while smoking on the other side...

I got a stainless grate to lay across the burners and added lave rock to the gas side.

Phil

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I have a cheapo Sears grill. I replace the burner twice a year (we use it A LOT, and year-'round).

I'd like a bigger cooking surface, but with a $25 burner and some new lava rocks, I have a new grill.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Greyghost
I put mine together from the basic Char-Griller Dual 2050 I bought from Lowes for $299. The optional side box smoker cost another $79.

Took about 2-1/2 hours to put it together, then I used 4 - 2" U-Bolts to attach the 8' long 2" x 2" square box tubbing with 1/8" wall thickness, and also tack-welded them in place when done.

I then welded a cross strap of 1/4" x 1-1/4" flat stock to support the legs of the side box.

Handles were made from a 4' long piece of 2" x 2" Oak also bought from Lowe's. Sanding down the 4 corners on the half of each that make the handles makes them easier on the hands. Also used 1/4" x 2" flat Oak on two sides of the handles that fit inside of the steel to make them fit snug.

Photo 1

Side burner comes in real handy to light the coal in a coal chiminey without using lighter fluid... and you can use the gas side BBQ'ing while smoking on the other side...

I got a stainless grate to lay across the burners and added lave rock to the gas side.

Phil

That thing is friggen hardcore. Nice!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grill on gas is an abomination! I use charcoal or wood ONLY.

We use the cheap grills. Fire is hard on sheet metal. If you find a grill that will last a long time, it will be very heavy and will cost a lot of money. I'd rather spend money on good steaks.

Wifey got us a new one for my birthday. Its a Char-Broil and cost $100. Nicest looking grill I ever had. Haven't assembled it yet though. Can buy an accessory side mount fire box if I want. It would be nice for "low and slow" BBQ cooking.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,216
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.