Campfire Ranger
Think Griz....or King Quad.

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Think Griz....or King Quad.

I looked at the King Quad some, but it looks like to get power steering and auto, you need to step up to the 500cc, which is considerably more expensive (~$1,000) than either the Grizzly or Rancher. It also has EFI, and seems to be regarded as a capable, reliable machine.

I mentioned to my wife that I had narrowed my choices down to two ATVs. She said great, how much, $3,000? I said no, more like $8,000 incl. tax, etc., OTD. After that conversation, I don't think I can afford the King Quad. laugh

ETA:
Suzuki dealers are fewer and farther between around here....

Last edited by CoalCracker; 05/20/12.
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Honda makes good stuff. Their small engines are hard to beat.

For off the shelf & across the board- unbeatable.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Westcoaster

Evening Klik,

The first time was the fuel system, the second time was the electrical. The fuel system was on an older carburetor model. The float bowl sank and that was that. Luckily we were not to far out and still on good ground.

The second was a newer 700? Anyway nice bike until it quit. The part of the system that keeps the battery charged quit working and the machine ran out of spark a long way from camp.

I know folks that really like the Yamaha and have had good experience with them, just with my experience I won't buy one.

Thanks. Had similar carb troubles with both Suzuki and Honda ATVs. Carbs are typically built by Keihin, Mikuni, or other none-ATV manufacturer so I would be hesitant to blame the ATV. OTOH, I do think the companys are remiss in not having anything better than a fuel strainer when a filter would be better. I add one to avoid problems.

I still think that Honda would be able to sell a bunch of those old 300s. RELIABLE was the motor, and you could kick start them.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 05/20/12.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
[I mentioned to my wife that I had narrowed my choices down to two ATVs. She said great, how much, $3,000? I said no, more like $8,000 incl. tax, etc., OTD. After that conversation, I don't think I can afford the King Quad. laugh

Worth a look online - I ended up buying from a dealer up north and having it (2010 Yamaha Grizzly 700) shipped to me for a good bit less than $8000. For the savings over the local dealer (who flat refused to budge off of MSRP), I decided to hell with the local dealer connection, etc.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
If your into mud riding, you might want to consider the Grizzly with the diff lock, otherwise i'd go with the Rancher AT with IRS, EPS, and Traxlox. The wife has one, it was a good trail machine until I did a gear change on it, now she can play in the mud whenever she wants too. The problem I found with the Rancher is that it is geared for trail riding and is geared way too high for slow, mud crawling or water crossings. With the gear change it turned it into an entirely different beast.

My next wheeler is probably going to be a 700 Grizzly since Honda doesn't want to build a Foreman with IRS.

The Rincon would be Honda's equivalent to a 700 Grizzly. The Rincon has IRS and a superior transmission IMO. The only downside with the Rincon is in hilly, mountainous terrain. That and that it lacks power steering.

I know all about the Rincon, my best friend has one and honestly, as much as I love my Hondas, I do not like that Rincon. It is geared for trail use and has no low end grunt when your going through a lot of mud and I believe it only has 3 gears too but I could be wrong on that. The only Honda made for hard work and hard riding is the Foreman, it's geared low enough to go through just about everything BUT, no IRS.

As too the question about the ES on the Rancher, going into reverse can be a pia but that can be cured by a simple adjusment to your brake cable. I adjusted the wifes and it goes in reverse quite easily now. You can also adjust it so you don't have to push down on the red button but it's not that big a deal pushing the button.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Yeah, it's a 3 speed which is why I guess they set them up sacrificing the low end. Just mentioned it because it's really the only Honda apples to apples comparison to the 700 Griz.

I had a Rincon for several years and liked it, other than the fact that the gear ratios and torque converter caused it to not engine brake very well going down steep inclines. On the other hand, that 3 speed auto is probably the most bullet proof auto tranny of all the ATV's or side by sides.

Funny thing is, they use the same engine and transmission on my Big Red but they set the gears up for better lower end. By doing so, it's obviously no where as fast, but it's stronger on the low end.

The plus on the Rincon though, is that is one smooth riding ATV with the IRS.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's weird that they would build a low end version of the Rincon motor for the Hippo, errrrrr, I mean Big Red. Put that in the Rincon and it would be a game changer, at least for me anyways.

My next machine will have IRS and EPS. That EPS is something else, i've hit rocks with the front wheels with it while trail riding and you can't even feel them, you can steer easily with one hand too.

Can't say that about my Foreman. You hit a rock with a front wheel with that thing and you'll know it.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who in the [bleep] makes a fancy Yellow side by side. Yellow wheels, hood, etc.?

Can Cam Commander, helluva machine. What did they do to piss you off?

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I came across a good deal on the Internet for a Grizzly 450 that is about $1,100 less than my local dealer for the same unit, out-the-door (incl. tax, tags, delivery & set-up). I called my local dealer to see if he was flexible on his price. He ended up telling me what he pays for the machine, and it was more than the other place is selling it for. He claims he doesn't know how they can sell them at the price, and he warned me to make sure that there were no hidden surprises. The local dealer said that if I could get the ATV at that price, that I should buy it elsewhere and he would be more than happy to service it for me locally.

I called the western PA dealer, and it does not seem to be a gimmick. They are $1,100 less expensive than the local guy. I think I might be taking a four-hour (one-way) roadtrip for the Grizz soon. For a few hundred dollars, I would buy local, but for $1,100, I think I'll waste a day of my time an $80 worth of gas.

It looks like I'll be taking TXRam's advice.

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have to ask what may be a stupid question to you all. Do/will you be going off in this thing by yourself, If so, how you going to man handle the beast if you get into some bad chit unless you are 230lbs and built like a rock? Me not so much, old and skinny. I can still move/push a 300cc, but that is the extent.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by idnative1948
I have to ask what may be a stupid question to you all. Do/will you be going off in this thing by yourself, If so, how you going to man handle the beast if you get into some bad chit unless you are 230lbs and built like a rock? Me not so much, old and skinny. I can still move/push a 300cc, but that is the extent.

I don't have any big plans to get too far off the beaten path. Maybe take a few joy rides, plow some snow, ride to a local pond to do some fishing, etc. Most of this will be within cell phone reach. Also, I'm one of the very few people in my area that doesn't already have an ATV, and so riding partners shouldn't be too hard to find.

I'm prohibited from using an ATV to hunt much of the public land in PA (e.g. State Game Lands, State Parks, etc.).

If worse comes to worst, I'll hop off, walk home, hop in the Toyota 4Runner, and go pull it out.... smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not exactly sure what you mean by man handle but if you are referring to getting stuck you have some options. 1. Get a winch. 2. Small come along stored in a rack bag.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Not exactly sure what you mean by man handle but if you are referring to getting stuck you have some options. 1. Get a winch. 2. Small come along stored in a rack bag.

Would a small come along get me through this? grin

[Linked Image]

Here is another pic to help with scale....

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
I came across a good deal on the Internet for a Grizzly 450 that is about $1,100 less than my local dealer for the same unit, out-the-door (incl. tax, tags, delivery & set-up). I called my local dealer to see if he was flexible on his price. He ended up telling me what he pays for the machine, and it was more than the other place is selling it for. He claims he doesn't know how they can sell them at the price, and he warned me to make sure that there were no hidden surprises. The local dealer said that if I could get the ATV at that price, that I should buy it elsewhere and he would be more than happy to service it for me locally.

I called the western PA dealer, and it does not seem to be a gimmick. They are $1,100 less expensive than the local guy. I think I might be taking a four-hour (one-way) roadtrip for the Grizz soon. For a few hundred dollars, I would buy local, but for $1,100, I think I'll waste a day of my time an $80 worth of gas.

It looks like I'll be taking TXRam's advice.

My local dealer is a horse's a$$ - I've owned 3 Yamaha's, 2 purchased new and neither from them. I looked up the dealer I bought the Griz 700 from - Fix Powersports was the name of the place, and got it cheaper than I could get a 500 anywhere else. It was the end of the model year, and he said Yamaha was sending 'em to him by the truckload and they were moving 'em out fast! I was pleased with the communication, etc., not a single problem.

If the local dealer would have been willing to work with me some, I'd give 'em my business.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Might want/need one of these for the less traveled trails......

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Who in the [bleep] makes a fancy Yellow side by side. Yellow wheels, hood, etc.?

Can Cam Commander, helluva machine. What did they do to piss you off?

Drove all over hell on a creek bottom. I hate idiots on ATV's.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
when i bought my grizz, i think i hit most every dealer in the state of arizona.
There was a dealership in ohio advertising on ebay. I ended up buying from them, and had it dropp shipped to phx. It saved me quite a bit of money. Out the door it was about 7200 for the 700cc unit.
Pretty good deal at the time.
as i think i mentioned in my previous post, i hardly ever use the brakes because the engine brake works so well, most of the time i just leave it in high range. Having said that my son in law has another brand. He has said he wanted a grizz after watching me pick my way through some scary stuff after going into low and 4x4 and engaging the lockers. The 700 has about a 1200pound pulling cabability too. I would hate to see what it would take to get it stuck, it has a lot more cabability than i do. I thought about getting a winch on it, but just never have really seen the need.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good to hear. I think I'm going to stick with the 450. It will be my first quad, and my scrawny 13 year-old son will want to ride it, too. Maybe even my wife and daughter will give it a try.

Perhaps one of them will really take to the 450, and then I can upgrade to the 700....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I don't think you'll be disappointed. Ours has served us well in the short time we've had it. Love the EPS; don't even feel rocks and bumps in the steering.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

321 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 41 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,035
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.