Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DMc
My first 22 was a Rem 121 Fieldmaster. I recommend a tube fed over a clip. Be hard to lose a tube�, The BL-22 sounds like a winner!

I learned to shoot w/ a Fieldmaster. The lever gun would be a beautiful first rifle. Mine is the Marlin '39.
[Linked Image]

Another point of view is that the tubular magazine is more vulnerable to damage in inexperienced hands. And it is less EZ to be certain it is completely unloaded.

Spare magazines are usually affordable but that's a good point against having a removable mag. Then a single-shot would be simplest and EZ maintenance.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of our local gun shops had a mossberg youth 22. Neat little gun, clip fed, came with a single shot clip and a 4or 5 rounder for later. Also had a peep mounted, right around $150.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

"Turdlike".... in record time

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I bought both of my kids the Cub, theirs came with a peep sight.

They shoot them well.

444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just read a few negative reviews on that TC HotShot. Have you had any issues with light primer strikes in yours bruinruin?

Trying to find a stepping stone rifle if you will before I move him up to something like the BL22 or the CZ 452 scout mentioned.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I started my kids on a CZ 452 Scout when they turned 5. My son is now 16 and his 22lr rifle is a full sized CZ 452.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
One reason to get a 452 Scout is that the 452's are being replaced with 455's.The Scout will likely be the last to go but I would still get one while I could.A Yo-Dave trigger kit will easily make for a great trigger as well.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My #1 granddaughter is a tall 7 year old. She is learning on the Red Ryder from last Christmas.

I just gave her great grandfather's Remington 510 (single shot) a shakedown this past weekend. It is still plenty accurate. It now gets a new blue and perhaps sights. I can handle the wood work myself.

I also took out a 10-22 that had remained NIB for several years, IMO, the magazine and the bolt hold open release are far too "tricky" for kids.

I like the magazine tube repeaters, perhaps because my first repeater was so equipped? Best

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
I cannot iterate this enough:

Get the Savage Cub. Only it is no longer called the Cub, it is called the Rascal.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/

Then buy Aguila Colibri's.

Travis

i agree with the Savage Cub/Rascal...

[Linked Image]

but i mostly prefer CCI ammo of one sort or another...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Oh, I didn't mean to use the Colibris forever. Just to get them started. They are every bit as quiet as pellet rifle, but you are starting them out with good sights, and a great trigger. After a box of Colibris, they got everything down.

I also like them because I can set up some cans around camp and they can get some practice without any noise.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Just read a few negative reviews on that TC HotShot. Have you had any issues with light primer strikes in yours bruinruin?

Trying to find a stepping stone rifle if you will before I move him up to something like the BL22 or the CZ 452 scout mentioned.

Waste of time IMO. Get them racking a bolt early on. Makes your life easier when they move up to a centerfire.

Travis

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My 8 year old daughter and my 5 year old son both do pretty well with the TC HotShot. It is small, light, and simple. Haven't had any problems with it. My 10 year old daughter started with a Rossi single shot (which isn't bad for the $) and she didn't have any problems moving into the Ruger Compact 223. A single shot rifle and reactive targets are the way to go in the beginning.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My #1 granddaughter is a tall 7 year old. She is learning on the Red Ryder from last Christmas.

I just gave her great grandfather's Remington 510 (single shot) a shakedown this past weekend. It is still plenty accurate. It now gets a new blue and perhaps sights. I can handle the wood work myself.

I also took out a 10-22 that had remained NIB for several years, IMO, the magazine and the bolt hold open release are far too "tricky" for kids.

I like the magazine tube repeaters, perhaps because my first repeater was so equipped? Best

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For a beginner I like a manual cock single shot rifle and consider it a shame that they are mostly forgotten by the gun manufacturers. The little chipmunk is pretty nice but quickly out grown of todays rifles that are fairly avaliable I would look for one of the recent manufactured stevens favorites barring that a lever gun like you mentioned would be a good choice. Look around as I recenly purchased an old JC Higgins single shot (made by marlin) like we had when I was a kid for $90. It was in almost new condition and I am tickled to death with it a boat load of memories for $90 and they still shoot today as well as they did 50 years ago.

Last edited by bangeye; 05/22/12.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bangeye
For a beginner I like a manual cock single shot rifle

never met a kid i disliked quite that much....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by bangeye
For a beginner I like a manual cock single shot rifle

never met a kid i disliked quite that much....

Me either.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I started my son with a Stevens 72 single shot. That way I knew that after the shot the gun was safe. After he showed me that he was safe handling a gun, I bought him a Ruger 10-22.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
My first rifle was a Stevens bolt action single shot .22, very accurate.
My dad later said he liked it because he could tell at a glance at the pull back at back of action if it was cocked or not.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by 444Matt

Waste of time IMO. Get them racking a bolt early on. Makes your life easier when they move up to a centerfire.

Travis

I don't have the Hotshot, was only thinking of getting a couple. I have since changed my mind and will likely go with the little Rascal. wink

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Savage Cub. Good starter and comes with a peep sight.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An auto-loader seems the least safe and encourages much wasting of ammo.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (270cowboy, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1234, 1_deuce, 60 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,523
Posts18,491,060
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.