-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great story, Art! And, GREAT bear! Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Hard to believe that was 9 years ago!

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, it was that long ago! Had not realized it had been that long either...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Brother Dave
That would be a trick..grin.

Nice bear and cool story guys. Hope the taxidermist treats you well...

It is at Knight's and I seriously hope they do a decent job... Jeff is still on the bubble for a rug versus life-size.

Really? You're more a gambler than me.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Knight's has done some good work, but they have done some pretty schitty stuff, too... But the bear is not mine, so I just sit back and let Jeff do the worrying...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What a hunt...thanks for sharing the pics and story. Those big bears are a tremendous trophy. I remember the first time I saw a full size mount, I was just a kid but never cease to admire how big they really are.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Art, great hunt.

Not sure there is a good time to advertise an A-Bort! wink

How did it fail?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trigger group rusted to "frozen" condition with the wire link looking like the problem again. The weather was bad and the saltwater was right there...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Say it isn't so. crazy grin

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome story Art and congrats to the lucky hunter as well.That was one hell of a last day.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dean
It was a bit of an attention grabber! wink
art

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Super story. Great pics too. Brings back some good memories.

For the record, Rick Bin did not kill any bear. I simply stood there with Scott (hiya pal) while Art pole-axed it with one 270-grainer through the front shoulder and into the vitals, which made it hit the ground hard and right-now, and tremble away the last of its life. Art graciously convinced me the sonofabitch-was-coming, even though it wasn't ( smile ), and since I was the designated backup, I deferred to experience and let one fly into the trembling furball just on principle, which caused it to tumble spectacularly ass-over-teakettle down the hill for what I remember to be at least a hundred yards.

And I'd do it again, too. smile

What a trip! Both of them.

Big congrats! Big Kudos to all!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Having just returned - and recovered - from spring hunts of my own just across the Shelikof, I tip my hat to Art for sharing photos and telling a great story. smile

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great article and pics! That picture Dog Ear Mountain is beautiful.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool story and that's a cool area.

I spent a few days with the Pingree's after I shot my bear in the Sturgeon unit.

Fantastic people who live in one of the wildest, untouched places I've ever been.

Pretty remarkable and I enjoyed spending some time at the lodge and with their family.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes
Cool story and that's a cool area.

I spent a few days with the Pingree's after I shot my bear in the Sturgeon unit.

Fantastic people who live in one of the wildest, untouched places I've ever been.

Pretty remarkable and I enjoyed spending some time at the lodge and with their family.

Have to say the Pingrees are classy folks... Between dropping off crabs and watching out for us they proved their generosity... the rest is just pure, down to Earth, good.

I am assembling a small package for them that required a little wait for things to arrive... I suspect they will be surprised as they undoubtedly think they "did nothing."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RickBin

For the record, Rick Bin did not kill any bear. I simply stood there with Scott (hiya pal) while Art pole-axed it with one 270-grainer through the front shoulder and into the vitals, which made it hit the ground hard and right-now, and tremble away the last of its life. Art graciously convinced me the sonofabitch-was-coming, even though it wasn't ( smile ), and since I was the designated backup, I deferred to experience and let one fly into the trembling furball just on principle, which caused it to tumble spectacularly ass-over-teakettle down the hill for what I remember to be at least a hundred yards.

Aside from simply standing there you also carried the hide, wrapped around your shoulders past another brown bear, jaws-aclacking, with an unknown relationship to the recently deceased bear... And telling the live bear to "bring it on!" I still laugh about that every time I think about it!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458Win
Having just returned - and recovered - from spring hunts of my own just across the Shelikof, I tip my hat to Art for sharing photos and telling a great story. smile

Yeah, we were close enough a good bear could swim either way...

I am sure you can relate to our relief in realizing the bear was spined and reduced to two-wheel drive...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Incredible trip! And, thank you Rick and Art for the memories. That was a tough year, but all's well that ends well. You are two very good friends and again, what an incredible adventure!

Oh, and "COUGAR, COUGAR on the beach!" smile

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by RickBin

Aside from simply standing there you also carried the hide, wrapped around your shoulders past another brown bear, jaws-aclacking, with an unknown relationship to the recently deceased bear... And telling the live bear to "bring it on!" I still laugh about that every time I think about it!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dude! Thanks for the opportunity to once again post this!!!!

[Linked Image]

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Jeeze- and Art sort of castigated me for bringing up the subject (Hillside blacktail) only a year after the fact...

Rick ain't never gonna live that one down.

Not if we can help it anyway.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (badwolf, BDR1, batch, BB3, 11 invisible), 1,454 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,056
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.