Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Was the model 24 every sold with a scope? I looked at a 24 P tonight that was marked on the left side of the top barrel, Do not fire the shotgun barrel with the scope attached. There was no rear sight in the dovetail and some sort of mount just in front of the chamber. Cal was 22 over 20 ga

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of them were grooved for dovetail scope mounts like those found on .22 rifles.

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Simply a matter of semantics. It should've read "Do not fire with a scope attached".

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/22/12.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Series P? By the time that series came along they were all grooved on the top of the rifle barrel for a scope base or peep sight. The centerfire models (24V) were drilled and tapped. Likely what you observed was a scope base mount that was clamped to the groove.

There seems to be 2 interpretations of the warning: One was that if you weren't real careful with head placement when firing the shotgun the recoil would/could cause the scope to bop you in the eye. The other belief is that the recoil would/could cause the scope and bases to jump off that flimsy base attaching design. I guess both are true.

Dandy of a little combo gun, which has lots of attraction. If interested in your "find" and the price is right - buy it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The rimfire Savage 24s were never cataloged with a factory installed scope. The "don't fire" warning is there because of the danger of injury associated with the short eye relief on the typical low(er) grade, low(er) cost, 1/2" and 7/8" .22 scopes that many RF rifle owners use. Every Savage 24 variation, both RF and CF, have been cataloged with factory installed open sights, so if they are missing on your unit, they were removed by a previous owner.

If you're going to scope a RF Savage 24, I highly recommend using the B-Square 3/8" dovetail to Weaver adapters, the Weaver style rings of your choice, and a 1" scope. I have a couple of Savage 24s in 22/410, 22/20, 22MRF/20 mounted with old Simmons 1040 2-7x32s and newer Weaver Rv7 2-7x28s using the B-Square adapters and Warne QD rings.

Jeff

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've had a standard "clamp-on" mount with 1" rings and a Redfield 2 3/4X scope on my 24D .22WRM/.410 or many years. Works great, and at least with the .410 barrel, using shot, buckshot, or slug (including the "AWESOME" 3" magnums!), it has never shown any signs of the scope moving around.

Now a 3" Magnum 20 guage might be a horse of a VERY different hue--that kicks like a light 12 guage and some of the versions of the 24 are very light weight, which adds to the felt recoil.

Do any of the .410-barreled versions have this scope warning? That would seem like a "lawyer-inspired CYA" message. On a Mag 20, it might well have some merit.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
None of the Savage 24s with 410 barrels that I have, have the scope warning, just the rimfires with 20 gauge barrels.

Until I "discovered" the B-Square adapters, I used the "clamp-on" rings from Redfied and Weaver, but since I "discovered" them, I've swapped all my grooved receiver RFs to them.

Jeff

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That makes sense, Jeff. I'll have a look at the B-Square.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That makes sense, Jeff. I'll have a look at the B-Square.

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Since the topic is 24's. I've found a 24V, Series B, #B7707xx at a local pawn shop. Its a 30-30 over a 20g and has a Bushnell Trophy 1.5x5 scope, weaver one piece mount and weaver steel rings. Its priced at $295. Is that reasonable for this model. I believe it is full choke. Never had a 24 and would like to have one that could be used for both deer and turkey.

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
meant to add, bores are good and wood and metal are in 85%-90% shape...

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thank you all for the info.I knew this forum was the place to get the answer. It was a friends rifle but I will probably buy it and put it in the safe next to my 1949 EG .300

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Wapiti, $295 sounds like a heck'uva deal, especially with scope and mounts. Buy it, try it and flip it if you don't like it. In that kind of shape, I think you'll be pleased.

Fox, If you get a good buy on that 24 combo, my bet is it won't spend too much time in the safe. They are a fun shooter and your problems are about to increase as they are a lot like the 99's - betcha can't own just one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I agree with Dons1. As described, condition and scope, $295 sounds like a really good price and if I was in the market, I would be tempted. Remember that 24Vs aren't target rifles and there isn't any way to regulate the rifle barrel, so if you set your accuracy expectations accordingly, you will probably be satisfied. IOW, MOA accuracy from a 24V would be the rare exception, rather than the rule.

Good luck!

Jeff

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Well, I guess I'm definitely in the minority when I say I have never cared for Savage's combo guns. IMO they make for poor handling single shot shotguns, and while I'm a big proponent of SS rifles, who wants to lug a shotgun along too when hunting/shooting with the rifle? Rifle sights, and worse yet scopes on top of it, make the shotgun worthless as a wing shooting/moving game tool (unless you're turkey hunting or shooting at some other creature sitting still). I will admit they have their place as a tool to ride around behind one's truck seat, in the back of a bush plane, or stashed in a locker on a boat for use in emergencies.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that as a primary, 1st tier, hunting rifle or shotgun, they are a poor choice. But they are "utility" guns, jack of all trades, master of none sort of firearm. As a utility gun to keep in the barn, truck, plane, boat or as survival gun for most of North America they are hard to beat.

Marshall Stanton wrote an excellent piece on the Savage 24, probably the best that I've ever read, in the "tech notes" page on his www.beartoothbullets.com site.

Jeff

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Well I bought it and now it's mine regardless. It'll just be a utility firearm, but looks like it may be fun to take hog hunting or possibility spring turkey next year. I really like the feel of it and it has see-thru mounts with the Bushnell. Will need to bore sight and shoot some. Too hot to get out and play at 99 degrees today, but I'll try it on some feral hogs shortly. Thanks much for the feedback...

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,700
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.