Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Good post JM.

By nearly all accounts the Traverse, Acadia, and Enclave are excellent vehicles in their class.

true enough.

let the markets run, with minimum gov't interferecne.

quality, price/cost, reliablility and re-sale value, if any, are all important attributes. since nearly all chrome plated bumpers come from mines in Africa, we know that it's all a global business, whether we accept it or not.

consumers, manufacturers, workers, profits, and market share. what a connumdrum. what do the repair mechanics have to say about various vehicles? are they being left out?? grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if toyota,honda and others were still imports we would have a stronger economy here at home. i will never buy from any of them.it pisses me off every morning when i watch the morning news and the junk foreign car ads.we are now owned by the japs and china thanks to our stupid ass government and dumb ass hell americans that just don't care anymore.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i don't want to pay a penny more for the cost of transportation from A to Z than is necessary and is required,.

if company A can beat company B in this effort, i'll elect or choose to go with company A every time. but, if company B ascends to the highest position, that is least cost, i'll go with that choice.

remember, shiny bumpers from Africa doesn't create much value, except for the Africans who are digging out the Chromium to be installed on shiny car and truck bumpers.

building cars and trucks is a global construct. Cadillacs in China? who would have thought??

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Originally Posted by walt501
So tell me where do the profits go? Far to many here are willing to send their dollar abroad.

That arguement died with the invention of the stock market. Profits go to the shareholders...

The argument is still valid. Try reading up on the US trade deficit and you may be surprised at what you may learn.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The best of both worlds is a foreign car built by American workers...it is US management practices and unions that give crap quality...

of the foreign cars built in the USA by NON UAW workers, those cars that are shipped back to the home market, always bring a premium price, due to the level of quality control and workmanship...

American Workers rank the best in the world...but that is deluded with Unions, corporate greed and accountants...

that includes American built BMWs, Mercedes, Hondas' Mazdas, Toyotas, Hyundais, Kias...

in fact the Korean Makes were planning on the US factories to hit a certain point within 5 years.. they hit it in less than 2 years.. and exceeded the factories in Korea for Q/C and time to build the vehicle...American Engineers were sent to Korea, to upgrade the factories there...

the highest quality out of all BMW and Mercedes Factories come from American factories in South Carolina and Alabama...

the Q/C level is evidently quite high for VWs being built in Chattanooga TN, a fairly new facility...

Quality is alive with American workers... but undermined by Unions where they are in the door... the UAW... ( and for the record, once you are a UAW member, it is a lifetime membership... and I am therefore a UAW Union Member...)

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I don't consider myself or anyone else a 'dumb American' for doing comparison shopping and finding out the competition is making a better product that will serve better and last longer. Exactly the opposite.
If it looks like crap and lasts like crap, people will realize it, and you'll have a hard time selling it. It simply caught up to the hometown boys.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by cfran
I say screw the US auto unions, that's why some of the foreign companies that have non union plants in the South are more compelling to me.

damn straight!

If they can train a monkey to do your job, you don't deserve a bass boat and utv for doing it.

Last edited by barnold1; 05/24/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Ford Fusions and Focus are great cars. My Bro put 180K on his first focus before he gave it to his daughter. Another pard has a fusion that is top notch in my book.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just look at what cars hold the best resale value, and you'll know who makes the better quality new cars.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stush
I was the same way. Always owned GM. Got a great deal on a Toyota Tundra the last time around. It will take a lot for a US auto company to lure me back.

My Tundra has 160K on it and I have put two sets of tires, one set of front brake pads, and regular oil changes, etc.

Any other truck I ever owned would have had some significant maintenance costs by this point - even if I had done my part with PM.

Yep. I have my fireproof pants on. I can already feel the wrath of those that will tell me I should be supporting Detroit forthcoming. Have at it. When I spend my money, I buy the best product available that I can afford. For me and my needs, that isn't available from Detroit.

I am usually the unlucky one and get all the junk, but I have to say that over 36 years of driving GM products in the 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton sized vehicles, I would have to endorse them quite highly. We have a fairly decent sized fleet and the idiots we hire don't care about how they treat the equipment. Day in and day out, the abuse is incredible. They do break down but not beyond expectations.

The trucks and van that I have driven over the years were all new vehicles that I had and have accounted for over 1,250,000 miles on these vehicles. Anyone badmouthing American made trucks doesn't get much sympathy from me as I have seen over 10 times those miles over the years put on various other vehicles and there have been disappointments, but over the past 36 years and millions of miles, a Toyota Tundra driven like these wouldn't have fared any better.

My last truck I bought for myself was a Dodge 3/4 ton, by the way...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Resale value has as much to do with perception as it does with reliability.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Resale value has as much to do with perception as it does with reliability.

Yep, the perception that a used GM vehicle is a POS compared to a Toyota.
Laffin

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/04/best-and-worst-used-cars/index.htm

Best and worst used cars

Models built by Toyota and Honda dominate the list once again, and many of the best used vehicles are from Asian manufacturers. But high-quality vehicles are available from domestic and European automakers as well.

The Worst of the worst list shows models that have had multiple years of below-average reliability in our survey. It is dominated by vehicles from domestic and European manufacturers, primarily General Motors, which had 8 of the 24 models listed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have never seen where foriegn cars are any better then american cars. most that beleive that crap are just looking for an excuse for not buying american. you people rant and rave about our southern boarder then buy foriegn cars,same differents to me . none of it belongs here,mexicans should only vacation here and then go home,cars should be imports.

lists that say american cars are junk are controled by the foriegners. you hear only what they want you to hear.

just last night charlotte qualifying was on the tube and there was 2-3 toyotas with red,white and blue paint plastered all over them for memorial day race. the japs celebrating memorial day,lol. what a disgrace to our country.wake the hell up!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JoeMama
---Disclosure----
I have a vested interest.
I work in a factory that makes Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia and Buick Enclaves.
---end disclosure---

For me, it comes down to this. The transplants are paying for American sweat and the ability to advertise "American Made'. Brawn work is fine but in a competitive situation a liter of sweat is a commodity and you are competing with China and India and Korea and Indonesia. The path to a decent paycheck is not found competing on the basis of brawn against Asians.

The likelihood of your child getting a Brain work job from the transplants is pretty remote. The chances of their getting a Brain work job with one of the Big Three is much, much higher. Do you want to make that choice for your kids and grandkids....that they never have a decent shot at a job where they can use their brains to their full advantage?

Another issue is retirement. Both hourly and management have a target on their chest aftere they hit 45. A 48 year old who drops a gum wrapper on the floor is fired. No retirement, no more ergonomic/OSHA risk. Nissan has astronomical productivity because they design jobs for 27 year old workers. Go ahead and buy a transplant vehicle if that is how you treat your neighbors...a boot in the azz when they are beat down rather than a bowl of chicken soup.

All I ask as an auto worker is that you shop my products. If you buy a competitor's product then I failed. I am an adult and I can accept that. But at least shop one of my company's offerings in the segment you are shopping. You may get a snicker out of our attempt...or you may fall in love with it and buy the best vehicle you ever owned.

Great post. those are some damn fine vehicles you are making. I would love to buy you a beer at Darb's someday

Last edited by cooperfan; 05/25/12.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
German cars are great handling, finely engineered machines, built with quality componenets. Our last German car was a Mercedes that did almost everything better than our previous American sedan.

But, parts and maintenance costs are astronomical!

Have owned many different brands of cars and trucks in my 45 years of driving. British, German, American, Japanese, etc. In the 60s and 70s there was a clear distiction in quality between the countries. Brits always had electrical problems, Japanese cars self destructed after a couple of years but were cheap to buy and drive, German cars went forever at high cost and American cars had lots of little troubles and some had big troubles but were the cheapest to buy and maintain and employed real Americans.

None of that applies anymore. Quality of ALL vehicles is much higher now. Warranties are better also. But, who actually makes it? Where are the parts from? Who get's the profits? Etc.
Like everything else these days new cars & trucks are a conglomeration of not only parts but nations and companies.

So, buy what you want & like. Currently I drive "American"! Yes my GMC truck was actually assembled in Canada with parts from all over. And our Pontiac G8 GT was assembled in Austraila.

Am I really supporting American jobs and interests with my current choices in vehicles? I wont even bring up my Harleys.
All this makes my little brain hurt...:)

At leaast my Rugers are 100% American.....I think...

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
............ but I just priced used Toys and Hondas, OUCH!

That's part of my problem with foreign. Put the difference of money in an account for maintenance. You will never use it all. My Ford's have never ever proven inferior

And to the guys that think Toyotas help America? The competition is healthy but they are overall not our best interest. There are too many on the road. I find it to be more hype than substance

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by srwshooter
i have never seen where foriegn cars are any better then american cars. most that beleive that crap are just looking for an excuse for not buying american. you people rant and rave about our southern boarder then buy foriegn cars,same differents to me . none of it belongs here,mexicans should only vacation here and then go home,cars should be imports.

lists that say american cars are junk are controled by the foriegners. you hear only what they want you to hear.

just last night charlotte qualifying was on the tube and there was 2-3 toyotas with red,white and blue paint plastered all over them for memorial day race. the japs celebrating memorial day,lol. what a disgrace to our country.wake the hell up!!!

So how do/can you justify my GM product that clearly states assembled in Mexico?? Is that American Made?? Did it create more payroll in the US than a Japanese,German,Korean vehicle that was assembled here?

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gmack

That's part of my problem with foreign. Put the difference of money in an account for maintenance. You will never use it all. My Ford's have never ever proven inferior

That is debatable.
I have had three Toyotas and all of them had less maintenance issues than any of the Ford,GM or Chrysler vehicles that I have owned.
I do not mind paying a little more for something that works.

Last edited by Sauer200; 05/25/12.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JoeMama
---Disclosure----
I have a vested interest.
I work in a factory that makes Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia and Buick Enclaves.
---end disclosure---
All I ask as an auto worker is that you shop my products. If you buy a competitor's product then I failed. I am an adult and I can accept that. But at least shop one of my company's offerings in the segment you are shopping. You may get a snicker out of our attempt...or you may fall in love with it and buy the best vehicle you ever owned.

I believe that management and the board of directors have a much bigger hand in the lack of quality than the workers.You can only work with the tools and materials that are provided to you.

While my vehicle was being repaired I had a rental.A 2011 Impala with 27,000 miles.It was a piece of crap.It did not appear to have been abused nor neglected.It was just crude, clumsy piece of crap.I put a thousand miles on it in two weeks and was absolutely disappointed. If that is all the farther that the US auto makers have advanced then it will be foreign cars for us for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by Sauer200; 05/25/12.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Sauer200
Originally Posted by gmack

That is debatable.
I have had three Toyotas and all of them had less maintenance issues than any of the Ford,GM or Chrysler vehicles that I have owned.
I do not mind paying a little more for something that works.

Yes debatable. I have two Toyotas and two Fords. 2000 and 2005 Toyotas and 1995 and 2007 Fords, all daily driven. One Toyota is a minivan my wife wanted and the other came dirt cheap from a relative. No difference in operating cost.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.