Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rem06 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I have a pair of 10x42 Leupold cascade binoculars that i am done with. I bought them for a mule deer hunt in 2006 and have been relatively happy with in the 5yrs that i owned them

By relatively i mean i sent them back and am on my 3rd pair of them! having been repaired once and replaced the second time.I dont carry them in bubble wrap! i use them! case thrown away!

for $300 bucks, they are nice. Well amongst all the Vortex Hype (or not?) i will be trying a pair of Vortex Viper 10x42 HD that are 2x the price at $599

anybody have a pair? I am looking for input and yes i know Swarovski makes them for 1500 bucks and are better!

but being in the $600.00 budget range are they the best bang for the buck? pro's and cons?

is that extra 25fps worth detonation?
NRA life member
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rem06,

After comparing several at any price point I purchased the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 8X43 for about $250. I prefer them to any of the Leupolds. You might give them a try before you buy something more expensive.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Talk to Doug at Cameraland. He will not steer you wrong!

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Cameralandny has the Minox HG's for a great price($450??) and they are very good.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
rem06,

After comparing several at any price point I purchased the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 8X43 for about $250. I prefer them to any of the Leupolds. You might give them a try before you buy something more expensive.
Like he said he uses them? What makes the Legends more durable then the Leupolds? I think the Viper is built better than either one! I use Swaro's and he already said he isn't spending that kind of money. Used look for GR HD'S, Meopta something like that. More durable in my opinion.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What makes the Legends more durable then the Leupolds?

I have no idea about durability. Never gave that a thought. I wanted the best view I could get without going to the only one that looked better; which was the Swarovski with a price of $2400.

The chance of a Leupold or Bushnell binocular being more durable than the other is slim to none. If it was a scope I am convinced the Bushnell would be more durable.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had the standard Legend bino's quite a few years ago, and for the money I thought they were pretty darn good. Bought a pair after reading a mini review by Barsness.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The binocular market is changing so fast that making any hard statements about what's "best" is a somewhat dubious enterprise.

One of the recent binoculars I've tried is a Kruger 10x50 that noticeably beats a highly regarded 10x42 Euro-glass that retails for $900. The Kruger retails for around $250. Before trying it the cheapest binocular that beat the same European binocular cost around $400.

The cheaper binoculars are also getting tougher by the year as well. Haven't beat the snot out of the Kruger yet, but have used some other $350 roof-prisms hard, and they've held together quite well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Don't know how tough the Viper will be but the warranty and customer service is great.

Tough binos I can recommend with better optics then your cascade.

Leica trinovid BA or BN-used in your budget.

Look for a used or new Meopta Meostar B1 or Cabelas Euro as there is now a HD model and people will be upgrading/ selling theirs.

Brunton Epoch used

Zeiss Classic 10x40 second hand

The discontinued Leupold golden ring or golden ring HD.

Minox Japan HG series if you can find one and to a lesser extent (optically) the Minox BD BR series roof prism models-both discontinued but show up from time to time.

Or go for the gusto (what I would do in your position) save a little more and buy a pair of the late Swarovski SLC NEU 10x42 for around $1000, lightly used-best choice optically. Its worth the $.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Viper is a better binocular than the Cascade, but I bet it won't last any better than the Cascade did. Thing is a binocular, even a fairly inexpensive one, is s precision instrument and specialized tool. If they are going to do their work in a reliable manner over a long period of time they have to be treated something like what they are. There is a reason they come with cases and lens covers (even the $2k models). I haul my binoculars around all over the place and use them a lot. But there is a line between using them and abusing them. Not saying you abuse stuff, but some care needs to be taken with a binocular. It ain't a crescent wrench.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Talk to Doug at Cameraland. He will not steer you wrong!

Cameraland is the place to look...they have super prices on quality products...The Vortex Razors are a tad above your budget...but they are a great bin with super optics...the new Bushnell Legends HD are also another to look at...Minox may have something in your budget...I am at the moment looking for a spare pair of bins..my Razor 10-42s are great..but if my wife is along in the field..she won't give them back...her first time looking through them...she said...wow...these are nice...that they are....

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

R
rem06 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
to be more specific on product.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviperhd10x42

I got away with a $300 pair for awhile and definately feel the need to bump up a bit. I would spend more but i would rather spend the extra USING them this fall on hunts we have planned.

so some feel Minox is better or tougher than these?
$600 is top dollar period, I cant see how a 250 pair of bushnells will even be better than the cascades? I been walking in every store i see looking for a pair of Leupold gold rings but just get funny looks.
"people want cheap" and show me their "shrink wraped" bushnells for $30-40 bucks! their top of the line

or it is the other way around with Swarovski,Leica Zeiss NOTHING "in between"

Last edited by rem06; 05/25/12.

NRA life member
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Keep watching Cameraland.....or call Doug & tell hime your

budget & what you want.....I like the looks of the Minox 13x56

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
So you aren't really looking for a better image but a tougher binocular ?
All I can tell you is that I haven't had a bincoular issue in a very long time. Min ride either around my neck, up as close as i can use them or in my pack, wrapped in spare clothing to both protect them and keep them warm. The box/bag, etc. stays in camp, but I always keep the oculars covered.
I'm kinda tough on my gear. I've busted three scope reticles, and gouged my rifles with falls, etc. so bad I finally decided the serious ones get painted metal and synthetic stocks.
I've got two Leupolds, a Yosemite and a Katmai, a Minox IF, a couple of Lecias and one Pentax SP. All of them work quite well w/o problems so far. The Pentax goes every where and gets carried all year except during the hunting season. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I cant see how a 250 pair of bushnells will even be better than the cascades?

That might be your answer. I actually looked through them side by side and purposefully chose the Bushnell.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of late I prefer switch or dual power binoculars. I like about 7X for scanning and 12X or so to see stuff far away.

Link to Switch Power binocs.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Savage_99,

I'm sorta of the same mind.

I have Vortex Raptor 6.5X32, Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 8X42, Minox 15X58 and lets not forget the Columbia Timberline 8X42 for loaning. Then there's the beloved Nikon Action Express 7-15X35.

If I was limited to one I would sell these and keep the Nikon 7-15X35.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rem06
I have a pair of 10x42 Leupold cascade binoculars that i am done with. I bought them for a mule deer hunt in 2006 and have been relatively happy with in the 5yrs that i owned them

By relatively i mean i sent them back and am on my 3rd pair of them! having been repaired once and replaced the second time.I dont carry them in bubble wrap! i use them! case thrown away!

for $300 bucks, they are nice. Well amongst all the Vortex Hype (or not?) i will be trying a pair of Vortex Viper 10x42 HD that are 2x the price at $599

anybody have a pair? I am looking for input and yes i know Swarovski makes them for 1500 bucks and are better!

but being in the $600.00 budget range are they the best bang for the buck? pro's and cons?

If your looking for a tough durable binocular in the $600 range, look at Minox HGs or Meopta Meostars. Youll probably need to look at used to fit in your price range, but they can be found. I'd stay away from the Chinese made stuff if your looking for durability

Last edited by 338rcm; 05/26/12.
R
rem06 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
almost had a pair of 10x40 zeiss conquest for $425! day late!

so far i have heard NO positives on the Vortex that i will see monday?

NRA life member
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'd buy a $250 Bushnell Legend HD before I'd buy any switch/zoom bino......except for the duovid of course.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 204guy, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,304
Posts18,487,128
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.