Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Originally Posted by 22WRF
I guess what I am saying is why are the elk anymore important than the the wolves?

Sounds like you are another one of the lib idiots that would rather have wolves than elk. A lot of us like to go where the elk are just to see them and during the rut to hear them bugle. You should get off your rear and pay attention to what you wolf lovers are doing to our big game population.

Do you make all of your arguments by calling the other person an idiot?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Give a tag to all elk and deer tag holders..

Get involved. The world is run by those who show up!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The wolves need to be killed off again period.. There's no other way......

1 and done
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I guess what I am saying is why are the elk anymore important than the the wolves?

Wow...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How many of you guys see wolves when your hunting elk and deer?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cocadori

Wow...
Not a Montana guy here, but I believe most guys aren't too happy with the wolves partly because some of their livelihoods depend on the elk and deer, i.e. making a living guiding, or feeding a family for the winter. I know that if wolves make a comeback in CO and the deer and elk populations suffer, we're not going to take any less game. But, we're going to have to work a lot harder and hike a lot further for it... wolves= a Big coyote the way I see it...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am sure there are some for whom the "feeding the family for the winter" argument is still valid, but I would think that the number dwindles every year. How much meat does one get from the average elk? And how much does it cost to hunt elk? For those who are local to the elk and actually shoot an elk the expense of hunting elk is probably quite low and the economics make sense. But there is certainly no guarentee that a hunter will take an elk, and if you factor out the entertainment value and add up the expenses for the equipment, gas, time and license it might be a better bet to spend those dollars on a side of beef instead.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't ever see spending my money on a side of beef when I pay $50 for a tag, walk up the street, and come down with 4 quarters of nutrient riddled, natural meat. Keep the beef...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As I said, "for those who are local to the elk and actually shoot an elk the expense of hunting elk is probably quite low and the economics make sense."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, and it is probably those local to the elk that are most concerned/angry about the comeback of the wolf, because part of their livelihoods depend upon wild game...

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
22WRF, Where ya from buddy? mtmuley

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The sky is falling.

Guys will always have an excuse as to why they can't fill an elk/deer tag.

Quit bitchin, buy a wolf tag or two and manage them. We can do it now - and there's still awesome hunting for elk/deer out there.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Pickin' up a wolf tag this fall...and seein' if I can manage to 'manage' one. grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The sky isn't falling, but the elk, moose, whatever sure is where ever the wolves have moved into. The Yellowstone elk herd went from almost 20,000 (with heavy hunting pressure) to less than 6,000. The bitterroot herd went from over 2,000 to 600. You get the idea.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Did you shoot a wolf last fall/winter? Did you buy a tag and hunt for one? Did you kill an elk, or are they all gone? I am somewhat familiar with it..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd love to see a wuff this year, I'd manage it laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As I said, "for those who are local to the elk and actually shoot an elk the expense of hunting elk is probably quite low and the economics make sense."

So...because I'm not local to elk (live in Florida), I shouldn't bother with hunting elk -- because the economics don't make sense? It'd just be cheaper for me to go buy a side of beef?

As was suggested earlier, you are an idiot.

Last edited by richardca99; 05/27/12.

Chris
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

The wolf has done more damage than just the Elk. The Moose have all but disappeared in SW Montana.

Is there still some good hunting out there yeah sure. Is it anything like it used to be or will ever be ..nope.

It's like sand through the hour glass... it'll run out if the wolf situation isn't rectified and pronto. It is virtually too late as it is. It took what 20-30 years to bring populations of Elk back to the numbers we had 10 years ago? so we are 20+ years out if the wolves disappeared right now today. The trouble is they are nearly doubling every year. If there is 20 in a pack and 3 females have 4-6 in the litter.

think about it...

There is more to it than meat. Like family time. Camaraderie, the romance of the hunt. The time you share with your son, daughter or your wife. Things that fill you with a lifetime of memories.

Nothing pisses me off more than to have some one somewhere else say ignorant schitt like.. weren't the wolves there first?

Nothing like comparing apples and oranges and saying they taste like chicken.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
life is about adapting to circumstances. there are no absolute guarentees. people get laid off everyday (post office now laying off 150,000, etc.). life requires adaptation. If a person's life depends on shooting and eating an elk I would say its time to move. If a person is in the guiding business you have to adapt as well.

"Nothing pisses me off more than to have some one somewhere else say ignorant schitt like.. weren't the wolves there first?"

As I said, Minnesota has more wolves than anywhere else in the US.

And I have hunted Elk in the great state of Montana 6 times. I spent a lot of money for those hunts, and I never saw an elk on any hunt even though I hunted hard and long. But I enjoyed those hunts very much, and I wouldn't have changed a one of them. That is why they call it hunting. You don't have to shoot anything to have comaraderie, family time, or fun.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Cocadori

The wolf has done more damage than just the Elk. The Moose have all but disappeared in SW Montana.

Is there still some good hunting out there yeah sure. Is it anything like it used to be or will ever be ..nope.

It's like sand through the hour glass... it'll run out if the wolf situation isn't rectified and pronto. It is virtually too late as it is. It took what 20-30 years to bring populations of Elk back to the numbers we had 10 years ago? so we are 20+ years out if the wolves disappeared right now today. The trouble is they are nearly doubling every year. If there is 20 in a pack and 3 females have 4-6 in the litter.

think about it...

There is more to it than meat. Like family time. Camaraderie, the romance of the hunt. The time you share with your son, daughter or your wife. Things that fill you with a lifetime of memories.

Nothing pisses me off more than to have some one somewhere else say ignorant schitt like.. weren't the wolves there first?

Nothing like comparing apples and oranges and saying they taste like chicken.

My opinion.. vastly different that this. Moose are not all but gone. Tag numbers in some areas are way lower, but the moose are still there. Local bio was going to cut local unit quotas even more, but in the end, she cut just one unit. Logic was hunter success, which is a crock to base quotas on because in tough areas, hunters won't hunt. They want that moose standing along the road, undisturbed like moose (pre-wolf) use to do. Moose are tough to count. They are still there. Like the elk, after the wolves, they don't sit in the open fields and pastures like they used to for the local cowboys to shoot up. You have to hunt elk. I still see a lot of elk, good elk, EVERY year, and have hunted the wolf areas since well before they were introduced. If you aren't buying a tag, hunting/killing wolves, along with bears, and coyotes and other predators... quit complaining.

The sky is not falling.

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (160user, 1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,244 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,011
Posts18,500,261
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.