Print Thread
Hop To
#6544689 05/28/12
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
A few years ago I posted about wanting a canoe for fishing the backwaters and strip mines. The reviews were mixed as to the canoe as a fishing platform. I bought one and did a ton of fishing out of it, eventually adding side stabilizers so I could stand and fish, a trolling motor for grins and a few other little niceties. Eventually, I got tied of putting it on top of my truck and sold it. Bought a 14 foot Jon and called it good. My wife kept seeing me browsing the net and reading about kayaks and she did a little research and found this review. http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/com...ad.php?t=80502

I read the review and mentioned that that would probably be the one I'd buy if I was gonna buy a Kayak. Well, for my birthday on Tuesday, she got one at Dicks Sporting goods for $499. I've had it out twice now and I have to say, it's been fun...and a little frustrating at the same time. But mostly fun.

This Yak tracks perfectly! Into the wind, down wind, cross wind, you don't get pushed around. The nose and stern have deep keels that keep it on line. Against a 25 mph wind, I had no trouble making great headway with minimal effort...but stop the paddling and you quickly come to a screeching halt! On calm water, a single stroke and this thing won't stop!

She's not tippy...but it can be tipped.

The swivel rod holder in front is semi-useless unless you have arms like Michael Jourdan. I say semi, because my spinner has a long shaft and I can nudge it with my foot and it flips back so I can grab it as its the flip style. The two rear rod holders work well and keep the rods out of the way when paddling.

The anchor trolley should run the length of the boat, but only runs the rear half. I foresee a mod coming. I haven't used the anchor that comes with the boat, but can appreciate that it may come in handy some day.

Tore up the bass yesterday, but all were small 12 and 13 inchers. No lunkers yet, but even the small ones will horse the nose of the yak around during their brief struggle.

The seat needs to be thicker and higher for long days. I spent 6 hours fishing yesterday with a couple of beachings to stretch my legs and back. Other than that, it was reasonably comfortable. It's easy enough while drift fishing to let your feet dandle in the water to cool off and alter positions enough to take the strain off the back.

I fashioned a hand paddle out of another oar to use for minor position changes while fishing. It's near perfect. One small stroke often makes the difference and hardly any effort is needed to accomplish what you want, but the hand paddle is a must rather than trying to fish and use the full size paddle at the same time.

As it's a sit on top, the scuppers work well, but there are two beneath the seat, so you will get wet! I won't use this when the water is cold! In the summer, it's soothing, otherwise you'd freeze your nads!

There's a lot of stuff bolted to this yak, but when 6 hours on the water was over, there was about a quarter cup of water in the hull. It comes with a drain plug as well.

My last observation is that the department of natural resources puts the boat ramps on every lake in the country at the wrong locations. The prevalent wind directions in the summer will ALWAYS be against you when heading home!

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You now have a stealth bass boat/upper body exercise machine. I had a rigid fol-bot for 7 yrs and was very successful with the bass.

One trick that worked well for me was an A shaped spring clamp with a length of rope. When moving around stucture you can clamp to a limb to remain stationary.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A brush clamp and a drift sock come in real handy in a 'yak. You can attach either one to the anchor trolley for precise control of drift/holding angle.

I agree with the full-length trolley mod, Dan. You won't use the front half very often but it's handy when you need it. The downside of having an anchor down from the bow is that you risk tangling your hooks in the rope. A LOT. Darn things are hook magnets in a 'yak because you face and cast that way.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 16penny, 61 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,889
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.