24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hi guys. I'm considering buying an Ithaca 200E 12 gauge with 30" barrels choked IC & Mod. I've suddenly developed an interest in side-by-sides. I mainly shoot skeet with a little sporting clays in the summer. If I do buy the gun it will be mainly used with a set of Briley Companion tubes in 28 gauge. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with one of these guns? And how well they hold up to regular use? The Ithaca/SKB guns have a solid reputation from what i've read. But am looking for opinions.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a 20 gauge Ithaca (SKB) 280E which is the same gun as the 200E with a few embellishments added. It is a well built, nice handling shotgun that works very well for me for upland hunting. I also have a Browning BSS 12 gauge. In my opinion, the two are very similar in form and function and equal in quality and durability. They are very sturdy and attractive guns that can still be purchased for "reasonable" prices. The BSS is, for me, a very easy side by side to shoot well, so you might want to consider it as well as you look for a deal.

My 280:

[Linked Image]

BSS (second from top):

[Linked Image]

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 05/21/12.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good guns! I'd like to find one myself.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The 200E, IIRC, has a standard, pistol-grip stock (which I prefer).. I cannot use a straight stock - wrist just doesn't bend that way.. smile

Those are good shotguns, well-built and you'll be satisfied with its performance for years..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
OP Offline
Thanks for the input guys. I think this one may come home if I can get my pennies saved up in time. I've been in the market for a new shotgun for awhile and I wanted something different than I normally would use.

Redneck, I'm the same as you. I can't use a straight stock shotgun. My wrist just doesn't feel natural using on either.

wildhobbybobby, the BSS is another option I've been considering. The only issue is, as usual, when I'm actually in the market for one they all disappear from the market. Last month my shop had several come through. Ah well time will tell.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm new to this site and so far I'm enjoying it.

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
28, I had both the Ithaca and Browning shotguns..one in 20 and one in 12...the Ithaca shot both barrels low, and the Browning would shoot trap loads ok, but with heavy loads it shot the left barrel low and left...

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I had a Fabarms SXS in yesterday (just an FFL transfer) and I put it together just to see how it pointed.. Straight stock - very uncomfortable..

Only way I could use a straight stock is if I was shooting from the waist... laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 280E is one of the best upland SXS you can buy for the money. Nice shotgun you have

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a fully engraved Model 100, same gun I think just not as fancy. It is very well built and fitted and solid as a rock.

`Bring Enough Gun`
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a Model 100 also. Opened the barrel a bit to .003 in the right bbl and .010 in the left. It's a grouse killing machine. These are nice guns and i am sure you will not be disapponted.

FWIW, the SKB double design was leased by Galazan as the basis of his RBL.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
IC B3

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had my 20 ga Ithaca/SKB for, oh, about 30 years and it would be one of the last guns I ever parted with.

It is very light, fits me perfectly, and I can drop in a 3 inch magnum load when if I have to (I have been told that not all models had the 3 inch chamber, so check).

John

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Had two 12's in the past. A std model and a magnum version which was a bit heavier and sported a beaver tail forend . I think the skb sxs are without a doubt the best value in a sxs out there bar none and probably one of the most reliable as these guns are 30 years old and have been around for some time and I don't ever recall hearing about one with problems though I 'm sure like anything mechanical there are a few. Selling mine was probably the worst gun trading decisions I ever made. If you can get one reasonably jump on it quick.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You're correct, bangeye, there's very few issues with the SKBs.. Other than an occasional hammer spring or firing pin, they rarely require anything else. The main thing is to keep the innards clean and dry, the pivoting surfaces lightly greased and choke tubes with a dab of lube on 'em and you're good to go for a looooooooong time.

I've been shooting SKBs since '68 - and I get one or two in the shop every year or so. The only parts I keep on hand is a set of firing pins, hammer springs and a trigger return spring.. I can't recall needing any thing else - except once a guy dropped his and broke the buttstock. A new one was obtained in short order and he was back in business.

Parts are available from Ron Sharp in Ontario, Canada..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
OP Offline
Thanks again for all the input guys. It's a good bet I'll be sending the seller of this gun an "I'll take it" message on the weekend. I'm just waiting to hear back from him about a couple of details I had questions about. For 500 bucks I can't really go wrong. And on saturday I'll be going to a sporting clays shoot and a buddy of mine that I haven't shot with in awhile will be there with the twin to the 200E I'm looking at, so I can give one another swing to make sure it's as awesome as I remember.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Only $500??? You better not wait for the weekend.. That's a steal..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
OP Offline
A little more than 500 with our psycho Canadian taxs but still a steal. The message has been sent to the seller to set it aside for me. New toy coming soon.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have had a M100 20 gauge with 28" barrels for years. Fine gun especially with the longer barrels. I have never had any issues with it other than my 13 year old taking a real liking to it. I picked up a 26" barreled 200E 12 gauge when I was living in Canada five years ago. It was a deal (as many were up there it seemed) so I bought it but do wish it had longer barrels. I had a BSS which I sold as it was a bit too "bulky" for me. The Ithaca's are well proven guns and still a bargain at $1K for a mint one in my opinion. Here's the 20.

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by orion03
I have a fully engraved Model 100, same gun I think just not as fancy. It is very well built and fitted and solid as a rock.

1+

Those SKB/Ithaca's have an excellent reputation for being well made and mostly trouble free. I have a Mdl 100 20 w/ 25" barrels and shortened stock set aside for my grandsons first grouse gun.

NB

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
OP Offline
AHHHHHHHH!!!! Just heard back from the seller. It sold yesterday before he saw my email. He was away all weekend or else it would have been mine. Ah well time to go on the lookout for something else. Just such a killer deal.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ya snooze - ya lose.. smile

BTDT...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

371 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,015
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.