-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
About a 18months ago, one of my favorite writers got a television show, and on it he hunts from his cabin on Prince of Wales Island. It was about then I started planning a hunt here with my Dad.

A couple of issues arose in our planning, my wife got pregnant (my fault) and my Dad had to have his hip replaced (not my fault). Luckily, both are healthy, but Dad has a little hitch in his get along. And I'll have a large to do list when I return.

We will be here till Friday, and will be hunting here in about 2 hours for my Dad's bear.

On to the story: We arrived worn out from the jet lag and time differences. Our plan was to hunt the west side of the island in the typical spot and stalk fashion POW is known for. However, we were beat and I asked our host if any of his guests had ever hunted down this particular river, and lake chain it was connected to. Jason said there's never been one of his hunters hunt there, so off we went. We saw two smallish bears, but that was it for the first night.

The second night, we made it over to our put in on the West side of the island and there were three other boats hunting out of that boat launch. At 3:00 we saw our first bear from the boat, and Dad dropped me off on an island between me and the bear. I crept to the other side but it was gone when I emerged on his side of the island. I made another stalk on a bear, but I was having trouble guessing the distance and I started my stalk about a three quarters of a mile away and it was gone when I rounded the corner.

On the third night, we spotted three bears but they were very boat shy. From 350 yards I could see one bear through my binos looking at us, and easing back into the woods. Another bear ran away with his pants on fire at about 300 yards. The last of the night just faded back. This was all in a quarter mile stretch from about 8:00 till dark (9:20).

Monday night we decided the boats were our enemies. We went back to the quarter mile spot, found massive amounts of bear poop, and well worn trails. Our plan was for my dad to sit near the flats where we spotted them and for me to make my way further up the creek mouth. After we unloaded, we discovered the vibrations from the prior days riding had loosened my dad's scope, so our plans changed and we decided to sit together. We found an amazingly soft spot under an over hanging spruce and I used my range finder to mark the various structures around us. My furthest shot would be 355 yards and the closest would be 93.

After about 20 minutes a blacktail doe, came out twenty yards to our left and meandered around us. (We've seen hundreds each night driving back--that hunt is being discussed already). About ten minutes later, a buck in velvet walks out about 150 yards away and while I am glassing it, Dad says,

"Theres a bear Andy, shoot it!"

The bear was following the path of the blacktail doe, and was almost in the woods when I spotted it. It looked like a big ball of black with no legs and two oreos attached to a black globe. I'd like to tell you I studied it greatly and found it big enough because I am great connoisseur of black bears and big game in general. The truth is I gasped, cursed, and maybe passed a little gas and sent a shot down as quickly as possible. My 180 gr Nosler Partition from a Tikka T3 Lite .30-06 was plenty of medicine. The bear spun around, ran and fell into the ugliest water on the whole dang island. I thought only moose did this.

It was crazy difficult getting it out of that creek and up the two foot bank. But we did, and we had a heck of a time getting it out of the boat.

It was 6'4" and guessed at about 310 pounds, and the final tally from the sealer was 20 1/4 inches.

I'd like to publically thank a couple guys who really helped me with this. First, Chesapeake pretty much helped me get all the logistics straight. He saved me tons of time and money. Ironbender, Calvin, and Ribka were all kind enough to answer my pms.

I've uploaded pics, hopefully they will show up.

Attached Images
small in the water.JPG (42.5 KB, 267 downloads)
boat small.JPG (35.97 KB, 243 downloads)
score small.JPG (31.7 KB, 254 downloads)

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Congradulations....

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Congrats

Yep boat shy based upon my experience up there.

thanks for sharing

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well done.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very cool, and props to the guys that helped you.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Cool to see it all work out. 20" is good sized. Muskeg runoff is special stuff.

Rick
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nice bear Andy! Congratulations!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A few more pics now that I've returned home

[Linked Image]

This is where I was sitting

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That ledge was a real challenge pulling it over

[Linked Image]

catching my breath

[Linked Image]

Pulling it out

[Linked Image]

Lots of good meat

[img]http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc371/Scopolamine1/DSCN0160.jpg[/img]

Finally skinned

[img]http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc371/Scopolamine1/DSCN0192.jpg[/img]

Loaded

[img]http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc371/Scopolamine1/IMG_1547.jpg[/img]

Dinner

[img]http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc371/Scopolamine1/IMG_1582.jpg[/img]

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great story, and dinner looks very good too!

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Congrats, SE is a special place.

Assuming it was a mount problem on your dad's rig, what mounts/rings?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Chesapeake
Muskeg runoff is special stuff.

I work hard to make it turn that color you know . . .

Good work there Scop - thanks for thinning them bears out.

Reminds me that I have 4 bear tag reports I have to file. Didn't hunt on any of them.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Muskeg--I sent that little blue hunt report card, and I look forward to hearing back from the fish and game. What kind of report do they send you about your bear?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm only reporting that I didn't hunt. But fin, fur an feathers doesn't like it when you don't file your reports on time. Don't ask me how I know . . .

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (AlleghenyMountain, 44mc, 7887mm08, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, AceBall, 14 invisible), 1,634 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,839
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.