Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Do a trade-off and evaluate the potential results:

2 cows will be worth ? in 2 years or whenever you sell them. Put the money in an S&P 500 index fund and assume 6% return over the same period. Which is higher?

Regardless, when you sell the cows, be sure to put it back into the 401k.

GB1

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by slh123
If you already have the acreage with good fences, a tractor, trailer, truck, working pens, etc. and about $70,000 (to buy the 40 head of brangus/braford) and the spare time...They could net about $20,000. There is money to be made with cattle, but it's a little more work than letting it sit in an investment account.

probably the best thoughts on this.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by djs

2 cows will be worth ? in 2 years or whenever you sell them. Put the money in an S&P 500 index fund and assume 6% return over the same period. Which is higher?

Assumption is the mother of all *uckups. What planet are you living on where you'll get a 6% rate of return on stocks or bonds, other than Euro PIIGS sovereigns over the next two years?

In constant 2000 FRN$'s the real rate of return for stocks has been negative for the last 12 years. Sure, there have been some bear market ralley's, all induced by Fed money printing, we just had one; but overall we're in a secular bear for equities and about to enter one for bonds. 6%? Not bloody likely.

Last edited by mike762; 06/03/12.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
well right now bonds are kicking ass since the market is down. ours are averaging 5.5%

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
assuming you got the grass and feed to carry a cow for a year , and a conservative 85% calf crop........

the 1500 dollar cow will return you maybe 800 bucks a head at current calf prices......alot better than 5 or 6 %...of course there is a little work involved there , as well as mineral expense , vet , fuel , and such

don't forget the cows are 5 year depreciable assets for income tax purposes ...so the tax issue is likely a moot point

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by manydogs
Originally Posted by Muleskinner
Those cows will cost you more than $1,500. First, you'll have to pay tax on that distribution from your 401K. Next, you're going to pay 10% of your withdraw in IRS penalties. In the end, those cows will cost you 25-30% more than the price you pay. Since when can you sell cows for that much more?

Now lets not go throwing cold water all over a guy's dream of finally being able to, for once in his life, be a real honest to goodness COWBOY. grin

Think this old boy has been raising and selling cows for many years. Already owns the land, just sold off what cows he had in the dry years.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by mike762
Originally Posted by djs

Assumption is the mother of all *uckups. What planet are you living on where you'll get a 6% rate of return on stocks or bonds, other than Euro PIIGS sovereigns over the next two years?

In constant 2000 FRN$'s the real rate of return for stocks has been negative for the last 12 years. Sure, there have been some bear market ralley's, all induced by Fed money printing, we just had one; but overall we're in a secular bear for equities and about to enter one for bonds. 6%? Not bloody likely.

Absolutely correct; the past decade has experienced a ROE of 0.6% in the 12 years between 2000 and 2012. However, it has seen a 20% rate of return in the bull market 18 years between 1982 and 2000. It does take a long term horizon, but depending on one's age , they may be able to ride-it-out and get higher returns. I should have said that in the previous posting. (see: http://caldwellorkin.com/?page_id=301 )

In my own case, I've received a 8% return on my broadly diversified investments over the past year and a 21% return in the years between 1999 and 2012 through low cost mutual funds. I think 6% is reasonable over the next 8 years. And, I am from planet Earth!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Everyone keeps saying, "Well, atleast you will have food". How many freaking cows are you going to eat? What are you going to do when you overstock your pastures, wipe out all your forage and have a bunch of cows and nothing else. All it takes is one drought and all you have is a bunch of worthless cows that you need to supplement with high priced hay. If you are trying to make real money with cattle, that is a full time endeavor. There are enough weekend warriors trying to make a dollar taking a trailer full of heifers to market. There are much better ways to make some money.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djs

It has always been true that a 6% return will, "draw money from the moon", it is unrealistic to expect that good of an inflation adjusted return on any investment unless you are also injecting some sweat equity.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Can you borrow against the 401k and loan yourself the money? My plan offers 5 yr loans for whatever at a fixed rate of prime plus 1%, or 4.25% today.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Cows are like gold these days - both priced high. But either one will be worth more in the very near future, when both the dollar and the stock market take a plunge. Buy what you can with what remains of the $1,500. after taxes, if you can't buy heifers buy calves.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Edit: Didn't know the OP already knew cows. Forget what I said then.

Last edited by pira114; 06/03/12.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks Wtxj, what bothers me now is in May we barely got any rain. usually June isn't a rainy month either. Think were in for what we had last year. Just feelin' kinda' shakey about the coming years stock market .I know cows and not the Stock market. If I lose a cow to johnson grass that's Gods way of tellin' me to pay better attention, If I lose $40,000 in paper stock that's his way of tellin' me I'm a dumbass.

NOVIT EMIM DOMINUS QUI SUNT EUIS {Arnauld Amalric} "Kill them all,God will know His." Never trust Horses ,Women and very few Mules.A good rifle will let in lots of AIR AND LIGHT.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take half, buy one cow rebuild money, buy another. Beef is up this year.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Beef cattle market is predicted to peak in 2013 then begin the 7 year cycle towards the bottom.

Personally I would not be buying a bunch of cows right now on the high end of the market.

I guess if you had extra grass and cash maybe buy some light steers and run them this Summer and hope the market holds or goes up. It's flattened out this Spring so maybe it'll take a little jump towards Fall.

My wife and I each have a 401K, it's money that doesn't even exist(IMO) but I guess we'll see what it does in the longterm.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
It's tough. I have a good amount in my 401k. I am thinking about reducing it from the 5% I currently withhold and moving it back down to the 3% matched by my employer. Then holding the difference back and buying long storage foods and commodities to trade. I think it is about a 50-50 chance within the next 5 years we will have a collapse of the market. I am not certain we will have a argentinian super inflation but we will have some serious inflation. I don't think it will be on the scale of Greece or Argentina.

Just because we have the production capacity of goods and services to service our own country but it will be a good couple years for us to re-equalize to a more national based economy away from the global centric one we have now. Which may be a good thing in the very long run 10-20 years but will be a pretty bad deal in the short term.

I wish I had the land to raise some cattle or better yet goats.
They can eat anything and breed at a much better rate along with being tasty. Maybe throw a few sheep in there for clothing. My Mother has a spinning wheel and can knit and weave cloth and I am sure I can figure that out in short order. I have skills to trade. I am an I.T. Administrator with good hardware level skills along with very good mechanical and electrical repair and maintenance understanding. So hopefully I will be better off than some.

People need to keep in mind though that the "land you have" unless it is paid of will be useless to you in the case of a collapse. If you don't have an ability to pay the payment the banks will care less if we are in a depression. Some rich guy (there will still be some there always is) will decide he wants it and you will be SOL.

The best thing you can do is to take any money you have left over every month and add it to your mortgage payment. Or better yet make bi-Weekly payments on your mortgage. i.e 60% payment every 2 weeks. You would be shocked to find out how much faster you will pay it off. Paying bi-weekly payments adding 10% to each payment will pay you off up to 10 years faster on a 30 year mortgage. so if you have only 12 years left doing that will be even better you may pay it of in 7-9 years. Depending on your interest rate and size of the loan.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fixitquick79
The best thing you can do is to take any money you have left over every month and add it to your mortgage payment.

This is exactly what we are doing. It should reduce our 30 year loan to about 15 years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Muleskinner
Those cows will cost you more than $1,500. First, you'll have to pay tax on that distribution from your 401K. Next, you're going to pay 10% of your withdraw in IRS penalties. In the end, those cows will cost you 25-30% more than the price you pay. Since when can you sell cows for that much more?

Well maybe yes and maybe no. You can borrow on most 401K's then its a loan to yourself but I'd say its still a bad thing. There would be no IRS penalties in this case however.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by catosilvaje
I have a little money in an un secured account with JP MORGAN it has made about $1500 in the last few months. To me that is two calves. I think I need to turn that worthless paper into cows. What is your tale on this?

Hay's gonna be cheap now, beef ain't.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Mako25

I'd get way more satisfaction out of a pair of heifers.

Twins?

Camp is where you make it.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

170 members (160user, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 1,659 guests, and 967 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,102
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.