-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had good luck with my First Lites. They are warm and dry quick and they are soft. A bonus is you can machine wash and dry them.

GB1

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
+1 capilene for me. phil

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
merino wool or silk

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since most of us here are hunters, and obviously concerned with stink...

Might I suggest you all do some research on the benefits of chlorophil used as a supplement before season opener.

I learned that little trick from G Fred Asbell. Maybe its just something us bowhunter types worry about...

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I learned that trick from my older brother who is a pharmasist. Problem though is that some synthetic materials are fertile ground for bacterial growth due to the fiber design. No matter how well you maintain your personal odor, some synthetics take on a life of thier own, grow legs and begin to walk like a second homeless person.

But yes, chlorophil does work, not to make you undetectable by game animals, but it definitely keeps you clean smelling when otherwise you would not.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Merino for me too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree Gary, it knocks the stink down a few notches. Enough so that I feel game probably smells you and thinks "that human is still a hundred yards away..."

Chlorophil and Merino Wool works better than anything Scentlok sells.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Another Merino wool fan, will never go synthetic again.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm tired of the stink in my synthetics--even after washing...I'll be trying the Merino this year.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
After using ua and other synthetics for the last ten years, I finally switched to merino last year after reading its good graces all over the internet. I don't see myself going back any time soon.

I spend a lot of time in a tree stand here in OK. The synthetics are great at wicking any moisture and regulating temp while walking into the stand, but once you are stationary they have almost no insulating properties. I could hunt one day and never even break a sweat and my synthetics stink to high heaven. They just seem to breed it. The merino on the other hand I can wear for 5 days straight and not a bit of stink. It regulates temp and pulls moisture almost as good as the synthetics, but has way better insulating properties once no longer moving. My only complaint on the merino, is that even the lightweight (170g) tops and bottoms I have tend to get a little too warm at times.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for Merino wool. I like stuff made by Icebreaker best, but there are others that are good, as well.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I completely agree with using merino wool base layers,but I have a hard time spending $35.00 -$50.00 for a pair of boxers
Tim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Biggs300
Smartwool, medium-weight, top and bottoms. Sure made my 2nd rifle season, CO elk hunt comfy last year. We had temps from the 50's, down to the teens with both rain and snow and they worked great.

I hiked and hunted in ten degree weather in New Mexico with just my smartwool top, bottom, and fleece sweats. I had other layers in my bag but never got them out. Smart wool is great.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't mind capilene if I'm not super-active - otherwise, merino all the way.

Under Armor flat-out sucks. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,046
Posts18,500,919
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.