Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have and like both; however, I absolutely love Ruger 77 MK/II actions. I love their extractors, scope mounting system, stainless trigger guards and looks.

So here is my question. Can a skilled gunsmith custom barrel/build a Ruger and get it to shoot just as accurate as a Remington 700?

Or...

Will a Remington 700 always out shoot a Ruger?

Please speak up if any of you have used the Ruger 77 MK/II as a basis for an extremely accurate hunting rifle.

I will use a Brux, Krieger, Rock, or Bartlein barrel on which ever action I eventually choose.

I'm hoping, all things being equal, a Ruger 77 MK/II can be made to shoot just as accurately as a Remington 700!

I'm wanting to build an accurate 20" barreled carbine for treestand and tight cover hunting. Something similar to the Savage Carbine or Remington LTR.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have not yet built on a Mk II action, but have a few M77 (tang safety) builds, and yes they shoot as well as a 700.

9.3x62
[Linked Image]
6.5-06ai
[Linked Image]
.275 Rigby
[Linked Image]
.308 Norma
[Linked Image]
.257 Roberts (SA)
[Linked Image]

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel

I will use a Brux, Krieger, Rock, or Bartlein barrel on which ever action I eventually choose.

I'm hoping, all things being equal, a Ruger 77 MK/II can be made to shoot just as accurately as a Remington 700!

Go for it...no problemo...

I would especially reccomend one of the newer MKIIs from Prescott AZ...( about the last ten years...) Overall QC seems to be better on those rifles since I think they went to all new CNC machinery after the move to Prescott....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would like to officially say that you suck. laugh Those are some fine rigs, there. Not a single one I wouldn't like to see gracing my gun cabinet.

Originally Posted by sactoller
I have not yet built on a Mk II action, but have a few M77 (tang safety) builds, and yes they shoot as well as a 700.

9.3x62
[Linked Image]
6.5-06ai
[Linked Image]
.275 Rigby
[Linked Image]
.308 Norma
[Linked Image]
.257 Roberts (SA)
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you! They iz fun!

[Linked Image]
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Sactoller, I really like all of those rifles.

I'm glad to hear Rugers can be made just as accurate as Remingtons.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you! They iz fun!

You suck!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I also love the Ruger. Dave Clements built a couple 358 Winchesters on Ruger actions for Black Bear guns & they shoot great. Nothing prettier in the bolt action line. But I've never seen one on IBS benches but plenty of 700s.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Karnis
Thank you! They iz fun!

You suck!

Youz juz gel-us!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would look for a gunsmith that likes to worth with Ruger actions. I always think a smith does better work when they approve of the parts.

I've seen some pretty accurate Rugers. It seems like magazine box constraints are tighter when compared to a LA 700 action, but the short actions seem to be just fine.

Hey, if you're into Rugers and want a short carbine, maybe you can get one of them Ruger Gunsite Scout rifles!

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I, too, have a tang safety Ruger that shoots quite well. Just worked up some loads for it using Ramshot TAC powder and Sierra 100 gr. HP and 120 gr. PH bullets. Even with a fairly light, #1 contour, 24 inch barrel, the better groups ran from the .4's to the .7 range. E

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ingwe

Go for it...no problemo...

I would especially reccomend one of the newer MKIIs from Prescott AZ...( about the last ten years...) Overall QC seems to be better on those rifles since I think they went to all new CNC machinery after the move to Prescott....

Huh??

Ng, ole buddy, how many single malts did you partake of prior to this epistle?

Ruger bolts are made, and always have been made (with the possible exception of a few early prototypes in the late '60s) in the Newport, NH plant.
Perhaps you're thinking of Mkll pistols?

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have and like both; however, I absolutely love Ruger 77 MK/II actions. I love their extractors, scope mounting system, stainless trigger guards and looks.

So here is my question. Can a skilled gunsmith custom barrel/build a Ruger and get it to shoot just as accurate as a Remington 700?

Or...

Will a Remington 700 always out shoot a Ruger?

Please speak up if any of you have used the Ruger 77 MK/II as a basis for an extremely accurate hunting rifle.

I'm wanting to build an accurate 20" barreled carbine for treestand and tight cover hunting. Something similar to the Savage Carbine or Remington LTR.

You just phckin with us for a sunday kick or what??? I've had many Ruger mkII'S and hawkeyes that shoot. I even have one tang safety 300 win mag that shows promise. I'd run my 338 win mag against any Remington 700 in the same flavor:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
It shoots like this every time I take it out.....

My new to me 300 win mag (tang safety) shows promise too, as I haven't tried too many loads through it yet:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
(group shot after I re-installed the scope after it was cerakoted)

My 308 Hawkeye shoots decent enough too:
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/020-3.jpg[/img]

.........and my Ruger MKII 223 does alright:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/001-85.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/002-65.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/001-70.jpg[/img]

I don't see why you couldn't get a "custom" ruger M77 to shoot....... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,764 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,200
Posts18,503,662
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.