OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by temmi
Doc,

With all the places in Texas...

Why Midland?

Snake

As JGRaider points out, the economy's great, traffic's no big deal, and the people (with the exception of the batshitt-crazy woman at Jake's Clays mentioned earlier) are hospitable and friendly.

Besides, I'm a wide-open spaces kind of guy, so West Texas suits me really well. I was always kinda claustrophobic in the forest in Wisconsin.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lived in San Angelo and San Antonio - what I miss of Texas can be summed up in one word:

BBQ

Other than that - I'm okay here in woods....

Me

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter

IMO; if God was to give Texas an enema, that's where he would plug it in.

OK, I don't care where you're from...TFF!

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Doc,

With all the places in Texas...

Why Midland?

Snake

As JGRaider points out, the economy's great, traffic's no big deal, and the people (with the exception of the batshitt-crazy woman at Jake's Clays mentioned earlier) are hospitable and friendly.

Besides, I'm a wide-open spaces kind of guy, so West Texas suits me really well. I was always kinda claustrophobic in the forest in Wisconsin.

Ok given you like Midland..

But there is also Uvalde and all points west of San Antone

It really get dicy east of Houston

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Doc,

Ok given you like Midland..

But there is also Uvalde and all points west of San Antone

It really get dicy east of Houston Abilene

Snake

Fixed it for you.

Last edited by jlboykin; 06/04/12.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
We in New Mexico don't want Midland!

You'll claim Hobbs, but don't want Midland ? Seriously? smile

Yeah!! They also have Jal, Eunice, Loving, Maljamar, and multiple other places. And they don't want Midland???? They couldn't handle Midland. smile I lived there for 26 years and it was a great place. I am sure it has changed now with all the Oil boom going on but it used to be a gfredat place to live and raise a family. I left a lot of friends there.

Jim

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Midland ain't bad...some old but good memories

Bob's Better Burger
Burger Train
Chief Drive-In
Four Seasons
Jack Rabbits
Horny Toads
"A" Street Park when it rained
Hot as hell and dry but 1000X more comfortable than the Bayou City $h!thole
Grass painted green in the winter
A black side, a mexican side and all the rest

Not so good memories...

Stickers, goat heads and mesquite thorns in my feet, bicycle and motorcycle tires
Few trees
Water that smells like a mixture of $h!t and piss and tastes far worse

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I think we had an inferiority complex... those big shiny trucks & all...

No we just don't have a need to excuse all the phvcked up chit our state produces....nor do we have a blind compulsion to defend and overlook all the faults of a completely phvcked up state just because it's 'texass'.

If the big talkers that call themselves 'texans' actually put their mouth where their puzzie is, the rest of the country might have some respect for them. But instead they travel north and piss off, moan and bitch, and prove what complete and utter douchebags they are.

The dumbphvcks are being over-run by mexicans yet they wanna' complain about the same.

Nothing funnier than Washington crying about Texas...

It isn't that you aren't smart...It's just that you know so much that is wrong. Bless your heart...

Last edited by tlfw; 06/15/12.

The land of the free because of the brave.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You've obviously never been to Pecos. The armpit of the universe.

Pecos???

Naah, ya hang a right at Fort Stockton and do a quick 50 miles and there you are. Right past Mosquito Lake grin (dont worry I have never seen it with actual water in it).

Good place to get gas at all hours. Got a Wal-mart there too. Best of all it takes absolutely no time at all to drive through, maybe a light or two.

Bump over the railroad tracks past that museum place that is never open and before ya know it you're blowing across Mordor again towards the booming megopolis of Orla, where nobody lives. In daylight you can watch oncoming trucks emerge from the mirage, at night you can wonder who TF would be driving out there that time of night except drug smugglers and such.

They do have a "picnic area" or two along the highway where you can sit and admire the desert scrub and low humps of the Delaware Mountains through the shimmer while dying of heat exhaustion.

Then keep going past the turnoff Red Bluff Lake where the fish are so suicidal/desperate for company they'll hit anything at all. People actually have RV's and retirement singlewides out amid the scrub and heat mirages there and you think who in the world would wanna live out there unless they're practising for an eternity in Hell.

But, keep going, pretty much fast as you want (famous last words... I have NEVER seen a Cop out there grin) and thirty minutes later Paradise appears in the form of a WELCOME TO NEW MEXICO. LAND OF ENCHANTMENT sign.

Its weird, immediately the road surface and the terrain changes. Malaga and then Loving and there you are....

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
By the way, to the New Mexican who said smething snide about Hobbs; I had a great experience at a highpower rifle sihlouette match there once.

What I recall about Hobbs was a sign in front of the Dairy Queen stating "WE HAVE BANANAS TODAY" grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
New Mexico rules.

Texas sucks.

Just how it is.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
El Paso is the armpit of Texas

??? El Paso???

To really appreciate El Paso ya gotta go there on the 4th, dont worry about finding the firework displays they'll bring 'em to you, right on I10 and Hwy 54 (???). Just look for the crowds and the burning bushes that caught fire and dont worry when bottle rockets ricochet off of the car grin

Or join the crowds on the Trans-Mountain Parkway over the Franklin Mountains and watch the actually pretty good firework display against the backdrop of a literal Hell, the yellow street lights of Juarez.

Pretty good birding in McKittrick (???) Canyon Park, as long as you dont mind stepping around the condoms.

Aint got no beef with El Paso, actually like the place. I used to date a girl from there. Best of all its just 90 minutes from the Sacramento Mountains cool

I would live there in a heartbeat.

Orla TX? not so much grin

Birdwatcher

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

But, keep going, pretty much fast as you want (famous last words... I have NEVER seen a Cop out there grin) and thirty minutes later Paradise appears in the form of a WELCOME TO NEW MEXICO. LAND OF ENCHANTMENT sign.

Birdwatcher

Funny you should say that, two of the three times a Texas DPS Trooper has stopped me have been on that road, within the past two years! grin Both times for doing less than 5mph over the posted speed limit.
Of course, I WAS driving a type of vehicle that could have been carrying any number of contraband items... grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Hey, Orla has tons of coyotes. grin

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All I have to say about the Orla area is, if you could somehow set Red Bluff Lake on fire, you'd have a pretty much picture-perfect depiction of Hell.

JMHO of course grin

But actually, the fishing at the lake was very good when me and my brother stopped in decades ago. Stocked reg'lar, with very little fishing pressure that I could tell.

Birdwatcher

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by eyeball
Hey, Orla has tons of coyotes. grin

I've killed a couple or three good mule deer over there too.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Ssshhh wink
JG, I hunted near there a lot of years on Roy Lindsays place north of Mentone on the Pecos, but only saw one big deer and that was on a coyote hunt in Jan. He had heavy horns and was a 27 in. 5x5 limping along and breeding the does. Roy, God rest his soul, assured me he occasionally saw a big deer in that country. 95 sections I think on the old Lindley place and he had given one of his sons control of the adjoining huge ranch to the north of that.

There was also an old certifiable Texas cowgirl wo had a big place out of Orla and to the west of the highway (south of Orla) where I hunted coyotes several times over the years there but never saw a big deer. She assured me they had them before the mountain lions took over. Sadly, she passed several years ago and I can't remember her name. Yes, after thinking about it for these ten min., she was Evelyn Dale Cooksey but her namebhad changed after a remarriage. Now I remember it as Evelyn Dale Cooksey Carr. Have you really seen any real monsters in that country?

Last edited by eyeball; 06/16/12.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The helicopter pilot for Roy told me he had never seen a real monster in that country but had seen some around Alpine.

Last edited by eyeball; 06/16/12.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I can't say I've seen any monsters. I hunted the Dinwiddie ranch there, last time was probably 25 years ago. My dad grew up in Jal where the old man lived, and Dinwiddie had a ranch West of there also. The good bucks I killed there were 160 class deer, which was big for me at that time. That is some harsh country down there for sure. Sounds like you had a pretty good place to hunt too. I also hunted many years down around Valentine. Biggest buck I killed down there was bumping 170" By the middle of my college days I realized most of the really, really big bucks were in the sand. Low deer densities but some real bombers. I had the run of the Frying Pan while Mr Linebery was alive.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
He was a character, and patient of mine.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1eyedmule, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 52 invisible), 18,263 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,951
Posts18,539,526
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.