Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Is the answer to hunt say, north of Red Lake, or further?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I moved from there 10 years ago only the occasional deer was seen. I have no idea what it is like now.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
North of Red Lake, you will see more caribou than deer, is my guess. Moose too.

There's deer to be had here in the Dryden area, but private land hunts seem to be more productive, if you can arrange for it.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
The Red Lake example was the idea that if a hunter got as far as possible from "the Beaten Path" it would be better hunting. Just in case some of you are thinking,(Go south, stay the "bleep" in the states),if black powder, or shotgun hunting is your cup of tea,come on down to Iowa.Don't expect to have wide open spaces to yourself of course.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is the price of a foreigner deer tag in Iowa?

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Randy, I am not sure. It should be online. Iowa DNR is the = to the OMNR. A friend that lives on Thunder Lake tell me one Iowa deer is worth six Ontario deer. Corn fed they are. If you are thinking cheap meat,I doubt if it would be the case.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Randy Missouri has some killer bucks, and tags are over the counter. Iowa is a draw state even for archery. Fom waht I've heard, you never get picked the first year, but will get a preferance point. We have taken some decent bucks in ND. Public land bowhunts tags were easy to get. Didn't go last year. Two or three bad winters really hurt the mulies. Now they have had an outbeak of EHD, really hurt some of the whitetails in western ND.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With what I have read about taking a gun into or out of Canada I am staying away.

There are more deer where it's warmer anyways. At least here in the NE where the winter kill was the worst ever.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Unlike Canada I do not think borrowing a firearm in the US is such problem. That is if someone will loan one.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Taking a firearm into Canada is not a big deal. It took a grand total of twenty minutes at the border station, for four of us to get thru. They never even looked at the guns. I live in NE, Canada has some of the best deer hunting in north america.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Savage_99
With what I have read about taking a gun into or out of Canada I am staying away.

There are more deer where it's warmer anyways. At least here in the NE where the winter kill was the worst ever.

It's a cakewalk taking a rifle into Canada....it's all about collecting the $50 bucks, or whatever it is.I sail through....you fax the form to customs at point of entry,they know who you are before you get there.Done it so many times they have you on a revolving door.

The people are great in Canada,the country beautiful,the hunting uncrowded,and never had a bad time (although Saskatchewan F&G sucks eggs;they're like German SS).The deer are abundant,mostly,the hunting fun,and if you get lucky the one you kill will be HUGE!

Plus, there are wolves,bears, coyotes,elk,moose,partridges and other cool stuff....

Plus licenses are over the counter,and a good way to avoid the absolutely silly draw system prevalent in so many Western states today, that means you ain't hunting every year....maybe every 5-10 if you are lucky.

Ooohhh CANADA! smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Welcome to Canada. Getting guns across the border is no big deal for us Canucks going down to the US either. Just have your paperwork filled out properly and your good to go. Both countries have great hunting opportunities. I kind of like Oklahoma and Nebraska as somewhat sleeper US deer hunting states. I think it is easier to get tags in the US than it is in Canada. Your system of PP's is the best method by far! A US resident can't go hunt in BC, Alta and very limited area in Sask. Not fair.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Rene it is true we US residents must be guided up there....this has been little problem for me,except in Saskathchewan and I don't go there anymore.I hate the stupid rules.

Alberta,Manitoba,New Brunswick,I'm "guided" technically, but am mostly left alone to do my own thing.I imagine Ontario is the same.

If I were a Canadian citizen,I'd spend every November in Alberta. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Ontario as far as I know, non-residents can hunt unguided for deer.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Poppycock. I've done it a dozen times and nary a problem.
In fact, the Canadian folks are a hell of a lot more cordial and accommodating than the US side. (when coming back)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Speaking of deer in the South,how is the Atikokan area? I hear of the fishing. How is hunting birds,moose, and deer there?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'm another American who hunts quite a bit in Canada and has never had a problem getting in or out with firearms.

I probably have hunted somewhere in Canada at least a dozen times since the present system started, and the only time the process took more than 15-20 minutes when entering was when a lonely guy at one of the tiny border stations between Montana and Alberta wanted to BS about shotguns after seeing that one of my two guns was an AyA sidelock. Took about 45 minutes to get through that time!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Once again Savage 99 has proven himself to be a complete farking idiot.
Having owned a business in Canada for 6 years, I likely have had the opportunity of crossing the border more than everyone in this thread combined. The Canadian Border Services have been a joy to deal with and I have never had problems crossing, unlike their thug counterparts on the US side.
As for hunting around Dryden. There is still good hunting, but one must really work for it by getting a long away from roads via foot or by boat. Hunting pressure on crown land is ridiculous to the point I stopped hunting the area a few years back.
In parts of Ontario a guide is not needed, but one must look at the hunting unit maps on the MNR's website to find out. In general the area along the MN border and north to Nestor Falls is Non Residents guided only and I think Atikokan would fall in this area

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
BWalker,Just curiosity,how many times have you crossed?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sometimes several times in one day and at the least 3 times per week for 5 months of the year for 6 years.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 71 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,701
Posts18,513,801
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.