-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
well go geterdone, lets hear the results.
Fella never learns anything if you don't have a major screw up once in awhile.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Originally Posted by Ranch13
No as I recall you shot sillouettes at Phoenix,

As you should know, silhouette and creedmoor are not shot on the same ranges in PHX. But be that as it may, while Kenny beat me with his 25 lb Scoped rifle while I used my silhouette legal, iron sights, lets go back to ranges I have shot before.

In 2011, while Kenny used the same scoped, heavy class rifle and I used the same silhouette legal rifle with irons, I beat him by... 63 points and 21 places

Coulda been a fluke. Let's look at 2010, while i had to use a crappy barrel on that same Sharps of mine while he used his scoped super-heavy again. Looks like I shot pretty crappy and hmmm... or darn, I only beat him by just 134 points.

Darn, sure looks like Kenny whips up on my a bunch.

Now, let's talk about YOUR shooting. I haven't seen you place above the fold in any thing. In fact, the quickest way to find your scores is to start at the bottom. Yup. There you are. On the bottom - whenever you dare actually shoot a match.

If Kenny uses half the windage with paper pathes - he is is full of it. Don't be such a clown. The crap you spew isn't fit to pile with your cows' manure. You put out more completely wrong BS than anyone on this board, though maybe Swampy is going to give you a run for your money.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by BrentD
Ed,
Are you looking for a target rifle or a hunting rifle? It matters a lot with respect to chamber.

A target rifle that I can hunt with. grin

My competition days are probably behind me, but I do love to compete against myself and would welcome the opportunity to shoot in BPCR matches, not for the awards, but to learn more, and I would like to hunt with the rifle.

Something along the lines of a Shiloh 1874 Sporter #3 is what I have in mind.

I am open to input!

Ed

Ed, a #3 isn't bad for what you are considering then. I'd keep the chambering down to a .45-70 to make the recoil a bit more manageable with lighter, hunting-weight rifle, and the long drop of the #3 stock. I have used my #3 for silhouette, though it is far better as a hunting rifle. I'd also consider a stock Shiloh chamber.

Don't expect a paper patch bullet to have magical ballistics in comparison to groove bullets. They don't. Not even close. If they did, everyone would shoot paper patches. In fact, if they did as well as Don was idiotically claiming, they would be out shooting .308 Matchkings by a HUGE margin. And they don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well Brent there's a hell of alot you dont know, and trying to judge someone you've never met by the scores posted from a shoot is, ignorant at best.
What you don't know dickhead could fill a 5 gallon bucket, and one of those things you don't know is why my scores usually show up pretty low... Mostly because I use the gong matches for load developement and testing.I may just as well run 6 or 8 different loads in a match most of which never get fired prior to the match starting....
I'm secure enough with myself and who I am I don't need to be at the top of a score sheet to feel good about myself, and I don't need to be a dickhead to others to make myself feel good....
Now I wonder why you never bad mouth Kenny other places the way you do here? You do know he's registered member here dont you?
If you had any experience with grease groove bullets you'ld know there is a ton of difference between the sight setting needed for them and paper patch, but you don't , so the best you can come up with is to make a bunch of bullshit accusations about someone who you have met, and pretty sure bet you don't have guts enough to talk to in person the way you do on the net...

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
.. Mostly because I use the gong matches for load developement and testing.I may just as well run 6 or 8 different loads in a match most of which never get fired prior to the match starting....
I'm secure enough with myself and who I am I don't need to be at the top of a score sheet to feel good about myself,

That's kinda funny Don, because I just did the same thing last weekend at the Long Range Match. Finally got my PJ Money Bullet and wanted to try it, but was too busy to load develop, so I just went with my last powder charge, added another .030 HDPE wad to the mix because this bullet sits out farther and called it good. On a lark, I had a bunch of shells loaded with my Brooks "money" bullet, so I pulled them, added a .030 Fiber wad and called it good, although they were about .010 shorter than what I thought would be optimim. They were going to be my sight in loads.

Sighting in, everything looked real good with the practice loads. After a 2 out of 10 on the 800 and 1000 with my "good" loads, I promptly switched to my practice round and got 8 of 10 on the 900.

I started this match to have fun and learn more about long range shooting, and I have, but I'm still not as secure in myself as you. After two targets I was ready to throw my gun in the creek.

Have fun, too many people treat this game way too seriously.
Brian

Last edited by semtav; 06/05/12.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
So, you judge me on one match in PHX this spring but I can't judge you based on the scores that have been posted over the last several years? Are you special?

You are a creepy person Don, you think you're special, and you think you know a lot about things you don't have a clue. You can't develop a load OR shoot for beans. But mostly, you don't know squat about shooting paper patched bullets or how they actually work. You hand out bad advice - TERRIBLE advise to folks that are about to invest thousands of dollars in rifles that will leave them sorely disappointed.

If you applied the same standards you inflict on everyone else, you would crawl under a rock and cry for the rest of your life.

We shoot grooves and paper patches together all the time. Perhaps you would like to explain to those that I shoot with how their spotting has to be adjusted by 300% when spotting for groove bullets vs. paper patches. Try telling this to Paul's son Pete - you know him. He was spotting for both this weekend, and I don't think he gave the differences in bullets a moment's thought.

Because the difference is trivial at best.

Get over it, you are wrong

AGAIN.

Show up in Raton and I'll talk to you just like this. You are a fraud.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brian looking forward to seeing you at Forsyth. Yessir it can get awfully frustrating at times, but you always have to keep in mind that the final score at a shoot won't get you any more or any less flying jobs. And if and when doing this stuff ceases to not be fun then it's time to quit and go look for something else to do.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brent no I'm not judging you from the looser finish you always have at Phoenix and Raton. I'm judging you by the bullshit personal attacks you take on me and other people on the internet.
I do know Pete, I've watched him shoot since he was about 10 years old, and have always admired his capability as a natural born rifleman.
As to Raton , I do plan to be there for the entire bptr championship in August. If I win great, if I come in last place that's fine too. I do this because I enjoy it. I'm 4 time broken leg, a broken neck still have bone spurs that sometimes lock my neck up, once struck by lightning and a heart attack past the age of being at the top of my game in the shooting world. So you'll just have to learn how to deal with it, because when I go to a shoot it's to shoot at something different under different conditions than what I have here at the house....And I could really care less what a miserable [bleep] you portray yourself to be thinks...

www.historicshooting.com
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You better check with Pete. Or anyone else that spots for both paper and groovers. You are too stupid to figure this out on your own. I have no problem defending myself from your insults and attacks. You are just another loudmouth that hasn't got squat to show for all the verbiage you have spewed. You haven't done anything, you haven't figured anything out on your own, and you have no credibility among folks that actually shoot.

You will be last at Raton. Good to get all your excuses in now. You will be needing them - and more.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Poor Brent he just doesn't get it. 50 year went by and I had never ever heard of the miserable wretch, he can disappear today, and my world goes on without even a bit of a twinge....
He has nothing but a lot of internet bluster to try and disrupt a conversation , guess he just needs the attention...
He may be a little pissed because the other day he pronounced that Badger barrels would never be available for bpcr again, and then someone that knew better posted a link that proofed without doubt , he was wrong....

www.historicshooting.com
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Still handing out even more bad advice. Keep it up, and you will cost others a few more thousands.

Let us know when you actually hit a target.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What the hell are you talking about costing people thousands?

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I broke my neck once, back in '67, and once was enough. Wasn't nearly as much fun as folks said it would be...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AS to the bad advice that makes me grin. Had a phone call from one of those bpcr types that according to you apparently think I don't have any credibility.
The caller asked " did you notice, since you posted that part about people would have better luck running a lighter bullet in the 45-70, and for all the flack they gave you on the forum, Danielson is now blowing about how he did just that and won the Lodi shoot?"

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mike what really creeps me out is once in a while that spur will get to draggin in there and every time I turn my head it sounds like a toyota corolla bouncing along a gravel road..

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Well the Shiloh I'm thinking about is over $2,000 plus all the stuff to go with it and I'll probably have $4,000 easy when all is said and done. Pick the wrong caliber and/or rifle for what one wants to do and it could be real costly.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ranch, My neck seems to find a notch and then I've got to "unlock" it before I can turn my head. It finds that notch most easily when I'm driving on a fairly long trip and my pick-up vibrates just right, helping it find the spot when I'm getting tired. In my neck C-3, 4, % 5 are all fused together and that means my other neck bones are a bit looser although I still have limited range of motion. And this neck problem sometimes gets an added thrill from heavy recoil. That usually shows up as a headache, somewhat instantly.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Ed, I am still several rungs below novice but here goes.

I shot the Postell and Creedmore grease groove bullets in my 45-120, and they did very well with 2 and 3 FG Swiss powder, after my day of knowledge with Sharpsguy [Bill] I have learned that for a hunting bullet the flat nose is the way to go, if your rifle likes it.

Mine does, it's the Jerry Dean 500 gn grease groove FNSP bullet, Sharpsguy and i have managed to cut the velocities back to a more civil 1400+ fps.

Cant wait to try it out on something this fall.

Good luck to you, and when time allows, after you and i finish that steak your more than welcome to come out to the farm and shoot my rifle, and I'll be glad to share the info i have learned about these great and fun rifles.

Gunner

Last edited by gunner500; 06/05/12.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by derby_dude

Well the Shiloh I'm thinking about is over $2,000 plus all the stuff to go with it and I'll probably have $4,000 easy when all is said and done. Pick the wrong caliber and/or rifle for what one wants to do and it could be real costly.

Well best I know to tell you is if you can't afford to play the game , find something else to do.
There's no guarantee's in life and the "wrong caliber and or rifle" is what fuels the used gun market...

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 303mike
Ranch, My neck seems to find a notch and then I've got to "unlock" it before I can turn my head. It finds that notch most easily when I'm driving on a fairly long trip and my pick-up vibrates just right, helping it find the spot when I'm getting tired. In my neck C-3, 4, % 5 are all fused together and that means my other neck bones are a bit looser although I still have limited range of motion. And this neck problem sometimes gets an added thrill from heavy recoil. That usually shows up as a headache, somewhat instantly.

Mike sometimes I can't shoot from the prone position because it just flat hurts to much to bend my head back that far. I do have to watch the recoil pretty close because it doesn't take much to get that mild concussion headache and muscle spasms and then the eyes go flaky..

www.historicshooting.com
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,518
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.