Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Greg,

I think I need to make another road trip to Sierra Vista and hang out in your shop a bit... grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Dan, Check out the slug on the Left,.......

[Linked Image]

An SMK nose, and a big classic greaser cylindrical body. .459 X 560 gr.

STILL haven't decided what to cast these out of,....but should be a LOT of fun to play with,the "Nose slumpers from hell".

What I WANTED was the 600 grainer pictured in the center,....a Leeth "Gordon" with an extra groove added. The 550 Gordon's on the right,......a GREAT bullet, IMHO.

I got the "SMK" one kinda' by mistake,.....figured I'd hang onto it, and someday play with it.

#1 is sure 'nuff pointy, but if launched gently it might work. Maybe. My money would be on #2 or #3. Just sayin'.... laugh

Pure speculation on my part Greg, but I'm guessing if the first one had the nose bobbed just a bit, maybe a 1/8" radius nose, it could run. Lose a little weight but rumor has it that slumping sucks. grin

Now this wouldn't work well for greasers, but a two piece swagged bullet with a more pointed nose, dims for paper patch, that might work. Hammer dies rule! This one's .510" at the base, around .502" on the nose and 800 grains. 150 grains of Swiss 1.5 FG A man's bullet. laugh

Recoil is mild in a 40# rifle.

[Linked Image]

PS: Nice wood under them Hindenbergs.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crowrifle
Inertia plays here and there is a correlation between caliber and the amount of force required to impart angular momentum on the bullet for stability.

I think I now know why those 40 grain Sierra's that were engineered for the Hornet were disappearing midway to the target when fired at 3900 fps from my 22.250.

Hornet bullets have jackets a little thicker than aluminum foil, and yep, 29 brazillion rpm can do that.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

I once fired a paper patched round ball (yep, I was bored!) from a .44 Mag rifle. I had done so previously with acceptable and consistent accuracy up to about 1,400 fps (chronographed). The target distance was 25 yards. On whimsy I thought it might be interesting to see what would happen with "more" powder. I don't recall the powder charge, but the ball crossed the Chrony as 2,400 fps and entirely missed the 2x3' target board at 25 yards. The throat and bore was quite leaded after the fact. Therein lies a an extreme illustration of short bearing surface, fast twist for the projectile, large caliber and a sick mind at work. I would guess if it had been a short lead hollow point it might have whistled along the way. Yee-Haw.....

Interesting smile I tried it with reduced gallery loads, out of a 629 Smith. It seemed to work semi-okay one time. Another time I tried it, the ball stuck halfway out the muzzle, and left half the powder unburned in the barrel. Just for the record, half-burned Bullseye stinks frown

I think I follow the explanations - the long pointy bullets need fast twist to stabilize, and the fast twist creates problems with big soft bullets launched by black powder. Makes Sense smile

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 06/07/12.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ed, now you know why you were equipped with 10 more digits on your feet, 4 limbs, 2 eyes and ears and 2 brains of different size and location and one bung hole. Work it right and you can do differential calculus.

PS: One finger and an open mouth can serve as binary code as well...

laugh

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Ed, now you know why you were equipped with 10 more digits on your feet, 4 limbs, 2 eyes and ears and 2 brains of different size and location and one bung hole. Work it right and you can do differential calculus.

PS: One finger and an open mouth can serve as binary code as well...

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

I could get arrested just counting change to a store clerk! grin

Ed

DITTOS!!!!! laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is slightly off topic, but you guys realize the world runs on ones and zeros, right? Ya just gotta make 'em fall into sequence really, really fast. grin

It's like the economy. You could run the world's entire economy with a single dollar bill if you could move it fast enough.

ONES:

[Linked Image]

ZEROS:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DigitalDan; 06/07/12.

I am..........disturbed.

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
What do the initials RO stand for?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Run out. It's a measure of concentricity of bullet alignment to the axis of the case. This was part of a load work up for a .250 Savage. Some rifles are sensitive to this, some are not. Apparently mine doesn't care much if the bullets are a bit cockeyed.

The measure is made about 1/8" north of the case mouth after seating the bullet, and at that junction indicates the sum of yaw (opposing sides) in thousandths of an inch from centerline. It's a relative value and would be different if done near the bullet tip. "They" say: .000" for match, .001-.002" for small varmints and up to .005" for big game...generally.

Straight wall cases have little issue with this, another reason to go with BPCR. There are a number of strategies in load technique which allow you to zero runout but that's for another thread.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 06/07/12.

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the numbers, Ranch13

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No problem.
Yesterday I was working on some patched loads for the 44. At 600 yds, when I ran out of patched loads and switched over to greasers, they impacted nearly 4ft below, and with the slight left to right breeze nearly 4ft right , of the patched that were shooting dead center....

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 53 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,396
Posts18,488,877
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.