Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
great question.

when trees fall, they often fall upon the ground.

depending upon the State, the tree would be often owned by the property owner. see, it's really that simple. dead, leafless trees might be trted differently by different States.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
depends on whose campaign you donated to.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by northern_dave
What about wild mutant squirrels that live in your tree, they take down your neighbor's 3 pit bulls.

What then??

Those squirrels must have big nuts...............

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by MColeman
If the tree was leaning or dying with limbs falling off and the neighbor had brought it to your attention and asked you to do something about it and you had not and if he can document these conditions then you're stuck for the damages in all probability. If there had been torrential rains for several days and the ground was soaked and then a strong wind blew the tree over you're probably in the clear.

I'm going with this answer.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A friend of mine had a tree that was on his property blow over and knock down the neighbors fence. He said the neighbors insurance covered it.

IC B2

elwood Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You folks are having too much fun with this. It isn't a damaged tree...no issues with rotten limbs, etc. Just a tree that is clearly on my side of the line...15 or 20 feet on my side of the property line. Big, strong wind come along and blows it over. It falls across the property line and damages my neighbors car.

The majority of the group I was discussing this with said that the person that owned the car would be responsible for having it fixed..not the person that owned the tree. They went on to agree that if the tree was leaning or damaged someway and posed a danger and the neighbor had warned me of such...I would be responsible. Proof of warnings necessary.

I would have thought that the person that owned the tree would be responsible but it seems this isn't so....act of God thing I'm guessing is the case.

Elwood

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My wife had a tree limb drop and hit her car while she was driving down the road. The home(tree)owners liability policy covered the car repairs, not us. This was in Pa.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://consumerist.com/2011/08/when-a-tree-falls-who-pays.html

His property, his insurance. Unless he wants to file a suit saying that the tree was sick/dying/neglected and you ignored it.

Sounds like a big wind blew down a healthy tree. If there is a deductible you might offer to split it to be a good neighbor...

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Okay. Before I say something stupid, are we talking about the giant oak tree of yours leaning across the neighbors driveway or a tree that that was riding beside the witch in the Wizard of Oz?

How would you know that about my tree leaning (oak tree specifically)unless you have been to my house spying on me Laughing Pig? wink And the trees were not an issue in the Wizard of Oz..... It was the house that fell on the witch that caused the big stir and sent all of the flying lawyers after Dorothy and her little doggy by the witches sister...... they were flying lawyers weren't they??? whistle

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My big debate about this whole ordeal is, if I have a tree that is on my property and my neighbor has no trees on their property and my tree drops leaves on my neighbors property from a wind storm that comes by,am I responsible for raking my neighbors yard? This is not any different than the tree senario is it not?

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ask Issac, and then just take the oposite of his answer. shocked

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is really pretty easy to decide.

If you have properly maintained the tree, and it was alive and healthy, it is simply an act of God.

If the tree was dead or neglected to a point that contributed to its falling, you're on the hook.

I handle these claims every week or so, and the courts rule this way. Insurance companies also see it the same.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I can tell you what the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) will tell you when a large snag on their property falls during a storm taking two douglas firs with it and crushes a gate and fence on my property. So sorry about the gate and fence and good luck with replacing it. If you want it off of your property you can use your bulldozer to push it back onto the BLM property. If you want to cut up the two doug firs for firewood, you need to pay us a $10 permit.

This was the result of a phone call 4 hours ago. I'll push the whole lot back onto the BLM property and let it rot. It's what BLM is really good at doing - rotting.

elwood Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
http://consumerist.com/2011/08/when-a-tree-falls-who-pays.html

His property, his insurance. Unless he wants to file a suit saying that the tree was sick/dying/neglected and you ignored it.

Sounds like a big wind blew down a healthy tree. If there is a deductible you might offer to split it to be a good neighbor...

Great response...thanks for the link. Honestly, I don't have this problem. Was just asking the question because the issue came up in a discussion. I think the "his property, his insurance" is the key. No real tree blew down so no deductable to split but that does seem like a fair thing to do.

I believe we got to the bottom of this....thanks to all.

Elwood

elwood Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PAMac
My big debate about this whole ordeal is, if I have a tree that is on my property and my neighbor has no trees on their property and my tree drops leaves on my neighbors property from a wind storm that comes by,am I responsible for raking my neighbors yard? This is not any different than the tree senario is it not?

They're his leaves now....he can do with them as he sees fit.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The obvious answer is to not have any neighbors. Works for me.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by PAMac
And possession is 9/10 of the law...... your car your tree on top of car.......

Most trees of catastrophic capability were planted before the living owner of the property was even a dew drop in their parents undergarments. That being said, it is a product of nature with a natural happening that consequentially was a casuality of a natural occurence. Placing your car in the path of a natural occurence (which is unforseeable) is only blameable to nature. If pointing the finger at anyone concerning the OP's question you have to point it at nature or or the creator of........ That is why insurance companies offer comp. coverage.....

Dang, that is a great answer and actually philisophical.

"Placing your (fill in the blank) in the path of a natural occurence (of fill in the blank) is only blameable on nature." Man I can foresee many instances of using that line, if I may? grin

Last edited by stray round; 06/11/12.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by elwood
Lets say that you have a tree that is clearly on your property and the wind blows it down. It falls across the property line and damages your neighbors car. Who is responsible? Is it your problem because it was your tree or is it his because it's an act of God.

I don't have this problem but was discussing it with some friends and there were some different opinions.

What say ye...

Thanks,

Elwood

Elwood I am in the tree business. To answer your question it depends on the laws of that state for one. Second was the tree a known and documented danger? If the tree was a healthy tree and it just went down in the wind in this state it would be on the car owners insurance.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Winnie1300

Don't take my word for it, I make chit up as I go. wink

I do that too. I call it add glibbing. smile

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I'm going with an act of God.

What if the owner's an Atheist ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1minute, 1234, 222Sako, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,082 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,890
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.