Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by shreck
Originally Posted by bea175
you have no idea just the way it is, until you reach our age

What I hate are the unexplained pains. The, "why does this hurt" owies.

+1

Seem to be more of those each year.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
Originally Posted by benchman
525 @174 bodyweight, 56 years old.

That's it?

grin

Twice and some change for what I do during my sets.
Yeah, it's embarrassing... I used to do 700 when I was only 50.....I was fatter though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
525 @174 bodyweight, 56 years old.

That's it?

grin

Twice and some change for what I do during my sets.
Yeah, it's embarrassing... I used to do 700 when I was only 50.....I was fatter though.

Weak stuff......... wink

I couldn't do that at any point in my life.

My friend does what I do, but with ease. I hate working out with him, makes me feel weak. Versus lifting with a skinny kid, a Superman feeling overcomes me. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I am 43 and working out is a pain. I was 270lbs in Feb. I now weigh 218 and work out 4-5 days a week. My goal is 205.

I don't ever want to get back up to that weight!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by the_shootist
You're just a pup, JPro. wink

I know it. grin Even so, I find it's a bit easier to get injured as each year passes. No complaints, just the way it is....

Oh, you have no freaking idea! Just wait.....

Yeah, and when you're older and things break they stay broken. Pull a muscle, tendon, or whatnot, and it just keeps on hurting. I'm a veteran of PT and it hasn't helped that much. You just learn to live with it. 39 isn't my age, it's my vintage.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did a 3D shoot Sunday and the course took 4 hours. Walking up hill, down hill, up hill, down hill. Half way through the course, I wanted to go back to the truck. I'm 42 and walk behind a lawn mower all Summer long. I could be a good 50 pounds lighter and I'd do a lot better. It's hard though.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by tjm10025
One of the best-built guys I know is a 43yr old coach who does all the P90x and Insanity infomercial stuff. I can tell it takes some work, as he is often seen around town with icebags taped over his joints.

He'll be crippled up real good by the time he's 50.

HAH! Running can really tear you up over the long haul. As I have gotten older, it has been necessary to pace things a lot slower. Longer time between sets, and LOADS more recovery time. Had a real drop off at 52, but at 57, I am still beating the young guys a lot in bench press. Actually had my highest contest bench ever last Sept. 525 @174 bodyweight, 56 years old. Some sports demand a change in approach, but you can still be competetive for a long time. ( injuries, though rare for me, take a LOOOONG time to heal)

How much without that gay-assed bench shirt? Also, what is your current 5K time? How much can you overhead press with ZERO hip drive?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Near 66 and brought in 3 cords of wood split between Sunday and today. A few aches, but still good to go.

1Minute
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I follow. I do believe I'm pretty much done with the 4-5rep heavy stuff, as it seems I just wind up hurting something. I have nobody to impress anymore with how much weight I am lifting, as I'm not competing or playing sports. I will leave that stuff to benchman, as it sounds like he does enough for two people anyway. (grin)

Trainer guy has me do 3 sets, heavy or light.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by sactoller
Well, I am 43 and working out is a pain. I was 270lbs in Feb. I now weigh 218 and work out 4-5 days a week. My goal is 205.

I don't ever want to get back up to that weight!

Great job sactoller! I peaked at 270 lbs but that was over a decade ago. I dropped most of that excess but I still am not at what I'd call my ideal.

Your joints and back will thank you. Keep it up.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I know the feeling. Try officially joining a fire dept at 47. I"ve always been called in to help big stuff, but never the small stuff and finally decided I now had time to dedicate.

Seems like just when I get going good on weights or insanity, I go to a fire and have to (have to?) pull or lift or push or carry something, and then its not just a few friggin days to recover. Right now I have a neck issue thats really getting to me, and finally went to the doc. She laughed, says yeah there is a knot there, but lets put on on some meds for a couple of weeks first unless it gets worse. Probably just slower healing than you expect.

Well at least I"m not into weights for big numbers, but sufficient numbers to get better but stay healthy/cardio related.

Good luck!
Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bea175
you have no idea just the way it is, until you reach our age

[bleep]. I don't wanna get old.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Will trade your 33 for 63 in a pair of seconds! I have crap that has fallen off and don't even have time to pick it up. Anybody else? But, I will take the health I have after reading about a lot of what the turd like clan is going through.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've watched a couple of those early mourning workout shows on TV this week.

So far I haven't noticed a difference or any soreness. I think I might be able to safely move up to watching them four times a week.

Don't want to over do it right off the bat.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I did a little home-workout yesterday morning and am feeling the effects today. Over the last year tendonitis kept showing up and causing me to have to stop any weight lifting or strength training. I'm pretty sure it was my failure to recognize that I now must be really warmed up before lifting anything heavy. 33 is not old, but it is a bit different from 23.
HAH.. Wait'll ya get to 63...

I'm pretty stiff from 12 hours yesterday in a tractor cab, towin' a chopper around. Gotta suck it up - have another 12-hour day comin' in about an hour..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
One of the best-built guys I know is a 43yr old coach who does all the P90x and Insanity infomercial stuff. I can tell it takes some work, as he is often seen around town with icebags taped over his joints.

HAH! Running can really tear you up over the long haul. As I have gotten older, it has been necessary to pace things a lot slower. Longer time between sets, and LOADS more recovery time. Had a real drop off at 52, but at 57, I am still beating the young guys a lot in bench press. Actually had my highest contest bench ever last Sept. 525 @174 bodyweight, 56 years old. Some sports demand a change in approach, but you can still be competetive for a long time. ( injuries, though rare for me, take a LOOOONG time to heal)

How much without that gay-assed bench shirt? Also, what is your current 5K time? How much can you overhead press with ZERO hip drive?
Damn - a gear hater. Tell you what, I'll lend you the shirt, load up about 600 or so, and you can mess yourself up real good. Hip problems prevent running, and I always pretty much reeked at distances. Good sprinter though.....Don't overhead press, as my workouts are geared primarily toward benching in a shirt, which is what I compete in, after all. I do about 355 without the shirt, but don't train raw, so the numbers are a bit misleading. Locked out 455 raw off a 2 board last night. By the way - what are YOUR competition numbers? Not some gym punk trampoline bench - a real competition lift. Lotsa good buddies lift in gear, and it is a different lift than raw, to be sure . Pretty sure they don't consider it gay. I suppose you play football without a helmet too. Seems so, anyways....

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
My warm ups are as long as my workouts...lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

All good questions, but even without the bench shirt the dude is obviously strong. I worked out with Bill Kazmaier when I was in college and he owned a gym in Auburn. When I say I worked out with him, that means after he warmed up, I was long maxed and loaded plates for him. Great guy. Can't begin to describe how powerful "The World's Strongest Man" really is.

No bench shirt, no arch, and was repping 585. For a visual, that is six 45 pound weights on each side plus the bar for 4 and 5 reps.

Got good advice on many levels from Kaz, including "there is no need for you to ever do single max reps if you are not a competitive powerlifter. I do this for a living, while everyone else in the gym does it for ego. Save your joints."

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
What does the shirt do?

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

How much without that gay-assed bench shirt? Also, what is your current 5K time? How much can you overhead press with ZERO hip drive? [/quote]Damn - a gear hater. Tell you what, I'll lend you the shirt, load up about 600 or so, and you can mess yourself up real good. I suppose you play football without a helmet too. Seems so, anyways.... [/quote]

Oh, I'm pretty sure it would kill me, literally, just like the guy (about one a month) who gets killed benching, most of whom are wearing that stupid shirt. So, benching WITH the shirt is analagous to riding sans helmet.

I'm a tad out of shape currently and my Crossfit Total is only about 725 ( 325 deadlift, 275 back squat, 135 shoulder press) BW 168/5'8". 5K time is a little under 25min. Hardly impressive numbers by Crossfit standards but that puts me in the top few % of 52yo's. Lay off the bench dude ( you likely have the posture of an ape), and loose the shirt, it's a parlor trick.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (1beaver_shooter, 300_savage, 14idaho, 16penny, 308xray, 28 invisible), 1,504 guests, and 1,089 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,646
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.