-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It really isn't all too difficult to stop copper slugs if you start using them on bigger game. Heck, even a rather puny sub-200 pound caribou is capable:

[Linked Image]

This 120 7mm TSX didn't expand a whole lot in the process either. (I've killed quite a few caribou with the older 140 XFB with no bullet recoveries and much quicker killing effect than what this faster slug managed.) Bigger game are great receptacles for bullet recovery IME, even the copper slugs. No sense is using less than the 210 since it shoots well and has the cavity advantage of the TTSX.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
[Linked Image]

The RN Core-lokts are still fine controlled expansion bullets; it's the well formed heavy, tapered jacket that seem to do the work on these.

Nice, what'd it come out of?

My Dad and G-dad used the 180 RNCL out of their 06's quite a bit.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is just me, but one of the biggest things I've learned over 3+ decades of hunting and killing elk is that I like to have 2 holes in the critter. If all goes right, many loads, guns etc will do just fine. When I'm going for serious I like to ensure that I've a load that will give me 2 holes.

The 185 TSX will do just fine most all the time, but I've seen it stopped in an elk and would prefer a bit more bullet. Until people have hunted elk and seen a lot of dead elk they just don't get what I'm talking about.

Pigs and African plains game for the most part is a very different proposition than hunting elk. Especially if the elk are on public ground.

Just a thunk

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

The 185 TSX will do just fine most all the time, but I've seen it stopped in an elk and would prefer a bit more bullet. Until people have hunted elk and seen a lot of dead elk they just don't get what I'm talking about.

Pigs and African plains game for the most part is a very different proposition than hunting elk. Especially if the elk are on public ground.

Just a thunk

Dober

The hardest part seems to be that people don't understand that there truly is something to 'get'.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mark,

As Klik noted, the round-nose Core-Lokts haven't changed, as they still have the same very thick jacket along the shank, and still work very well.

But the Pointed Soft-Point Core-Lokts has their jackets thinned considerably maybe 20 years ago, and are now just basic cup-and-cores, unlike the older PSP's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Klik: Right. No way a little 200 lb pig is going to stop any bullet. Maybe a 22 LR , but even a 30 carbine with soft points will shoot right through one. I tried to make the point that the paunch on a Moose or Elk, IF FULL of wet grass and twigs, will stop almost any slug. If a 30/06 with any bullet, is shot into a swimming pool, real one not a plastic one, the water will stop the bullet within a foot. You need the extra weight in even the Ttsx to keep on trucking.

Someone mentioned Jack O'Conner and his observations, but he didn't start hunting Elk, etc till the 50s, and his observations on the 180gr 30 cal bullet was on a perfect side shot. A lot different than a raking shot. By the 50s some decent bullets were coming along, but in the 40s, they were just getting into business. Actually, in the 40s and even into the 50s, it was hard to get bullets to reload with. Today, one company, say Hornady, makes more diffrent bullets by itself, than all the companies in existance made in the 50s.

Someone mentioned a picture above and the Ttsx bullet hadn't expanded much. But that's all they're made to expand. I'd like to see them go back further, say half way, but they don't. They are impressive when they are made to. Have seen a 458 one that did, and very impressive. But the Tsx/Ttsx bullets can only expand back to the end of the hole drilled in them. Then become a solid.

Ghost
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've shot elk with a 405gr projectile and had no exit and was underwelmed so big and heavy don't always win the race

I trust this members experience and judgement fully
Originally Posted by JJHACK
The TSX is the best option, especially for exits, from that point you start to determine which you can drive the fastest and remain stable. My suggestion would be the 185TSX

The Priority should be speed with the TSX, they faster they go the better they work. I have not yet seen where you can have them arrive with too much velocity. Unlike lead core bullets which can disintegrate, the TSX even losing petals is going to blow right through.

Exits and visible blood cannot be understated. Nobody should spend a day looking for game when they can be hunting. Herd animals stampede out after a shot like an explosion. They leave a mushroom cloud of dust to settle behind them. Sorting out the tracks without blood is a bugger. The advantage of making two holes to find the game quickly is critical many times.

Originally Posted by JJHACK
The two bullets I have seen used most are the 210 and 250 partition.

The 185TSX is a distant third for frequency of use. However the performance seen with this much lighter faster bullet was significant. The only bullet recovered from my memory was a single bullet with only one full petal and a part of a second. The internal damage from all game killed and the exits were impressive.

The Noslers also do a fine job, but having seen both I would choose the TSX if they shoot well in your gun. Several of the hunters could not get the TSX to shoot well with the handloads they tried and stuck with Partitions for that reason. There is nothing wrong and you're not short handed with the partitions, I especially like the 210. But after seeing the results with the 185.......... well it was decisive and lots of blood compared to single entry holes. Partitions did not exit as often and that is the key advantage IMO.

I don't care if they lose the petals half way through the animal. They drive straight through and exit. The loss of petals inside is no different then the Partition losing the front half.

The advantage is that the "wad cutter" TSX that exits is better then the mushroomed partition that does not exit. Two holes have so many advantages in finding the game after the shot.

I use a 30/06 with 165gr TSX for all my personal Plains game hunting and it's the loaner for many of my hunters. It's had a long history of success with to my recollection only a single lost wildebeest in almost two decades of use and easily 1000 animals.

The same cartridge with a far greater diameter, and 20 more grains of weight is simply as good as it gets for plains game hunting in a nice light low recoil rifle. As I said earlier, the 338 Sabi Sabi made in RSA is a near identical cartridge built for good reason there. The TSX and modern powders has allowed the simple 30/06 to equal the 300 win mag when it uses cup and core bullets.

The 165TSX from a 30/06 will out penetrate the 180 cup and core from the 300win mag. This same situation can be closely compared with the TSX in a 338/06 VS the cup and core from the 338 win mag. However it's actually better then that. The 338 TSX bullets are all designed for the cartridge and capacity of the 338 win mag. Shooting them from the slower 338/06 means you can drive them as fast as you can and still be at or below the maximum design threshold of the bullet.

The flawless performance of the 30/06 with a bigger bullet......... how is that not the perfect choice?

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
DVD: I'm not a big and slow person either. Used the 45/70 and old 405 Silver tips on game in Africa and didn't do well. Another guy a few years back used it with CoreBon ammo, which was hotter and better bullets, and it worked well. I personally want a bullet to be moving in excess of 2800 fps if possible. Read a good article on impact velocity and it's effect on game (5000 animals shot), and the general concensus was that a bullet going that velocity, did a lot more damage. In fact the finding was a bullet at 2700-2800 fps, created a blood back flow through arteries and veins, that cause the animals brain to look like it had a stroke.

But, we're also talking ability to penetrate on a raking shot (left hip to right shoulder on a big elk, fi:) that's a lot of penetration. I shot a Warthog the size of your pig, in RSA last year, and used the Nosler ballistic tip, in 150gr from a 308, and did a side to side shoot through, so not hard on a hog.

Ghost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The older XFBs I have recovered tended to open better. Petal loss while crushing big bone never seemed to be much of an issue, but back in those days, people whined about every detail since they often had trouble getting MOA groups from them - as if that is needed for most big game hunting!

Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I've shot elk with a 405gr projectile and had no exit and was underwelmed so big and heavy don't always win the race

Using that anecdote to suggest that a 185 would somehow be better than a 210 or other heavier slugs is a rather groundless argument even if that 405 was not a Remington bullet fired from a 45-70 or similar. Whether is was or not, however, imagine what that 405 would have done to the little piggy - and it didn't exit the elk? That should tell you something right there, though, not so much about bullets, but about the difference between smaller game and bigger stuff. Monos like speed, but a 210 out of a 338, especially with that tip, is going to have plenty at any reasonable distance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is just me, but one of the biggest things I've learned over 3+ decades of hunting and killing elk is that I like to have 2 holes in the critter. If all goes right, many loads, guns etc will do just fine. When I'm going for serious I like to ensure that I've a load that will give me 2 holes.

Just a thunk

Dober

Dober? Mister .220 Swift and 6-06 on all things that crawl, walk, or slither- is that you??? grin

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Mark,

As Klik noted, the round-nose Core-Lokts haven't changed, as they still have the same very thick jacket along the shank, and still work very well.

But the Pointed Soft-Point Core-Lokts has their jackets thinned considerably maybe 20 years ago, and are now just basic cup-and-cores, unlike the older PSP's.

Aha! That's what I was thinking of. Thanks for the clarification, John.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Has anybody asked how far the OP would consider shooting at an elk?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Just a thunk

Dober

Dober? Mister .220 Swift and 6-06 on all things that crawl, walk, or slither- is that you??? grin

Jordo you're slipping my man, you forgot fly........... shocked

Dober

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
grin

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
late to the game here but I'm partial to 225 Barnes... I've killed with them from up close IE under 50 yards, out to just over 800. And same round has been shot THROUGH trees, then THROUGH a B/C black bear and through another tree.

Started with 225X and am at both 225 tsx and ttsx and have never had any issues.

Shot 210s for a couple of boxes and could tell no difference at all and went back to the 225 for a bit more buffer.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see a 185x as perfect for a 338 Federal, a 210 PT covers the 210 IMHO (but I think a 185-200 is ideal for the Federal, whereas I like 225-230 in larger rounds), so I'd jump right over the 210 in a Barnes and use the 225 in any round w/06 capacity.

As I said before, a 210 IS proven, I just like the 185-200 for trajectory and perhaps they expand better at Federal speeds at typical ranges...whereas the '06 and larger - the 225s are only 1-2" down in drop over the 210s (200 zero/400 POI), yet more BC/SD to work with...I just see no downside and little diff in recoil. 250s and up are another matter. For that weight, I like a 286/9.3 which is what I would run if wanting more bullet. Granted, I don't hunt alot of Long range...

Ghost- that 243/TSX combo will serve you well. Report back after some kills wink

Enjoy seeing bullet tests and debates. I sometimes wonder if this point is figured into performance:

A deeper penetrating bullet w/less frontal area indeed has a narrower wound channel, but is the TOTAL Volume of destruction throughout the bullet's path considered?

Likewise, a shallower penetrating bullet, due to greater expansion produces a wider channel.

Point being, are the two wound channels That different in total damage inside an animal?

I do believe application matters. What works great on a broadside whitetail i.e. an 85 BTHP Sierra from a 243 broadside, creating a wide channel, great shock for caliber, and not requiring alot of penetration qualities if placed BEHIND the shoulder.....is not likely what's needed on say elk. The TSX would do a much better job day in/out in the same round.

Just saying, it's not all apples to apples b/c doing penetration tests on inanimate object although very informative and having relevance, is not IMHO the end all in bullet tests.

So, although some bullets give shallow penetration but wider channels and others the opposite, application matters.

Klik - can you say what was the MV on that 120 Barnes on the 'bou and how far was the shot and the placement? It looks to be in the low 2K range at impact, my guessing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Keep in mind I am big on the idea of two holes on an elk so for me I just don't see the 185 TSX as the bullet to you on elk out of a 338 Federale and or any of the other 338 rounds.

Short story, bud hit a nice 330 bull with 3 rounds at about 330 yds. Took a while but the bull went down. That's a lot of 3's isn't it...grin

Non of the 3 bullets exited. 338 Federale with 185's.

Now obviously he had a dead bull though. Personally, I feel that a large part of the drive to lighter bullets has to do with people trying to get more speed out of short action rounds.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 06/19/12.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 65BR

Klik - can you say what was the MV on that 120 Barnes on the 'bou and how far was the shot and the placement? It looks to be in the low 2K range at impact, my guessing.

That was a 200-ish shot angled from the rear. It punched lungs and lodged in shoulder area without much bone damage. Animal was obviously hit but didn't fall or die immediately. Load was fueled by upper charge of RL 15. TSXs I have recovered remind me, expansion-wise, of XBTs, a design inferior, IMO, to the somewhat shorter radiuses XFBs of yore. Expansion in a bullet which has tentacles instead of a flat/round face is a good thing IMO. I haven't used the TTSX enough to have an informed opinion yet, but I hope it answers that.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
210 TTSX.

Gunner

What Gunner said. You won't need to look any further if they shoot accurately from your rifle.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keep in mind I am big on the idea of two holes on an elk so for me I just don't see the 185 TSX as the bullet to you on elk out of a 338 Federale and or any of the other 338 rounds.

Short story, bud hit a nice 330 bull with 3 rounds at about 330 yds. Took a while but the bull went down. That's a lot of 3's isn't it...grin

Non of the 3 bullets exited. 338 Federale with 185's.

Now obviously he had a dead bull though. Personally, I feel that a large part of the drive to lighter bullets has to do with people trying to get more speed out of short action rounds.

Dober

Mark,

I have read your posts with great interest for a long time. Never have you made me more proud of you than with this post. You are "Da Man!"

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

372 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 32 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,100
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.