Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Encores, like any other rifle are not without their issues. I have owned 6 frames and dozens of barrels. Some of my barrels being completely custom were quite expensive.

As a reloader you will not have to deal with o.a.l. problems as you would with box magazines.

I have moved into a phase of appreciating lightweight (under 7.5 pounds) packages and none of my Encore setups come anywhere close to lightweight. They ARE quite functional. One of the benefits is the length of the rifle being considerably shorter than a normal bolt gun.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by John_Boy
Opinions on TC Encores.....What do you think of them? I know they're not quite a No. 1, or even a Highwall....but they do have versatility. Don't hold back.....tell me what you really think....

The Ruger Number 1 looks better and the Encore shoots and groups better .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Buy a New England more accract an less money same foe CVA an H&R

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a nice used Encore this weekend. It's a .375H&H with a huge Simmons scope. By the time I unload the barrel and the scope I won't have much in the walnut stock set and frame. It was a cheap way to go.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you are on a budget and want more than one cal , then the Encore is the way to go much better the CVA and H&R junk

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by savage62

sick

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
i bought the 50 cal encore used, going to sell the barrel and replace in a varmint/deer cartridge...either .243 or .257 roberts.

going through a period of tight money and have sold off a lot of guns and need one i can do more with...in this case a $200 used barrel goes a long way.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm up to a .222; .243; .270 and a 30-06 barrel. I do like the versatility. While it's true it's not a Ruger, the same amount of calibers in a Ruger would be around $2800. In the Encore I'm out only $1150. Not bad for a rifle that's a little average on looks. I'm still a big fan of the Rugers and Mausers though. The H&R and New England guns???? C'mon get real, that's going way to frugal. A man's got to have a little pride in ownership. Ballard, High Wall, Martini just to name a few....

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by savage62

[Linked Image]

Seriously?!? Someone comes here asking legitimate question about Encores, and this is your contribution. [Linked Image]

I don't have anything against NEF rifles and have owned at least a couple over the years, but they aren't even in the same league as an Encore. They shoot fairly well but are seriously lacking in fit and finish.

Last edited by retrieverman; 06/19/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
had a encore in 270 last year,wouldn't shoot tight enough groups for me.just traded for a pro hunter 50cal last week. friend offered a good price for it and i let it go with out ever firing it. i also have a encore in 280rem for sale in the classifieds right now.belongs to a friend,he says it shoots good. check it out if you need one

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by srwshooter
had a encore in 270 last year,wouldn't shoot tight enough groups for me.

What kind of groups did you get and at what ranges? What ammo? Did you try more than one brand or bullet weight? [Linked Image]

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
[Linked Image] My Encore in 270 Winchester does OK.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Now I'm glad I got my Encore. Thanks for all the input guys, both pos. & neg. One action and four barrels is a good thing. All I need now is the .223 with a 1:7 wtist and the 22-250 with a 1:8 twist and a .........well you know the disease...

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Tried 4 different Encores and I will never own another! Some were high-end customs that were supposed to shoot-they didn't! Common issues was moving point of impact between trips using the same ammo.

To say it is either hit or miss in getting a good one is a major understatement.

Give me an accurate bolt any day of the week. I'd MUCH rather have a Savage, Ruger, Remington, Tikka, Winchester, Weatherby, Howa, CZ....get the picture?

Last edited by Dixie_Rebel; 06/19/12.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will fall short of calling them junk. My family has owned 3 of them. They are accurate as all get out. VERY impressed with the groups you can attain. There's no question or complaint there. My wife has one in 7mm-08. She had a great deal of trouble openint the gun. The trigger guard was just too stiff. She had to use both hands to open it. She also had difficulty getting her thumb under the low mounted Leupold scope. BUT the big problem was misfires. Time after time it would misfire. MORE than 50% of the time. I had a friend suggest getting the pro-hunter conversion done. If you can believe it, that made matters WORSE, + the folks at Fox Ridge Outfitters treated my wife like an idiot. I called them back and ripped them a new rear end. I took a day off from work and brought the gun back. It took them over two hours before they gave me the gun back. When my wife brought it to them they were done in less than 15 minutes. When they brought ME the gun back, they said they couldn't find any problem. BUT we never had any trouble again. A lighter spring on the extractor fixed the problem with opening. Now my son's in .260 Rem is mis-firing. I took the gun apart and looked at both the firing pin and the round block that retains the firing pin. The hole through the block was not square to the face of the block and the one screw that holds the block to the frame backed out just enouch to let the block cock/tip and was binding up on the firing pin. Since S&W bought T/C their customer service has gon downhill. JMO>

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
i have owned 2 tc contender rifles and a few encores- lost track- lol

anyway, with the exception of one .223 barrel which was HORRIBLE, all of them shot 1/2 moa on a regular basis.

tc knows how to make barrels apparently.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Im on my first one. Started as a 308. I sold that barrel and put a 358 barrel on it. Mine is as compact as it can legally be almost. 16" barrel and about 30" overall. Entire rifle is the length of the stock of the abolt i traded for it. With my handloads i can shoot right at 1" groups at 100. And being 358 win, it is legal for MS primitive weapon season. I want to build a pistol next...

"An armed society is a polite society."

Joe S.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

432 members (16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 47 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,315
Posts18,526,361
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.