Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
The recent comparison of the 35 Whelen vs 9.3x62 crossed over into the comparison of the 375 H&H. This got me to thinking of another comparison of the DG double rifle cartridge the Flanged 375. The 9.3x74r stirs the pot of discussion if it is qualified to be used on DG. The 375 Fl is accepted with little fuss as it gets the knowing nod of approval.
The real world difference between the two is basically a wash.
Neither are the H&H that is the most famous but they don't have to be.
Which is my point of all this
Do we give the 9.3 caliber fair treatment?

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The 9.3's as good as they are will probably never encroach on the vaunted status of the 375's both H&H and Flanged.

I am slobbering like a drunk to get a hold of a 375 Flanged double, German, Austrian, or British will do. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
On this board the 9.3 is revered to the point of cult status. I never much cared for either the 62 or the 74, mainly because there are calibers out there more specifically the375 H&H that can do it better, albeit impercetibly so. I think the real difference is in availability and there the 9.3X74 has it all over the 375 Flanged. So the question is how do the two calibers compare in terms of velocity and sectional density? For me if I were to build a double in a light caliber, for a variety of reasons not the least of which is nostalgia, it would be the 375 Flanged. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
That's my problem is I compared the two. I like the belted H&H and have used it more in DG than I ever intended to. Due to issues with my neck and shoulders I can't do the heaviest kickers anymore and got rid of my 470 out of concern. While researching other double choices I got down to the 450-400 and the 375 Fl. Then I started comparing the 375Fl and 9.3x74 and truthfully they are not that a great of a gap between the two. Neither are at the belted H&H level but again are close on paper. In the end the Fl gives me little advantage over the 74 I have

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I fell in love with double rifles with a nice little Chapuis 9.3x74. It is a nice cartridge but if i were to go double gunning again, and I might, i would jump at another Chapuis (or Searcy) but would love it in the 375 FL. In fact there is a Searcy in the Dundee, Mich. cabelas, in the 375 --even left handed, but at ~ 16 k ( ouch). Ive taken some game withe the 9.3 but it won't quite run with the 375. But that's not damning with faint praise either. On the other hand, both of these would arguably prove more flexible in the Americas than the 450/400 3" or 3.5" NE, which is kind of the next step up.

Theoretically, the Blaser S2s barrels are not soldered and could be regulated for a warmer load in the 375 Fl equaling the H & H but I do not care for it at all as a DG gun because of some of its features including a barrel shroud over extractors only.

Actually, for the hunting I do, a proper bolt gun is far more practical but not even half as much fun to look at.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 06/11/12.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
On this board the 9.3 is revered to the point of cult status. I never much cared for either the 62 or the 74, mainly because there are calibers out there more specifically the375 H&H that can do it better, albeit impercetibly so. I think the real difference is in availability and there the 9.3X74 has it all over the 375 Flanged. So the question is how do the two calibers compare in terms of velocity and sectional density? For me if I were to build a double in a light caliber, for a variety of reasons not the least of which is nostalgia, it would be the 375 Flanged. jorge

You would love the 9.3 if Weatherby had made one! wink
A .375 flanged could be built on a very slim frame. With 24" barrels it would be as snappy to use as 28 gauge SxS in a quail field. It could be a magic wand.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

The 375 H&H Flanged is a good caliber for light double, but take it as you want, not a lot of manufacturers produce it on a light receiver.
The 9,3x74R is also excellent one, the famous hunter and poacher Taylor, who was never kind with continental calibers, considerd it (even if he never used one) a good and potent cartidge.

Today if you compare Norma factory loading the 375H&H Flanged is given for 730m/s with 300grs bullet. The 9x3x73R from same company is 710m/s for 285grs. Not enough difference in real world.

But the 9,3x74R can get an advantage. It's commonly available in light double rifle (s&s) with adjustable convergenge. For an handloader it's easy to get 15 to 20m/s more without endangered your rifle (9,3x74R don't develop too much pressure) and you can easply (more or less) adjust your regulation. Merkel 141 is one of this doubles. It is based on 28 gauge caliber but renforced. And imagine the same receiver in it's express drilling form, 2x9,7x74R above and one 20/76 gauge shotgun tube below. All around tool for 90% of game on Earth.

Prices, even high, are less than best 375 H&H Flanged doubles. Cases are easier to get and much lower price. Good bullet are available too including fmj or solid.
Bullet can go to 325grs for a velocity of 680 to 700m/s with new powders. Enough for game up to buffalo.

If you like old caliber with good reputation you surely know the 360n�2. The 9,3x74R is very very close to it.
It could be a deadly Alaskan close range big game combo ammo/rifle.
The only thing against it: does'nt have the "aura" and african smell of the old english one.

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Verney-Carron boys are building the 375 Flanged in a lovely, trim action. I handled one at DSC this year and it was all I could do not to write a check! It was either the rifle or a safari. I chose the latter! smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The Verney-Carron boys are building the 375 Flanged in a lovely, trim action. I handled one at DSC this year and it was all I could do not to write a check! It was either the rifle or a safari. I chose the latter! smile

Hey Jorge, did ya also know the V/C boys are making top lever hammer doubles with stalking safeties to? cry

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just happen to have their current catalog and their US Rep, KEBCO and I talk quite frequently smile Incidentally, just finished watching a GREAT double rifle movie, Harry Black And The Tiger with Stewart Granger about Tiger hunting in India. Lots of doubles with a few references thrown in for the 375!

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, I saw their new Hammer Doubles and went to complete hell, there gorgeous cry

Gunner

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Just what i told you: not the same price, time to delivery, adjustable barrel and so on. I know a bit Verney-Carron and their custom shop...And to .500cal barrels come from Suhl.
Nothing wrong with them for sure!

Was speaking of business rifle, simple, effective, with good ratio price/quality. Easier to get a good 9,3x74R and save money for hunting. Performance are not so far between the two cartridges.

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Just happen to have their current catalog and their US Rep, KEBCO and I talk quite frequently smile Incidentally, just finished watching a GREAT double rifle movie, Harry Black And The Tiger with Stewart Granger about Tiger hunting in India. Lots of doubles with a few references thrown in for the 375!

If Stewart Granger was still alive he would be the perfect ad pitch man for a double rifle manufacturer. You could run the ad in B&W and who could refuse

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

I am kinda glad I was too busy working and didn't get to DSC this year. I might have made the wrong choice on a double rifle smile
I still might if I handle one like this smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Right on both counts! Man they make some great rifles and VERY strong actions.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Right on both counts! Man they make some great rifles and VERY strong actions.

My 577 V/C will shoot me loose, long before I do it. laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Writing frog, which 9.3x74 doubles are adjustable for convergence? The only double rifle I've read of having that adjustment is Blaser's S2. Thanks, and best to you.

edited to say: ok, I see you mentioned the Merkel 141; any others?

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 06/13/12.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

In S&S the Merkel 141 and 161 (28 gauge receiver) are followed this year by the 140 and 160 (20gauge receiver). Lots of modern O&U like Merkel B3, new Zoli Focus are also available with this system.

Was made to save time spent regulating doubles to save money first, then it help customer or gunsmith adapt double to different loads.

Dom

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

I forgot some Verney Carron over under in 30R, 8x57IRS or 9,3x74R

Dom

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have been on the road for a few days.

I have never even fired a .375 Flanged, but see no real reason to get one when so many newer doubles are chambered for the .375 H&H and work well with the belted round.

My own 9.3x74R is a pre-WWII Thieme-Schlegelmilch side-by-side that weighs an ounce over 8 pounds and handles like a nice shotgun. It regulates perfectly with any 270-286 grain bullet and 65.0 grains of H4350, and also shoots 293-grain RWS ammo perfectly as well. Velocitu with the handloads is around 2400 fps, so don't really see any need for a .375 Flanged.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

440 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 163bc, 45 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,627
Posts18,474,193
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.