-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GSI Minimalist rig and a cat alcohol stove. Took a GSI insulated cup and cut about 1" off the top so it would fit inside the pot. Whole deal weighs 13.8oz. as pictured with 4oz of fuel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
I like the esbit for heating up a mid-day cup of water for coffee or instant soup, very compact and light.

Yep, it works great but it does have a powerful odor. I would use an alcohol stove near the open door of a shelter but probably not Esbit. A couple of esbit tabs oughta be in everyones' fire kit though, weighs about nothing and it'll get a fire going like nothing else.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 16bore
GSI Minimalist rig and a cat alcohol stove. Took a GSI insulated cup and cut about 1" off the top so it would fit inside the pot. Whole deal weighs 13.8oz. as pictured with 4oz of fuel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's pretty slick but I don't see a windscreen.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
I like the esbit for heating up a mid-day cup of water for coffee or instant soup, very compact and light.

Yep, it works great but it does have a powerful odor. I would use an alcohol stove near the open door of a shelter but probably not Esbit. A couple of esbit tabs oughta be in everyones' fire kit though, weighs about nothing and it'll get a fire going like nothing else.

Near the open door of a shelter? What would you be doing in a shelter at mid-day?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Soto. Great UL stove.

Retired and loving it.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Near the open door of a shelter? What would you be doing in a shelter at mid-day?

I just figured I just warn those who hadn't tried the stuff. It do stink.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
This is what I use if all I'm gonna do is boil water for a hot drink (my favorite is the Starbucks Via).
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...acking-Stoves/prod999901360451/cat101722

[Linked Image]

If I plan on a hot lunch I will carry a Snowpeak Giga stove and a Snowpeak Ti pot/cup combo.

[Linked Image]

The stove and one fuel cannister fit in the main pot and makes for a compact little set up.

Last edited by PastorDan; 06/18/12.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by llama2
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Esbit stove with either heat tabs.....

heat tabs?? what are "heat tabs"?

Army Surplus Trioxane. Esbit beats it on all counts except price. Be advised that if the foil wrapper on trioxane bars has a pinhole the stuff may be hard to ignite.

Thanks for the info.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Yeah, I know, I'm just fulfilling your expectations as a contrarian.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by llama2
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Esbit stove with either heat tabs.....

heat tabs?? what are "heat tabs"?
pinch of c4 works too.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Yeah, I know, I'm just fulfilling your expectations as a contrarian.

Thank you sir.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out the Bud light stoves on Youtube. It's made from a single soda can and uses HEET or Alco, I have made several in the last few days, very simple and light, about .8oz. Also 2oz will burn about 12mins and boil 2cups in 5mins. Adam

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 338WIN
Pocket Rocket and small canister for me.

"LIKE"

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
MSR Windpro

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Turn your cellphone's GPS on & Dominos will find you. Don't forget to order the two for one deal.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm leaning toward a gas stove mainly because I can turn it off when I'm done rather than having to wait for a fuel tab to burn down.

About how long does the typical small gas burner take to cool down, before it can be packed up? Does any one material or design cool faster?

Am I wrong in considering this an advantage to gas stoves? With alcohol or fuel tab stoves about how long does the usual fuel amount burn? Say an amount sufficient to boil 1-2 cups of water.

Last edited by Oregon45; 06/18/12.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
This always seemed like a good option to me but have never tried it. I have read many great reviews on it and fuel should be very easy to come by.

http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/...%20Titanium%20Hexagon%20Wood%20Stove.htm

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
With the Trangia burner you just drop the simmer ring fully closed onto it and that puts the flame out, then after it cools off, which takes about 10 to 15 minutes you just put the screw cap back on (which has a rubber O ring to keep the alchohol from leaking) and you are ready to move.

Takes roughly the same amount of time for a gas burner to cool as well.

Burn time on a alcy burner varies by how much you put into it, you can get a flask that has a premeasure part and time how long it will burn in your particular stove.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
PastorDan, I have that Vargo you linked, it is indeed very nice and my Trangia burner works in it very well.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I'm leaning toward a gas stove mainly because I can turn it off when I'm done rather than having to wait for a fuel tab to burn down.....

Am I wrong in considering this an advantage to gas stoves? With alcohol or fuel tab stoves about how long does the usual fuel amount burn? Say an amount sufficient to boil 1-2 cups of water.

With the esbit, half a tab is about right to boil a large cup of water. I've never had an issue with waiting for it to cool down, by the time I drink the coffee it's always been ready to put away, but I never timed it.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

481 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 45 invisible), 2,228 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,747
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.