Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nice, peaceful looking pics there, ihookem. When I was a kid, my father and I used to go and camp like that a lot.

That 'gill would make excellent Flathead bait.

My daughter was supposed to go with me last night, but backed out due to being tired. School and work will do that. So I went forth on my own, and it seems the James is coming back to life, at least as far as Catfish are concerned. Ended up boating a 31 lb., a 40 lb., and 48 lb., all Bluecats. I didn't get any pictures of me holding the fish, since I was alone.

GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
It must be nice to be so close to catn river like that. I go 184 mi. to the missy and 70 mi. to the Wisconsin river. Sure got some nice pics of your trips Viv_in_Va.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It will spoil ya. If it weren't for some Oak trees and an old Civil war cemetery, I could see the boat landing. Less than 5 minutes, and I'm on my way.

A couple from last night:

Beautiful view of the river....Lotta guys I know refuse to go out at night, much less by themselves...missing some good fishin':
[Linked Image]

Flash?, we don't need no stinkin' flash...the red headlight is just fine.

[Linked Image]

I wish I had some way to give an idea of the size, things just don't scale right in a picture. That hoop for the net is 24" wide, 36" long.

[Linked Image]

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looks like you guys are having fun.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Geez, I broke a hook and bent another a few weeks ago, bought some 'PROPER' catfish hooks and solved that...

Then this evening, hooked into something big, not sure what, possibly an alligator gar but it was not on long and my line Snapped.

I am going to likely go to braid b/c there are alot of large rocks in the spot I am fishing on the local river.

Any suggestions? Need some that will work on a bass baitcast reel, these are lighter rod/reels I use at times.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've not used braid, but a lot of guys that I know that do use Power Pro. Just use a mono leader, about 18 or so inches long.

I set my drag at 5 to 5.25 lbs, so when they hit hard, they can run instead of breaking things. They also like to make a run when they see the boat. I've had to reel the big ones in as much as three times!!

Get that big net ready!!

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Interesting, I need to lighten my drag, might offset me trying to get to tough too soon on these big ones, thanks for that advice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was trolling for walleye, in 40-50 feet of water with 4-5 inch baits, when one of the poles doubled over. It put up a hell of a fight, seemed to run a little more than a walleye should, but stayed down like a walleye does. Needless to say I was confused, It got close to the boat once, and we saw the shape of it, it wasn't a musky ( which was my guess, up to that point.).After about 20 minutes, finally got it in, turns out it had whiskers.

[Linked Image]

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

"Turdlike".... in record time

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That looks like a nice 'un. They can put up a spirited fight. My experience is that the ones in the 20s do the most headshaking, and may swim hard at the boat, stuff like that. The bigger ones just want to play tractor-pull.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Very nice, should be some good eating too!

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
When I lived on the Rock River, I fished with an old salt down the road who showed me how he had been catching big cats there and on the Mississippi River. We caught a lot of them, only keeping smaller ones that were good eating.

Fresh water clams off the nearest rock bar, placed in a Ball mason jar, cap and seal screwed down tight. In colder weather, he actually ripened those disgusting things on his furnace. Otherwise, out in the sun until the lid buckled. It was the most disgusting smelling crap I've ever used for fishing, but I also didn't know true non-stop catfishin' until I met Gordy. He used big bamboo or cane polls, circle hooks, and an old Zebco 404 with some kind of 50 lb test salt-water braid. I never saw him lose a fish once he set the hook. He passed last month at age 88.
Jim

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sorry for the loss, looks like he left a legacy wink

Cats like Clams too eh? smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I visit St. Louis a couple of times a year. Is there any fishing for big cats around there? I would love to give them a try.

Ted

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Vic, things had been slow till this a.m. Caught a small flathead, landed, and later had a nice sized Flat up to the bank and broke my line right there about 1" up from the hook. Should have had a leader on, the last 2-3ft of line was worn from rocks after he fought.

An hour later, also on a live bream about lost my rod in the river, something Large grabbed it, but I never got a hook set and lost it.

The CHASE continues! Lol. I think this cool weather coming in helped, and it will start getting better now for the fall.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Good deal! The water here is starting to cool a little, so I may switch to daytime fishing soon. This past weekend I noted water temps of 80 to 85�.

I have had some luck in the last couple of weeks, though. A bunch of dinks (10-20 lb'ers), and two nice ones, one 45 and one 52 lb'er. Once the water cools, things should start picking up.

One problem is the James river has the crabs real bad. Hell, they're in the river all the way to Richmond, and it's hard to get a fish's attention when he's gorged on crabs...

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Months ago all my 'BIG Fish' hits were in the evenings, today, I got a big hit around 10:30 and later another closer to noon

Catfish w/Crabs, who knew? Lol. Good luck!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
65, the way you are talking, I don't know who has who hooked... grin

Once you get one of those monsters on the end of a line, it can be hard not to think about the next time you can go out and chase 'em.

Sometimes, I think Deer season gets in the way, but I like to do that, too..

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't been fishing much lately, but went yesterday. I did "fair", caught a 21, 25, and a 57 pounder. I didn't have anyone with me, so I didn't get a picture of anyone holding a fish, but here's a pic of the 57 lb. blue. His gut was huge when he was lifted up off the deck, and all the fish fought HARD!

[Linked Image]

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
WOW man! NICE, the river here is cooling off, no doubt I think the fish bite best during hunting season, perhaps that's why they survive to grow to 57 smile

Awesome catch, live or cut bait? Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Using cut Gizzard shad. The local biologist says 100 lbs ought to be doable now.

I don't know if I want to try to lift something like that in the boat.....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 57 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,502 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,002
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.