Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fifth Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've searched more than once on Google for an explanation/history of the ebony tip gunstock. I certainly love the look of an ebony tipped stock but I am also curious how it came to be and why. Was there some initial function or was it always a decorative piece? Thanks much.

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Fifth
Was there some initial function or was it always a decorative piece?

I'm thinking decorative, but what do I know.

I can like it on a quality stock if done correctly, with no white line spacer, but have grown to pretty much dislike the black forend tip on something like a factory M700 BDL, and really dislike the slanted ones that were on the initial post-64 Win M70's.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Probably the precursor to an ebony forend tip is the buffalo horn tip. They were popular in the 20's and 30's - I think that G&H, Neidner, Sedgley & others all used it during that period. Unfortunately, the horn tends to dry out, shrink, and crack over time, making ebony, rosewood, or some other exotic hardwood a better choice.

Other than the stylistic aspect, I doubt that a contrasting tip adds anything functional to the gunstock.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In addition to being decorative, the hard ebony cap covers and protects the stock's end-grain, preventing splitting.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Ebony is considerably harder than walnut. The forend tip and the bottom of the pistol grip are the areas of a stock that are most likely to come in contact with rocks, etc. Ebony takes a much harder hit before it dents.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by pal
In addition to being decorative, the hard ebony cap covers and protects the stock's end-grain, preventing splitting.

Yeah this is the answer. I can't remember where I read it, but I know it was from an authoritative source. The issue is end-grain & splitting... or was? At some point the utilitarian reason was lost and we just accepted them as aesthetically pleasing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I watched a TV show where they tried to cut down some Ebony in Africa to make clarinets. The wood was expensive, and often cracked, and the clarinet had to be scrapped.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Fifth Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hmm. Well, I'm now pretty sure my Winchester Super Grade does not have an ebony wood tip. After reading about the relative rarity of ebony wood and Winchester's description online "......complement the contrasting black fore-end tip and pistol grip cap." it seems obvious that it is a piece of walnut (presumably) stained black. Disappointing but what can one expect.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I bought a chunk of ebony and made a FE tip and grip cap for my M600 Rem. I was surprised how nice it shaped and sanded. Even if a tip is not real ebony, if its well attached and finished, it's all good. Heck, even the well finished plastic ones look good.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Today, a better choice might be stabilized walnut, dyed black. It is harder, tougher, and stable. I have had ebony split and need repairing just as often as the walnut stock. I still think it looks nice though. GD

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Another trick is to suspend a walnut object (such as a forend tip) in a sauce pan of linseed oil, set to simmer (well short of boiling) over a heat source. Leave it cook for a day or two. Dry off, cool down, and polish on a soft wheel. It was an "ebonizing" trick my grandfather used to do when he made handles for brass levers on antique cars and the like. It turns the walnut black like ebony. I used to be the guy who had to monitor the process- boring as heck for a teenaged kid.

(Note, if you try it do it outside- especially if using an open flame heat source. Fire hazard and smell.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
friend of mine had a Remington 22, can't remember which model, 5 something. Pretty gun. We were squirrel hunting one morning when his "ebony" tip from the factory popped off. It was plastic with 2 plastic dowels that lined it up with the stock. I'm not a big fan of newer Remingtons.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
All of the Remington BDL stocks had a forend tip which was plastic. Winchester used bakelite on their XTR stocks. Stocks from Remington's custom shop often used rosewood while Winchester's supergrades (pre-64) were ebony. I always liked the little ebony insert which Winchester dovetailed into the fancy Hi-Walls and 95's. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used African Blackwood for knife handles, and it appears to be very stable against cracking and shrinking.

Anyone ever used Blackwood?

Fifth Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
How much would it cost (on average) to have a real ebony tip installed on a stock?

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Ebony tip will be between $8-14 Install around $25-50. On an existing stock you will probably have to refinish. $$??

Just my 2 cents.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Pm Karnis here on the 'fire. He does GREAT work. He installed an ebony end cap, red decelerator, and made some gorgeous refinements to a clubby Boyd's a while back and it turned out awesome! I highly recommend him for stock work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ramrod340
Ebony tip will be between $8-14 Install around $25-50. On an existing stock you will probably have to refinish. $$??

First of all it has to be dry. I purchased some from a major supplier and had two shrink. Not unheard of but a PIA to fix.

The existing forend needs to be trimmed correctly, drilled and the "block" fastened. The shaped and finished. It is time consuming if done correctly. I've seen prices exceed $150.00 installed and finished.

BTW, proportion is everything with an ebony tip. Add one that is not shaped correctly and all you'll be looking at is the crappy job. eek

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw
Pm Karnis here on the 'fire. He does GREAT work. He installed an ebony end cap, red decelerator, and made some gorgeous refinements to a clubby Boyd's a while back and it turned out awesome! I highly recommend him for stock work.

BTW, how is the finish coming along? Pics man, PICS! grin

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There's more then one way to skin a cat... A few, maybe a handful or two, of late vintage Kimber of Oregon stocks out there have less than purely natural deep dark Ebony; some were enhanced with black spray on forearm protectant to obfuscate brown graination. wink

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,188
Posts18,484,884
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.