Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I am sending this gun off to Jack Hunington to be re timed (Barrel and frame to be locked together longer among other changes) and will have him pressure and function test these handloads as well. Even if he give a big fat NYET to my handloads, at least my frame will be protected from the currently excessive slamming evidenced by the overzealous brass ejection speeds.
I am an expereinced handloader for rifles and wildcats, but not for pistols. Early in the proccess for me.

Mark, i don't want to beat on you either, you don't deserve it, but at the same time i don't think you are listening either. When two or three or more people are basically saying the same thing are you listening? Those 80rounds you loaded would be nothing to UNLOAD, and put them together right. I have had to take apart, my worst experience, about 700 m1carbine rounds.
If i have a N frame revolver i will look at it a certain way, semiauto's are looked at a LOT more carefully, and that .40caliber round a LOT more carefully, there are so many things, from brass, temp., case set back, crimping and so on that things go critical before you know it. I know ONE of the posters on this thread blew up a 20, I blew up a 23 with a .40s&w one day, another one of the posters on this thread saved the pistol by selling me a slide. It was a squibb load that i goofed on. After reloading handgun since the 70's. I know another guy locally that blew up a 23 with handloads. You messing with the devil, son.
As to that cobra, i have one too. I have read they will take about 1000rounds of that high pressure stuff before they have "issues" OR MAYBE NOT.
my wife carries that gun sometimes, i ain't putting that stuff in there, there is just to much stuff to make it not necessary.
I think one of the signs of a inexperienced reloader in pistol/revolver is the idea you have to go to warp speed.
Read some of brian pierce's articles or for about 20bucks get a subscription to handloader. One of my favorite guns is a s&w 696 with a 180 grain golddot, and it ain't running at warp speed.
I have a .41magnum addiction too, as does one other poster on here. Mostly i load those to around 1000fps with a 200grain bullet. But there are many reasons why i don't push the envelope.
And i am getting to the point that a 280grain lead hollowpoint out of a .45colt while much better to shoot works for me. I am going the other way in nother works, mass beat speed. You rather have a skinny fast runner fall on you, or a 400pound fat woman?
I might have a box of 9mm factory ammo that i look at once in a while. It says on the box, without checking, it is loaded to 30% or 40% over saami specs. I like to LOOK at it, which is what i intend on doing. Again, just absolutely no reason, no matter if it is 10 rounds or 100 to tempt the fates.
Given some of the medical issues i have seen posted, it isn't worth it to made the trip minus some fingers to the local emergency room.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 06/18/12.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I surely am not trying to beat this to death, but the information in this link directly goes to the velocity argument and why other things are more important.
http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I am absolutely amazed this debate has been conducted here on The Fire with the amount of decorum shown. No degrading name calling, no foul language, no charges of idiocy, and most shocking of all an open-minded approach to a challenged assertion. Thank you.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=safariman]Well, I loaded up my first ever semi auto pistol cartridges this month and SURPRISE they fed and fired and ran perfectly. My loads using AA#7 did not get me to my goals....."

So is this the rest of the story?

http://10mm-firearms.com/reloading-10mm-ammo/180-gold-dots-over-aa9/

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
[quote=safariman]Well, I loaded up my first ever semi auto pistol cartridges this month and SURPRISE they fed and fired and ran perfectly. My loads using AA#7 did not get me to my goals....."

So is this the rest of the story?

http://10mm-firearms.com/reloading-10mm-ammo/180-gold-dots-over-aa9/

Was what I was thinking, but I am RE thinking based on all of the warnings received here, pending pressure test results from Huntingtons. My pistol and ammo is on its way down there for a full battery of tests. Even if given the OK to run them some, it will be used very sparingly and each case will be discarded after one firing to err on the side of safety.

How did you find me there? Are you a member, too? Kend just told me about this site yesterday and that is my first post there.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
ent out yesterday and chronographed a bunch of ammo I loaded up. Wanted to replicate the old Dornaious and Dixon/Norma + current Buffalo bore loads for my Delta ELite. HAd tried to do so with AA$7 but did not get there before we busted a case head wide open. AA#9 is a much slower burning powder so I had great hopes. Loaded four rounds each at 14.0, 14.2, 14.4, 14.6, and ended at 14.8

I would say, "busted" and what have we spent seven pages talking about?
Sorry, but even after that not taking the hint?

edited after i saw the following post, I officially give up:
Was what I was thinking, but I am RE thinking based on all of the warnings received here, pending pressure test results from Huntingtons. My pistol and ammo is on its way down there for a full battery of tests. Even if given the OK to run them some, it will be used very sparingly and each case will be discarded after one firing to err on the side of safety.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 06/18/12.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
I surely am not trying to beat this to death, but the information in this link directly goes to the velocity argument and why other things are more important.
http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

I agree that the velocity is not the biggest part of the equation at all, but something in my DNA has made me into a velcoity whore and I just cannot seem to help myself! smile

Huntington is also getting a perfectly good 7mm RemMag in the same package/box to turn it into a 7mm Mashburn Super..... It is a sickness or an affliction with few cures.

Still, Affliction or no, I will rely on their testing to tell me whether one single round of this stuff should ever be fired in this pistol and be just fine with whatever they say. No flies on the Winchester 175gr Silvertips at 1275 over the screens. Also might just load the FNHC 200's for everything, at moderate velocity (by 10mm standards) like 1100-1150 or so and call it good as a one load/do everything load.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah.... 7 pages..... Am reminded of the alcoholic who said, "Everything will be just fine as long as I only drink the good scotch..." YMMV.

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hmmmm... intersting analogy. Is there a velocity whores ananymous support group out there? smile

I CAN stop at only ONE MAGAZINE FULL! Really! anytime I want to....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have to think that a good 155 at 1300+ fps, well placed, is going to ruin a bad guy's day in short order, and be easier to shoot in rapid fire. That said, for hunting, I think it's not a bad approach to seek more velocity, even though caution is required. I still have a Kimber 10mm largely for its ramped barrel, which gives greater case support.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
yeah, I've been re-loading for 40+ years
and thought I knew it all LOL
and then I bought a 10mm

running cases through a "bulge buster" should have been clue enough.
But no. I have a thick skull.

Now?
I load 'em down to save $$ and chasing brass.
If I need more umph, I reach for the .44!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (10gaugeman, 22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 55 invisible), 3,731 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,703
Posts18,534,741
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.