-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The bullet i use in my 243 is the 90 gr Swift Scirocco with IMR 4064. This bullet usually gives complete penetration and the deer drop in their track or take only a few steps.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
are two bullets that make you think that you are shooting a 30/06!

The load in my Rem 700 is:

85g Barnes tripple Shock is 44.5g of R#19, Win primer

95g Nosler partition is 43.0g of H4350, Win primer

enjoy!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used the 85 TSX and the 95 NBT quite a lot, but mainly out of a 6/06. I've yet to keep either one in a deer or lope. Both will exit pretty much always, I say pretty much because I imagine sooner or later they won't for me.

Both are generally incredibly accurate. My present 6/06 barrel is a picky bugger, I mean really picky and it's pretty well done for. That said I've mainly used the 85 TSX in it cause it did happen to like that bullet.

The TSX will generally leave a bit less tissue trama but it's BC is a bit less as well.

I see it as a horse a piece for deer/lopes. Take your pic and rock on!

Fill some arks baby... smile

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Here is a report on TSX type bullets by John Barsness.

"To everybody who has shared their experiences with TSX's, thanks very much. Most of the time they will kill deer-sized game very well, especially in larger diameters like 7mm and .30. I was specificaly addressing my experience with the .25 caliber 100-grain TSX--which is considerable, both in the .257 Roberts and .257 Weatherby.

I have seen it do very well, in fact once saw it drop a 3x3 mule deer buck right now with a high lung shot at about 150 yards. But I have also seen some animals not drop so fast with similar shot placement.

The reason for our "disagreements" probably lies in the fact that I have seen a whole lot of game taken with TSX's. Most of the time they kill very well, but sometimes they do not, and when they don't the animal is likely to go a ways, in my experience further than with any other type of bullet.

I have been pacing off how far animals have gone after a solid double-lung hit for many years. Animals hit with Barnes X's (whether the old-style or TSX), Fail Safes, E-Tips or whatever "petal" type bullet have gone an average of just over 50 yards. Those hit with bullets that expand wider, or lose some weight, haven't gone as far.
The bullet that had dropped animals the quickest with lung shots has been the Berger VLD, at around 20 yards. Those averages include lung hits that drop animals instantly--and the highest percentage of instant drops also goes to the VLD, a bullet that normally comes completely apart, but only after penetrating a couple of inches.

I am primarily a meat hunter and do not deliberately aim for the shoulder/spine unless there is some real reason to drop it right there. But I have used that shot on a bunch of animals, and it doesn't take a TSX or other super-bullet to do the trick. I've done it with a bunch of bullets, including such "ordinary" bullets as the Hornady Interlock to the round-nosed Remington Core-Lokt.

All I am doing here is relate my experiences with various bullets. I've seen around 150 animals taken with TSX's, and my statements that it sometimes doesn't kill as quickly as wider-expanding lead cores are based on that experience.

If you are a TSX true believer, who's convinced that exit holes in the hide somehow kill quicker than massive destruction of the lungs, then you are also welcome to your opinion. You're also welcome to shoot shoulder-shoot all the deer you want. But I happen to disagree on both counts, and my disagreement is based on quite a bit of experience.

Please note that I NEVER said TSX's are bad bullets, anwyhere in this thread. They are very fine bullets, and paricularly good for certain jobs, especially on really big game. But I have not found them ideal on deer."

Good grief. How many times are you going to cut and paste that same thing on this forum??

R
R
They may not be flashy but Partitions are hard to beat. I have seen alot of big bucks dropped with a .243 and Partition combo.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Although I use a 6MM-06 as opposed to a 243, I've killed a bunch of Mule Deer, a few Whitetail, Antelope, Caribou and Sheep with the 100 grain Partition with perfect satisfaction.

I KNOW that a Partition will open up and retain weight. I don't trust copper bullets to ALWAYS do that.

I tried Barnes bullets --- they produced poor groups, fouled terribly and velocity suffered ---- Oh yeah I forgot, they've got those cute rings around them now laugh

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
buddy of mine has a bar in .243

shoots 100gr factory winchester power points in it

and i have seen 4 deer he has shot
all pass thrus
big exit wounds
1.5 - 2 inch range
i wouldnt want to get hit with one thats for sure................

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I have used the Speer 100 gr bt in mine for several years at ranges up to 400 yards and most were drt. They were pass throughs for the most part. Don't see the Speer bullet mentioned much but they have worked for me over the years.

Bill

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm running the 80 TTSX in my wife's .243 at 3,400+ with RL-17.

It puts the smack on stuff. Haven't recovered one yet.

It outruns dots...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
85gr TSX with 4831 is the combo our .243 likes. Pick the one your rifle likes and go kill stuff. They will all do the job if you do your part, and that seems to happen more when you are confident in your rig and it's accuracy.

Last edited by jdunham; 07/06/12.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think the general opinion here is either will work. To me they're kind of at opposite ends of the spectrum...one being a rather strong and hard penetrating bullet, the other being a very quick and destructive fast opener.

Why not muck this up even more and give something in the middle a try? Like the 90gr Scirocco or 90gr Accubond? Kind of a best of both worlds?

woodson Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hadn't tried either the Accubond and Scirocco but it seems like the BT is a fairly stout bullet. I'm gonna stick with the 95 NBT for the upcoming season.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by GregW

It outruns dots...

Lol.....thats quick. How does it match up?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by woodsonchris
Hadn't tried either the Accubond and Scirocco but it seems like the BT is a fairly stout bullet. I'm gonna stick with the 95 NBT for the upcoming season.

I found about 400 when we moved so I prolly will too for 6mm stuff

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Kaleb

It outruns dots...

For a 200 yard zero, 300 and 400 is pretty good but at 500 I have to put the bottom post on the bottom of the gong...grin...

All I have to do is zero a bit closer but I know how/where it shoots as does my wife so I ain't touching it...grin

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MileHighShooter

Why not muck this up even more and give something in the middle a try? Like the 90gr Scirocco or 90gr Accubond? Kind of a best of both worlds?

I'm with ya on that. I'm hoping my 243 shoots those 2 close to the same poi as the other pills I'm going to try to sling.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have shot both

44.5g of R#19 with a win primer with the 85g tripple shock seated 0.050 off the lands

43.0g of IMR 4350 with a Win primer with the 95g Partition seated near the lands

both of these loads shoot very well in my rem 700 stainless at or around 1/2"-3/4".

The Barnes does not leave a blood trail at all, it that is an issue for you, but the innards are soup.

The Nosler partition in my opinion is the bullet to beat for guys that need a blood trail in heavy cover.

Two years ago,I had a shot at two does with one shot standing in perfect alignment. I killed both of them DRT and the 85g Barnes was not recovered with the load above. We have generous doe tags here,plus you are allowed two per day on doe days.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Kaleb

It outruns dots...

For a 200 yard zero, 300 and 400 is pretty good but at 500 I have to put the bottom post on the bottom of the gong...grin...

All I have to do is zero a bit closer but I know how/where it shoots as does my wife so I ain't touching it...grin

I hear ya....if'n it ain't broke don't go tryin to fix....grin

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I think the decision between the two (TSX and NBT) is, as others have expressed either a matter of preference or need for continued expansion within the animal or penetration (usually through) the animal.

On having seen hundreds of Pronghorns shot, and perhaps having shot in the neighborhood of a hundred or so, the conclusion for quicker kills on these animals is expansion. I think the same can be said for most deer this side of monster muleys or steroid whitetails.

This hunter found the 95g NBT to deliver a smashing slam-dunk kill, without the need for a shoulder shot.
[Linked Image]

"I have always disliked the words 'authority' and 'expert' when applied to those who write about guns, shooting,and hunting. I have never set myself up as either."
Jack O'Connor
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 64 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,413
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.