Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Poodleshooter
Originally Posted by Pete E

Be aware, the reticle in that scope is in the second focal place, so the Mils on the reticle are only "true" at x15.

While this is certainly true, one thing I've seldom seen is a report from FFP owners as to how often they've mil ranged a target at a magnification other than the maximum (which is usually the "mil" setting on most SFP scopes).
Personally, if a target is past the point at which I'd bother to mil it, I'm maxing out the magnification on any scope topping out under 20x, as FOV will be plenty big at those ranges anyway.
My point is that I suspect that that facet of FFP mil dot scopes is a seldom used advantage, with the comparatively steep opportunity cost of a small, thin subtension of the reticle at low power.

Ranging isn't the big gig. Ranging with the reticle on live targets is only going to be a ball park figure and only at relatively close ranges.

The real benefit to FFP is that you can utilize the reticle for drop/wind at any power and spot your own corrections at any power. IE it doesn't matter what power the scope is at if you see the round land 1.3mil left say, you just hold/dial exactly what you see.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

The real benefit to FFP is that you can utilize the reticle for drop/wind at any power and spot your own corrections at any power. IE it doesn't matter what power the scope is at if you see the round land 1.3mil left say, you just hold/dial exactly what you see.

My thoughts exactly..FFP makes corrections at unknown ranges far easier, especially if working with a partner acting as a "spotter"...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Poodleshooter
Originally Posted by Pete E

Be aware, the reticle in that scope is in the second focal place, so the Mils on the reticle are only "true" at x15.

While this is certainly true, one thing I've seldom seen is a report from FFP owners as to how often they've mil ranged a target at a magnification other than the maximum (which is usually the "mil" setting on most SFP scopes).
Personally, if a target is past the point at which I'd bother to mil it, I'm maxing out the magnification on any scope topping out under 20x, as FOV will be plenty big at those ranges anyway.
My point is that I suspect that that facet of FFP mil dot scopes is a seldom used advantage, with the comparatively steep opportunity cost of a small, thin subtension of the reticle at low power.

I disagree with your statement, I run a couple S&B's 3 to 12 magnification with FFP on hunting rifles.
I have references taped to the stock that reference range distance based on mils at the target. Example mature whitetail buck is 18" brisket to withers, paste the mil reticle to target & range.
I do not have to worry about what magnification my scope is set on for a quick ranging reference, I do not find the reticle unusable at the lower mag.

The SFP scopes can be used to range at powers other than max you just have to know what magnification you are on and verify that it is accurate at that power.

The main thing with any of these optics with some sort of ranging reticle is that the turrets match the reticle, IE mil\mil or moa\moa.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
STA,

Are you set on a variable? These fixed are pretty nice. I have the older 10x MIL reticle/MOA turrets on my 5R Milspec and am going to 'upgrade' to the new MIL/MIL reticle design possibly in 12x or 16x (maybe 20X, this isn't a close range rifle). You can also get a side adjust parallax model. They're shorter and lighter than the Viper.

The Viper is sweet though, had one of the PSTs on order when they were coming out, but took so long to come in hunting season forced a different choice. Still like the PST but the SWFA SS scopes are hard to beat for price. And I'm always at the 'right' mag for ranging! grin

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
FWIW - I picked up a Weaver 3-10x40mm mil-dot for $299 at Midway and thought it was one of the better deals out there for a mil-mil optic.

Weaver 1/10th mil

[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mclevela
I disagree with your statement, I run a couple S&B's 3 to 12 magnification with FFP on hunting rifles.
I have references taped to the stock that reference range distance based on mils at the target. Example mature whitetail buck is 18" brisket to withers, paste the mil reticle to target & range.
I do not have to worry about what magnification my scope is set on for a quick ranging reference, I do not find the reticle unusable at the lower mag.

The SFP scopes can be used to range at powers other than max you just have to know what magnification you are on and verify that it is accurate at that power.

Interesting-so you guys are saying that with a hypothetical 3-12x scope for example, you actually use the intermediate magnifications (4x-11x)at distances when ranging or adjusting drop might be necessary (which I consider to be beyond about 250yds)?
For me, the FFP advantage is moot. If it's far enough away that I have to range or adjust with turrets, I'm on maximum power anyway. At those distances, FOV is HUGE, so picking up a target is easy even at max magnification.

Last edited by Poodleshooter; 06/26/12.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I think the FFP really shines over the SFP where you are shooting at multiple targets at multiple ranges and using hold overs instead of twisting turrets.

Another time that FFP works better is on higher power scopes where you end up having to turn them down because of mirage. However a SFP will still worked it you have mapped your reticle to where you know what your sub tensions are at different powers. Also keep in mind that just because the scope says 12x that may be 12.5 or 11.5 or ... so you have to do a little leg work to know exactly where to set your power ring
Example on a 6-24: 1 mil equals
1mil24x
2mils12X
4mils6x

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MojoHand

Are you set on a variable? These fixed are pretty nice. I have the older 10x MIL reticle/MOA turrets on my 5R Milspec and am going to 'upgrade' to the new MIL/MIL reticle design possibly in 12x or 16x (maybe 20X, this isn't a close range rifle). You can also get a side adjust parallax model. They're shorter and lighter than the Viper.

The Viper is sweet though, had one of the PSTs on order when they were coming out, but took so long to come in hunting season forced a different choice. Still like the PST but the SWFA SS scopes are hard to beat for price. And I'm always at the 'right' mag for ranging! grin

I have just ordered the new version of the Falcon Menace..Its 4-14x44, FFP, Mil/Mil and an illuminated reticule.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It will go on my .22LR CZ452 Varmint to replace a 7x50mm Meopta. The idea is that it will approximate my 4-16x50 S&B PM11 on my .308win..Plus I am hoping it will be death on long range bunnies! grin

The Falcon Menace has had mixed reviews for reliability in the past, but by all accounts they have improved over the years. At around $400, its about half the price of the Vortex PST, comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty and the company that is behind them is relatively local to me here in the UK, so I figured I would give them a try..

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 06/26/12.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,618
Posts18,511,884
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.