Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Cayuse Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I need alll your help. This will be my first, and... probably not, but I like to think so... last handgun. I want a revolver or pistol that I can use for home defense (every night); hiking (in black bear country); concealing (for thost trip downtown); and as back up when I hunt large game (grizzlies excluded). I'm weighing SA .45 vs. .45 ACP (magazing cap) vs. 10mm. Ruger is all I'm considering for SA, but for auto it's wide open - Kimber, Springfield, Glock and Sig.
<br>Always value your opinions. Please weigh in.
<br>Dave
<br>

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First of all, it doesn't sound like you have much experience with a pistol. If that is the case, I would strongly suggest that you either reload some lower powered rounds for the ONE gun, as you specify, you buy or buy a 22 or .357(and load it with target load WCs) and learn to shoot with that. As a matter of fact a .357 revolver is close to covering all of your goals. But you're trying to make one pistol cover a whole lot of situations. It wouldn't be all that difficult if you didn't have the concealability issue in there. I would recommend a Ruger Stainless Bisley in .45LC. But it is rather large to conceal unless you want to wear a windbreaker every trip into town.
<br>
<br>I haven't used a 10mm but that might be a good choice, or a 1911 colt in .45 ACP. Problem with both ot the latter is that they are relatively underpowered for game and I wouldn't prefer to use them as hunting. And, if they are underpowered for game, they are underpowered for back up IMO.
<br>
<br>I think you should reassess your needs and make a choice based on what you see as the most often used scenarios of the ones you mentioned.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Handgun shooting, or shall we say hitting something with a handgun, is far harder to learn than learning to shoot a rifle.
<br> I recommend something you can shoot alot, and learn. Without the ability to hit something, your wasting your time packing one.
<br> I've owned, and shot, almost everything that goes bang in handguns. I'm an ex-cop. I know about using them against bad guys. I hike alot in Black Bear country, and have seen, or used them for hunting.
<br> My best advice is get a .22. I prefer the Ruger SS Convertable. The .22 Mag round kills unusually well. While not a bear round, that jacketed bullet has killed lots of large mammals, and people. Slid that bullet along side a bear's nose, and it may well make it into the brain.
<br> I shoot mine much more than my other handgun.
<br> I'd skip the idea of a "back up" pistol for big game. Your rifle is far more effective.
<br> I've carried mine for "social purposes." I've seen the .22 Mag round work. I'd much rather have it, than anything under the 9 mm for social purposes.
<br> The point is to get something you can shoot, or learn to shoot well. Do get something with adjustable sights. Do have the trigger reworked.
<br> If you insist on a large caliber revolver, the SA Rugers are the way to go. They will tolerate being knocked around much more than a DA revolver.
<br> I'd skip the auto pistols. Mind you, I own more auto pistols than revolvers.
<br> A handgun is mighty handy to have along in the field. Great for collecting small game for the pot. And dealing with obnoxious critters/people of all kinds. E
<br>
<br>
<br>

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Cayuse:
<br>
<br>One possibility for a "one gun" situation might be the Glock Model 33 in .357 Sig caliber.
<br>
<br>I carry one in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster daily. It is a dream package. Small relatively light and powerful.
<br>I put a one shot extension on the mags to increase their capacity to 10.
<br>
<br>I also put an NYPD trigger spring in to increase the 5 pound trigger pull to 8 pounds. I then added night sights.
<br>
<br>Norm

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
Cayuse Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks guys. Considerable food for thought.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Greetings, as mentioned by others that is alot to ask for one firearm. I would look into a 357 magnum 3 inch barrel. I would also look into a glock 30 or other compact. If hiking wasnt on the list and no black bear then I would look into a 9mm or 40 S&W. The final option is a glock 29 10mm subcompact. This would probably do all, but you would need to practice alot. It depends how seriously you want to practice and spend the money for 10mm shells. The 45 and 10mm are expensive to feed. The 357 will probably not be shot much with full power 357 mag. Take Care. Esox357.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Cayuse, I carry a S&W 586 4" 357 Double action revolver. I shoot it a lot, usually 100 rnds a month. Have done so for years. I killed two hogs last winter with it using three shots double action. The 357 is a supurb round in most cases but as mentioned it is no subsitute for a rifle as no hand gun is especially if you are a beginner at hand gun shooting. Single actions are rugged and less likley to cause you problems in handling high power ammo, you must shoot a lot to become competent with any caliber.
<br>Second find some one to teach you how to shoot a hand gun, bad habits are easy to develop and hard to cure. If you do not reload get your self a 22lr to learn with, then move up to a big bore. I have several auto's including 45 APC, 9MM Lugar and 9x18 custom chambered. I carry my revolver because it always works, no question just pull trigger and it goes bang, no slide to pull, no hammer to cock. I only get six shots, done rite that is more than plenty, just takes lots of practice and good training.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the concept of having only one handgun is un-American.......and also very difficult for the long list of requirements you have. I have never considered having only one but given your needs I would suggest a S & W Model 19 with 2" barrel. Can carry it easy and it has adequate power for most things. Be careful, and get real familiar with any handgun. Easy to shoot your toe with one if you aren't careful and experienced at using it.
<br>
<br>Elwood

Cayuse Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Shot the Glock 10mm. Recoil not bad. Kind of dull-like. Liked the gun a lot... problem is the avail of ammo. Shot a Glock in .357 sig. Sharper action. Shot all the S&W wheels in .357 (no 44's available - but I got a sense of size/grip/feel). Liked the 66 in 4" best.
<br>The search and shooting continues... a slight curve in the road... a few articles got me thinking on the S&W N Frame... Bowen does a conversion from an N frame .38 spl to .45. Does anyone have any experience with this? The 1917 (N frame) and all it's subsequent configurations... 22, 27 and 28... have such nice lines... be nice to have one in .45 for field/hiking carry. Prices for the N frames are pretty resonable & adding Bowen's or Clements cost still brings it within reach. Wondering about handling hot loads though. Any thoughts on all this?
<br>
<br>Thanks again.
<br>
<br>
<br>

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
.357 S&W Model 19 (blue) or 66 (stainless) in 2.5" or 4". If you do not see yourself enjoying any handgun pursuit that would require adjustable sights (Hunting or targets), then consider the S&W 13 (blue) or 65 (stls) in 3 or 4 inch. I think a single action revolver is problematic for defense (against 2 or 4 legged aggressors) and concealed carry.
<br>
<br>The .357 S&W 586 (blue) and 686 (stls) are also fine choices in 2.5 or 4 ". (For non-adjustable sights, 581 or 681. Was available in 4" only. I don't think either is in current production, so this would be a used purchase)
<br>
<br>I know very little about the world of Semi-autos so I'll refrain from making a fool out of myself.
<br>
<br>I AGREE with all those who said you should by a .22 also. They are good practice and FUN.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cayuse,
<br>
<br>How about a S&W 696; "K" frame, 5 shot, 3" barrel, .44 Special? You can shoot heavy hard lead bullets for penetration and Winchester Silvertips for fast expansion. The S&W 396 would be much lighter to carry, but S&W says not to shoot bullets heavier than 200 grains and that is a little light (IMHO) for an application that requires penetration.
<br>
<br>I don't own either gun, but tend to hold 396s for extended periods of time whenever I see one. Oh well, maybe someday!
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bearr264, Now your talking my language. I own a 696 what a great gun. Mine is real smooth double action and really likes the CCI Blazer load with the 200 gr Gold Dot Hollow Point. I also load some stout 240 cast for the woods but for personal defense the CCI's get the call

"You shouldn't say it is not good. You should say you do not like it; and then, you know, you're perfectly safe." James Whistler
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I agree that for a first handgun that can do a lot of things is the .22 mag. You'll learn to shoot it much easier and take it with you more often. If you like it, which you will, then having just one handgun will be impossible. It will eat at you day and night......you will have to have another gun, you'll have no choice. By that time you'll be more selective because you won't be thinking of a gun for all reasons, you'll be thinking interms of which gun do I want "NEXT?"!!!!

Sothrdnk
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well pard, I am late on this one. But I do not believe you can do it all with just one. A good .22 to get started with, and after you are satisfied and comfy with a hand gun you will then need two serious ones IMHO. A small .38/357 for social situations and hideability and a decent big bore for the woods.
<br>
<br>I have carried a 3" Colt Cobra .38spl for many years off duty and undercover and just gave in to Florida humidity about five years ago and went to a Taurus 85CH .38spl in stainless for every day wear, CCW. In the woods I have an old 50's S & W 29 5" barrel round butted .44mag for back up and last ditch.
<br>
<br>This is my minimum comfort zone, your milage may vary. I wish you very good luck in your search for the right gun for you.
<br>
<br>Regards,
<br>T LEE

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glock Model 32, .357 sig caliber...125 grain hollowpoint at 1425 feet per second. 10 rounds in the magazine. All the power of a 4 inch barreled .357 Magnum

"No honest man needs more than ten rounds in any gun." William Batterman Ruger
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hi,
<br>For the economy and practicality of a pistol I think the first one should be a 22. This for the finding the sights and low noise for the beginner.
<br>I have had excellent service from the little Hertitage Arms revolver. It is covertable from 22 LR and 22 Mag.
<br>For this little dandy you will spend $150 or so. It is single action and even has a safety, comes in 4, 5, 6, inch barrel.
<br>The only problem I have experienced is the backing out of two screws. A little lok tite solved that problem. I've sold 5 or 6 of them and never had a complaint. I own and use one.
<br>You can get most of your money back and then step up in caliber.
<br>
<br>

[email] <a href="mailto:[email protected][/email]">[email protected][/Email]</a>

much obliged eddie
Cayuse Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks fellas for all the opinions. Have settled on a Redhawk 5.5 in .45 for my first, but not my only :-).

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1234, 46 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,104
Posts18,502,164
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.