Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by ken999
Ha!...8 man's not big enough, but your next buy is gonna be a BCS?

Must be missing something here...or not.

And what does ANY of this have to do with the Megatarp?

Sorry, Ken,for confusing you, I should probably have been more detailed in my post. I tend to think of "shelters" in terms of small rigs, such as my ID bivies, tarptents and so forth and tents as my various ID and Hille. models and tipis as tipis. I was a bit unclear in my references in this respect and will try to do better.

Relevance,well, I guess that is "in the eye of the beholder" and we all post here as we see fit and based on whatever experience we might have. I, for example, based on years of living at altitude in very windy conditions,would choose a BCS over most "shelters" I see available and, given BC's climate, a Saitaris for most camping over a tipi, YMMV.

I want a larger tipi for my wife's comfort as I do not backpack a fully rigged 8-man, so,the extra weight of a 12 man is not an issue for me. I want the extra strength of the heavy duty model Kevin is introducing as I would have bought the heavier Kifaru, except Patrick discontinued it just before I purchased the three different K-tipis I have had since 2005. "Horses for courses" and all that, eh.

Hope this clarifies things as I would not want to confuse anyone.

GB1

K
ken999 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Kute- Your not confusing me at all. It's just another example of mindless drivel on your behalf. None of it having any relavance to the Megatarp except for your noting that it reminds you of a rainfly designed for a hammock...lol...TFF. Rock on man.

While we are at it...whats your take on the much maligned Paratipi? Didn't you have one? You think the BCS would buck the wind better than a Paratipi? According to your classification of things, they both are shelters and not tents or tipis, right?.

Last edited by ken999; 06/22/12.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Kute- Your not confusing me at all. It's just another example of mindless drivel on your behalf. None of it having any relavance to the Megatarp except for your noting that it reminds you of a rainfly designed for a hammock...lol...TFF. Rock on man.

While we are at it...whats your take on the much maligned Paratipi? Didn't you have one? You think the BCS would buck the wind better than a Paratipi?

Ken,
I have owned both. Guess which one I still have and will never part with.

The BCS weighs very little more, has WAY more room, way better design, and I don't have to low crawl to get into it. They both performed well in the wind. Not one over the other. Which I believe speaks to the quality of the BCS that it has done nothing but good things for me and stands about 2x taller, with less wall angle than the PT.

My gripes with the PT were the lack of space. On paper it has a bunch of space. But due to the angle of the side walls, you loose so much of it. Even one person with a small stove was cramped. I was either up against the stove, or up against a condensated wall. I even had the pipe in at an angle, pushing the stove away as much as possible. It is fairly long, and I wanted to keep my pack and what not at the foot of it in the unused space. But then to reach my pack, I couldn't just sit up and reach back. The rear drops too low. So I would have to swing my feet around toward the door, and almost low crawl again. Of course, getting condensation all over me in the process.

Honestly man, there are people out there that don't like Kifaru for whatever reason. I have had a lot of their products, and still have one or two. Most their offerings, prices, and lead times just aren't for me. Or a lot of people for that matter. No reason to get up in arms if someone opines about them negatively.

I know it is better compared to the Sawtooth, as BOTH of them are re-works of the older ID offerings. I just wanted to address your comments.

Last edited by JoeH; 06/22/12.

Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness. Selah.- Psalm 55:7

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

And where do you think Brandon got his "hammock" tarp design from schitbird? I have basically the same tarp made by a cottage guy in NC, works great on the ground, and didn't cost $350. Get your scrips filled and calm down.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
TAK,
Got a link to that NC guy's site or any info????

Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness. Selah.- Psalm 55:7

IC B2

K
ken999 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Schitbird? GFY.

I can assure you Joe, the George tarp had nothing to do with the design of the Sawtooth.

K
ken999 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Oh...and I wonder how the Kifaru Lynch Mob around here would react if one of Kifaru's new offerings grenaded like I hear a few of the original BCS's did??...schitt...you guys would want Patrick swingin from a tree before sundown.

What a riot.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Once again, a thread has gone off the rails, with name-calling and childish behavior. I'm really beginning to wonder if it's worth participating in this forum...

In the words of the recently deceased Rodney King, "People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?"

Or, in the words of my dear old mother, "Grow up!"

<Rolls Eyes>

Scott

K
ken999 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
I have basically the same tarp made by a cottage guy in NC, works great on the ground.

The WB pics I looked at showed a handfull of tie out points and a honkin cat cut along the edges that would contact the ground...no thanks. Besides...there's no Annex for a stove.

You can whine and cry all you want, but Patricks tarps are well built and VERY versitile.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ScottBrooks
Once again, a thread has gone off the rails, with name-calling and childish behavior. I'm really beginning to wonder if it's worth participating in this forum...

In the words of the recently deceased Rodney King, "People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?"

Or, in the words of my dear old mother, "Grow up!"

<Rolls Eyes>

Scott

I agree...I just don't understand it. The "Hunters Campfire" forum is full of this BS if that's your thing. I really don't understand it here. What's the point?

There's guys on here that will jump in feet first in the HC forum with all kinds of foulness over any subject just for kicks, then they come here and participate in the civil discussion of gear etc.

I sort of thought there were some "house rules" of sorts. One being you don't start whizzing contests and engage in name calling here. You want to do that, go to the HC forum. This forum was for civil discussion and civil disagreement when necessary, but a place to help others and learn from others.

Guess I was wrong. Then again, maybe not.
Maybe some people need to, in the words of Scott's mother, "GROW UP"!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Speak out against the K and you get the wrath!

K
ken999 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
No...post anything about K and get the wrath.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Gentelmen, first backpacks and now this....really, what have we become? Is not this a forum of like minded intelligent gear lovers and novices, that come together to learn and research? All manufacturers improve their products based on realistic customer feedback, not on undying customer devotion. It is fine to disagree and state facts. Gear is a personal choice, and we should respect others gear choices, even if they do match our own. Obvisously, there are some people here who love their gear, and can't imagine living without it, but we must be a group of fellows who teach why we love our gear....and to not simply love any gear that has a certain name on it. This is a forum after all, not a symposium.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
[quote=Take_a_knee]

You can whine and cry all you want, but Patricks tarps are well built and VERY versitile.

Far be it from me to ever assert otherwise. The Paratarp is the finest LW shelter of it's type, IMO. The Super Tarp I've never seen. Patrick plowed new ground with the original silnylon tipi's with a stove jack, and, to borrow a phrase from Elmbow over at K forums, "Patrick is the T.A. Edison of packs."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kevin, unfortunately it isn't about gear. It's about children getting their toes stepped on.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JoeH
TAK,
Got a link to that NC guy's site or any info????

It is/was the Speer Winter Tarp made by Ed Speer. He no longer produces them. The Warbonnet stuff is the cutting edge hammock gear currently.

K
ken999 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
. The Warbonnet stuff is the cutting edge hammock gear currently.

All the more reason for Patrick to model his Megatarp after...HA!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Damn you're dumb.

K
ken999 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by RockChucker30
Kevin, unfortunately it isn't about gear.

ding ding ding ding ding ding ding...we have a winner.

Your absolutely right RC.

I'll readily admit I see alot of copying going on in the biz lately, so it is, to a degree a lil bit about the gear...but moreso for me, I'm getting real irritated with all the constant chatter and baseless talk of supposed facts here with regards to Kifaru gear. I'm also irritated by people trying to hide the copying by saying "well so and so made one 150 years ago..."

BULLSCHITT.

That's only a "make yourself feel good for hopping on the shirtails of another business" excuse.

It's time to start calling a spade a spade around here and get over all the hiding behind thinly veiled lies.

The BCS isn't patterned after a Sawtooth...haha...HILARIOUS. Looks just like one only with steeper wind catching faces. Couple that with the fact that it was released shortly after the tooth.....aaaaaaannnddd...I dont think so...lol..

Breakaway Tarp? Hhmmm...looks JUST like a Supertarp or Paratarp.

Tipi's?...well nevermind...the Indians hold the patent for those.

WOW...just WOW...

K
ken999 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K

Damn you're dumb.

Allright. Explain it to me.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 219DW, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,688
Posts18,513,554
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.