Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Can anyone recommend a good optic or tactical sight for an AR? I can't afford the high dollar stuff---like Trijicon or Elcan. What else is out there that is bullet-proof and price reasonable?

Thanks,

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Burris XTR 1-4X, about $700. It that is too pricey I'd look at the cheaper imported Burris 1-4x or maybe a Vortex

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get an Aimpoint. You can get the H-1 for around $450. It's small and light, works great, and is indestructible. Or you could go for the Aimpoint PRO. It's larger an slightly heavier, but can be had for around $375. Also indestructible.

I would also look around for these used. If you know it's a real one anyway. They last forever, Aimpoint doesn't care about who bought it first and will honor their warranty with or without receipt, and of course will save you a few bucks.

Don't buy crap. You'll end up being frustrated and spending more money anyway.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
@ the the $300-up level - Burris AR scope, any of the Leupold or Nikon AR series

@ the $150-up level - the Nikon P-223's are very nice. Used Leupold

@ the $125-up level - the Primary arms stuff is OK as to scopes, but heavy, their dot sights are very nice

@ the sub-$125 mark, just get a good set of irons and learn to use 'em

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The budgets people have on here confuse me, a lot of the time...
Not OP's, but the responses.

Get a Bushnell TRS-25 or a Primary Arms Micro. Have 2 Bushnells, on an AR and AK. Never had any problems of any sort.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All people are different. Some like to buy the best quality they can, some buy cheap, some like to buy the most products they can. Whatever floats your boat. I say Aimpoint for red dot or one of the new 1-6's that various companies are releasing this year for a scope.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I like quality stuff but I don't throw money away, nor do I buy the most expensive item. I buy what works for me. H1 Micro and ML3 Aimpoints, VX3 and MK4 Leupolds for optics so I don't have their top of the line stuff either.

Chinese knock offs are fine for some but not me.

Cheap always winds up costing more in the long run.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Value's very different than cheap. I'm not saying to buy a Barska or NCStar. The TRS and PA Micro are both excellent sights, and if he's asking for a good value in an optic, I think that's much more up his alley than $300+.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I remember everyone talking up some chinese 9 power compact binos from cameraland. I bit and placed an order only to have to send the cheap junk back, ordered Swarovki SLC'c from them and consider it money well spent.

I also have a pair of imported Leupold Yosemete's that I leave in the truck and use for loaners but I know what they are and they ain't my primary.

The title of the thread could read airsoft stuff but I won't reccomend cheap stuff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can anyone tell me how to verify that an Aimpoint is the real deal and not a forgery? Have a used beat up M2 that I think is the real deal, but I would like to know for sure.

NRA Life Member
IC B3

T
T
Get a Millett DMS 1-4x24mm with an illuminated reticle. Mine is great on my carbine.

We cannot defend Democracy abroad by deserting it at home. - Thomas Jefferson

Most men occasionally stumble over the truth, but pick themselves up and continue as if nothing had happened
- Sir Winston Churchill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Bushnell TRS-25 that I got as an experiment. At ~$100 might be worth it, right? I put it on my marlin 45-70 (I have Leupold or Aimpoint on the rifles I'd trust my life to). After about a year and a half of good service (minus some wierdism adjusting it), it got bumped or something and now the front lens is kicked in on one side. Don't know when, I just noticed it one day. POA now appears to be a couple of feet to the left at 10 yards. Haven't gotten out to the range to verify that, but it looks WAY off. After a trip to the range to verify it is messed up, I'll see if Bushnell will give me a warranty replacement, which I will promptly turn around and try to sell NIB for ~$80. Lesson learned.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lithian
Can anyone tell me how to verify that an Aimpoint is the real deal and not a forgery? Have a used beat up M2 that I think is the real deal, but I would like to know for sure.

They tell me one of the best way's to tell is if the logo is recessed in the case it's probably real. Most of the fakes have the logo screen printed on the side. Another way is to turn it on, if it's still running three years later it's probably the real deal wink

Terry

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
(for when the revolution hits)

And you want to stay on a budget?

grin

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Get an Ultra Dot instead, they are less mney and are tougher to boot. The Ultra Dot's will hold up to the recoil of the 475 Linebaugh revolvers and the Aimpoints will not

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwp475

Get an Ultra Dot instead, they are less mney and are tougher to boot. The Ultra Dot's will hold up to the recoil of the 475 Linebaugh revolvers and the Aimpoints will not

Im guessing you havent seen the DDM4 torture test video.
If the ultra dot is cheaper and tougher, why dont you see more of them?

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by CBMJR
Originally Posted by jwp475

Im guessing you havent seen the DDM4 torture test video.
If the ultra dot is cheaper and tougher, why dont you see more of them?

I would not call a M-4 much of a tortur test for optics, since the recoil is minimal

500 JRH

[Linked Image]

THe piece on the base of the ring that broke from reciol, but the Ultra Dot was unfased

[Linked Image]

500 Linebaugh

[Linked Image]

PLace an Aimpoint on thise big bore revolvers and the Aimpoint will fail, now that is an optics torture test

The Ultr Dots just keep on ticking after taking a licking.

Last edited by jwp475; 06/26/12.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I used to know a guy that had one of the ultradots on a 475 Linebaugh, they are the real deal, I shot his pistol a couple of times (that was enough for me).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The recoil isnt what I was referring to. It was the drop from the helicopter and other abuse they put it through. They are tough and pair very well with AR platform rifles.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

They are most certainly not as tough as an Ultra Dot, I know this first hand

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16gage, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,708 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,365
Posts18,488,160
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.