Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CBMJR
The recoil isnt what I was referring to. It was the drop from the helicopter and other abuse they put it through. They are tough and pair very well with AR platform rifles.

If they won't tolerate heavy recoil, why would they be able to withstand a drop out of a helicopter?

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Who says hey don't tolerate heavy recoil? This is the first I've heard of any recoil problems with an Aimpont, especially the newer versions. AR's don't have much recoil but they do have the backwards thrust of the bolt carrier and buffer slamming home for thousands and thousands of shots.

How is the battery life on an ultra dot? Serious question cause I've never paid them no attention, nor has anyone else running an AR that I've seen.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The Aimpoint is a battle-proven AR optic. Having said that I've got an Ultra Dot sitting on a .500 S&W that's holding up so far. I'm not going to diss the Aimpoint but EVERYTHING about living atop a .500 is a torture test and all I can say is the UD is still working. W1 shoots a lot more than I do (damn him) so if his UD's are holding up, well, that's saying something.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TWR
Who says hey don't tolerate heavy recoil? This is the first I've heard of any recoil problems with an Aimpont, especially the newer versions. AR's don't have much recoil but they do have the backwards thrust of the bolt carrier and buffer slamming home for thousands and thousands of shots.

How is the battery life on an ultra dot? Serious question cause I've never paid them no attention, nor has anyone else running an AR that I've seen.

I hunt almost exclusively with handguns nowadays, and the revolvers we hunt with offer an extreme test for the durability of any optic mounted on top. The only red-dot type sight that has consistently withstood the extreme recoil offered by these revolvers has been the Ultradot. I know many who have tried Aimpoints and they have failed. Granted, no AR platform rifle will exert the recoil impulses of one of these revolvers, but if they can withstand that beating, it speaks volumes about the durability of the optic.

I have one Ultradot that has its original battery in it and I have been using it steadily for more than four years.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by TWR
Who says hey don't tolerate heavy recoil?

Guy's that have tried them on these very hard kicking revolvers, that's who

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I know a guy who's been running an eo-thingie on a 500 S&W without issue, have you had an Aimpoint fail?

Show me some Micro failures on these hard kicking magnums.

And yes I watched a guy shoot a 500 Linebaugh, not for me. If the UD holds up then it must be worth looking at and my hat is off to you guys that can shoot them accurately.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Several friends have had the Aim Points fail on those type revolvers, but never an Ultra Dot

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by evanhill
I have a Bushnell TRS-25 that I got as an experiment. At ~$100 might be worth it, right? I put it on my marlin 45-70 (I have Leupold or Aimpoint on the rifles I'd trust my life to). After about a year and a half of good service (minus some wierdism adjusting it), it got bumped or something and now the front lens is kicked in on one side. Don't know when, I just noticed it one day. POA now appears to be a couple of feet to the left at 10 yards. Haven't gotten out to the range to verify that, but it looks WAY off. After a trip to the range to verify it is messed up, I'll see if Bushnell will give me a warranty replacement, which I will promptly turn around and try to sell NIB for ~$80. Lesson learned.

>Putting tac sight on .45-70
>a year and a half later it breaks from being put on a gun with too much recoil
>sight is now deemed bad
>mfw

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would like to see a test between the aimpoint and ultra dot. Not just recoil but everything to test a sights limits. Sounds like it would be interesting to see the results.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
a year and a half later it breaks from being put on a gun with too much recoil

I'm curious about how you reached this conclusion. It doesn't appear supported by the facts of the situation.

This whole thread does have me curious about whether or not the various red dots are rated for recoil. I certainly didn't see a factory rating associated with the TRS - 25. I did find plenty of internet smack talk about running them successfully on shotguns and other heavy recoiling weapons though.

IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It's the "cool guys" against the "cheap guys" I buy the best I can afford and don't care what anyone else uses.

I'm still waiting on any report of a Micro or later style Aimpoint going down due to recoil, I can find several reports of them surviving bomb blasts, being shot and still working but no recoil induced failures.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm very confused.

Isn't this about an AR in 5.56? Why are people complaining about recoil affecting the mentioned sights?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by TWR
It's the "cool guys" against the "cheap guys" I buy the best I can afford and don't care what anyone else uses.

I'm still waiting on any report of a Micro or later style Aimpoint going down due to recoil, I can find several reports of them surviving bomb blasts, being shot and still working but no recoil induced failures.

Cheap isn't the issue I have posted what I have seen with my own 2 eyes. I buy the best optics that I can get I personaly own 7 S&B rifle scopes 3 pair of Leica bonoculars, Zeis Davari, Us Optics and Nightforce scopes. Some of the S&B's that I own cost ove 3,000 dollars so price is not the point, the point is that the Ultra Dot took the abuse and the other didn't. Simple as that

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by TWR

Cheap isn't the issue I have posted what I have seen with my own 2 eyes. I buy the best optics that I can get I personaly own 7 S&B rifle scopes 3 pair of Leica bonoculars, Zeis Davari, Us Optics and Nightforce scopes. Some of the S&B's that I own cost ove 3,000 dollars so price is not the point, the point is that the Ultra Dot took the abuse and the other didn't. Simple as that

Holy wow.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is an interesting thread. I had never heard of an UltraDot before today. While I have total faith that an Aimpoint is up to the task in every way for an AR-15, I like the options that ultradot 6 offers too. I've got a plinking rifle I've been thinking about putting a red dot sight on. I might just have to try one.

Terry

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TC1
This is an interesting thread. I had never heard of an UltraDot before today. While I have total faith that an Aimpoint is up to the task in every way for an AR-15, I like the options that ultradot 6 offers too. I've got a plinking rifle I've been thinking about putting a red dot sight on. I might just have to try one.

Terry

Terry, I have an Ultradot 6 and I love it!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by TC1

Terry

The Ultradot has been the darling of the Bullseye world for a long time; they don't get much play in the "tactical" realm, though, perhaps because Ultradot doesn't market them that way. I've got one on a Ruger 357 Maximum--a far cry from the recoil of JWP's and Whitworth's revolvers--but it has held zero for hundreds of hot 180gr loads.

Last edited by Oregon45; 06/26/12.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Leupold 1.25x4 VXR with a pig plex reticle.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
LOL, I am interested in the Ultra dot as well, looks like it's been around for 30 years and has some great reviews. And I know a higher price doesn't always get you a better product.

I'd like to know what the battery life is if left on and where it's made. Is it waterproof/fogproof?

jwp475, I would also like to know which Aimpoint you saw go down, not that I doubt you but the newer versions are pretty robust, well more so than the older M2 series. I've seen these Micros on turkey guns and slug guns without issue but then again I've seen a 500 Linebaugh get touched off too...

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The failures occured 4 or 5 years ago. I personaly do not know anyone that runs Aim Points on the heavy kicking revolvers any more. The Ultra Dots are guarrented for any amount of recoil they work perfectly and Whitworth posted that he still has the original battery in his after 4 years.

The Ultra Dot is very reliable and cost much less, whats not to like?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (10gaugeman, 17Fan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,319
Posts18,487,362
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.