Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks, that rules out todays Aimpoints as I was suspecting.

And yes but having the same battery in it for 4 years is not the same as leaving it on for 4 years is it?

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by TWR

And yes but having the same battery in it for 4 years is not the same as leaving it on for 4 years is it?

I doubt that it rules out anything unles they are subjected to the same recoil abuse

As to the battery commit, no [bleep] Sherlock, way to grasp the obvious

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
EoTech 512 for two years. Original batteries and still holds "minute of Zombie" at 100 yards with these old eyes of mine.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
For when the revolution hits?

For real? You want to know what AR sight will serve you best when you go up against the the Armed Forces of the US Govt?

Gotta love da 'net.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
For when the revolution hits?

For real? You want to know what AR sight will serve you best when you go up against the the Armed Forces of the US Govt?

Gotta love da 'net.

Grins.. But when it happens I'll be running a bolt with glass, but the AR will still have good old irons.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by TWR

I doubt that it rules out anything unles they are subjected to the same recoil abuse

Today's Aimpoints are different technology than 4 or 5 years ago.

And I was asking a question cause I didn't know if the sight has an on off switch or not. My Aimpoint has been on for 2 years this month on the same battery.

I'd prefer facts instead of smarta$$ remarks unless that's all you got.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi TWR, I just looked on the U/D website and they claim 4000hrs. Country of origin is Japan.

Terry

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Maybe I missed it but what about the TruGlo 2X on an AR? The price is very attractive.

Art
In life you will find that constants aren't and variables won't.
Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by TWR

Today's Aimpoints are different technology than 4 or 5 years ago.

And I was asking a question cause I didn't know if the sight has an on off switch or not. My Aimpoint has been on for 2 years this month on the same battery.

I'd prefer facts instead of smarta$$ remarks unless that's all you got.

I prefer that some one not jump to eroniuos conclusion.

Aim Point gives a 2 or 3 year warrenty Ulta Dot give a lifetime warrenty. Ultra Dot claims 4000 hrs of battery life

Not my fault that you purchased a more expenive product that is no better and probable not as good

You were givenWhitworth's experience unless your google fu is weak you could have gone to the Ultra Dot web page and read their battery life claim.

You have been a smart azz from the start so I responded in kind. You are not interested in our factual experience, you are only looking to justify your choice nothing more IMHO

Last edited by jwp475; 06/27/12.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well by my math 4000 hours is no where near 4 years is it. Aimpoint Micro gives 50000 hours of which I've proved about 15000 and still counting.

Battery life should not be confused with battery storage.

IC B3

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Just caught your edit. You have given no facts but you win?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Bull [bleep] I have given our factual experience and you have given WHAT? OH YeA absolutely nothing but another BS response

Fact is Ultra Dot has a liftime warrenty Aim Point does not. Thos is about the third time that's been posted but you
ignore everything except want you want to hear

Now go fourth and spend more for less

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TWR
Well by my math 4000 hours is no where near 4 years is it. Aimpoint Micro gives 50000 hours of which I've proved about 15000 and still counting.

Battery life should not be confused with battery storage.

TWR, I don't know what you do with the firearms you mount your red dots to, but mine get used and abused in the field, and they get used and abused frequently. I hunt with mine, subject them to inclement weather, I've dropped them out of stands, and most importantly, at least to me is that I subject them to thousands of heavy recoiling rounds and the Ultradots just keep coming back for more, like a loyal dog. Now, before someone asks what recoil has to do with the durability of a red dot unit, it is extreme shock. If a sight can put up with it, then it is likely more capable of withstanding other shocks.

In one unit (an Ultradot 30), I have more than four years of fairly constant use on the original batteries, to include countless hunts, boatloads of load development, and thousands of rounds downrange. I carry spares in the field, but I haven't had a need to ever change them.

I'll bet I have more than a few revolvers that will turn an
Aimpoint into a paperweight in short order. Send one down, I'd be glad to test it.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
RE batteries, teh OP said SHTF scenario.. in that one if I had an optic that required a battery, said battery would have spare in fridge or 3, and would be replaced annually along with smoke detector batteries.....how much is your life worth?

Of coruse the OP also put a price on his life by stating a dollar amount that did not equate to quality optics. IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
You guys will have to buy your own Aimpoint Micro for T&E.

I did some checking though and UD's site says 20-4000 hours of battery life, so the 4000 hours (5 months) would obviously be on the lowest setting. Which is not unlike Aimpoints 50,000 hours time based on setting 8 and 10,000 based on setting 10.

Don't know how you have 4 years worth of "fairly constant use" on one battery.

I've owned an M2, 2 ML3's and a Micro H1, with literaly thousands of rounds on AR's, excluding the M2, I just didn't like that one. I'm not easy on my equipment and I'd trust my life to them. There are plenty of videos showing them being dropped from a helicopter and being blown up to being tossed onto to the gravel time and again. So my tales of them riding on the rack on my 4 wheeler and truck along with being mounted on a 223 won't mean anything but I'd be surprised if anyone has had a Micro or M4S fail due to recoil, the older M2 and the 5000/9000 etc. hunting series, not so surprised.

I did ask which models ya'll have seen fail but didn't see a response, I do have to ask were these seen by ya'll or on the net?

I also saw that the UD is parrallex free at 50M, while the Aimpoint is parrallex free period.

Looks like the UD is made in Japan, which is a plus and they run from $199 to $299 depending on model. They do have a lifetime warranty which trumps Aimpoints 10 year warranty for sure.

With my experinces with Aimpoints, I feel the extra $136 was money well spent for an AR. But I watched a guy who ya'll know as Rio Hondo Hank shoot his 500 linebaugh (I told him he was crazy) and if the UD will hold up to that kind of recoil it must be a tuff sight.

That's as fair as I can be.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Aimpoint

Warranty

Aimpoint guarantees its products to be free from original manufacturer defects in material and/or workmanship under normal use for a period of 2 years for professional or competition use and 10 years for personal use from the date of purchase.

Personal use shall mean: use of the sight in a way that implies less exposure than professional use.
Professional or frequent competition use shall mean: daily or highly frequent use of the sight in professional activities (military or law enforcement) or under conditions that could be compared to as professional.

The warranty is valid provided that the sight has not been misused, disassembled or tampered with in any way. Any attempt to disassemble or repair the product will void the warranty.

The warranty agreement is limited to the original owner and is not transferable.

Any warranty claim must be accompanied by a copy of the original receipt showing date of purchase.

http://www.aimpoint.com/us/support/warranty/

Last edited by jwp475; 06/27/12.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm not a professional nor a competitive shooter so 10 year warranty.
And I did say the lifetime UD warranty trumps it.
Problem?

Last edited by TWR; 06/27/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TWR
You guys will have to buy your own Aimpoint Micro for T&E.

I did some checking though and UD's site says 20-4000 hours of battery life, so the 4000 hours (5 months) would obviously be on the lowest setting. Which is not unlike Aimpoints 50,000 hours time based on setting 8 and 10,000 based on setting 10.

Don't know how you have 4 years worth of "fairly constant use" on one battery.

I've owned an M2, 2 ML3's and a Micro H1, with literaly thousands of rounds on AR's, excluding the M2, I just didn't like that one. I'm not easy on my equipment and I'd trust my life to them. There are plenty of videos showing them being dropped from a helicopter and being blown up to being tossed onto to the gravel time and again. So my tales of them riding on the rack on my 4 wheeler and truck along with being mounted on a 223 won't mean anything but I'd be surprised if anyone has had a Micro or M4S fail due to recoil, the older M2 and the 5000/9000 etc. hunting series, not so surprised.

I did ask which models ya'll have seen fail but didn't see a response, I do have to ask were these seen by ya'll or on the net?

I also saw that the UD is parrallex free at 50M, while the Aimpoint is parrallex free period.

Looks like the UD is made in Japan, which is a plus and they run from $199 to $299 depending on model. They do have a lifetime warranty which trumps Aimpoints 10 year warranty for sure.

With my experinces with Aimpoints, I feel the extra $136 was money well spent for an AR. But I watched a guy who ya'll know as Rio Hondo Hank shoot his 500 linebaugh (I told him he was crazy) and if the UD will hold up to that kind of recoil it must be a tuff sight.

That's as fair as I can be.

Why the fixation on battery life? Four years of hunting (Do you hunt with yours? I ask because you are then probably exposing it to the elements), load development, and LOTS of shooting. One of my Ultradots gets passed from gun to gun for testing purposes and has even survived time on my 8-lb. .416 Remington Magnum. I don't know what you do for a living, but I work in the industry and spend a lot of time testing.

Now, if it will withstand the recoil of my .500 Linebaugh, that weighs less than 3-lbs, don't you think it is a good bet that it'll withstand a fall?

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not that I want in on this, but much like the earlier quesiton of how an AR can ruin a standard scope that was never addressed, when in 223, due to double recoil issues of the bolt slamming home, the scope was built to withstand from one direction but not both..

Thats very similar to standing recoil but also dropping it, the only way you will know if ANY scope stands up to dropping it is to do drop tests. Not what caliber weapon its fired on. Of course if it fails on say a 375H/H I'd be more inclined to say that it probably won't pass a drop tests either, but just because it survives recoil from X, doesn't mean it'll be fine when dropped either.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Why the fixation on battery life?

I've owned a few eo-thingies and had a few days when I went out and had dead or low batteries. Battery life is everything when you depend on a sight for a hunt or even a day of shooting. Yes I carry spare batteries, even for my Aimpoint but remember my Aimpoint has been on for 2 years, everyday and night for 2 years.

In fact right now I'm testing battery life on another eo-thingie, so far it's been on almost continuously for 280 hours or so. Not just storing a battery but actually on bright enough to use.

Yes I hunt, blue bird days and stormy days. I hunt coyotes mostly with a few contests here and there. I also hunt deer and other critters but mostly coyotes. I've torn up more than a few things while hunting. I also own a shop that rebuilds starters and alternators so I know a thing or two about testing things.

What I don't like is internet rumors, seeing something on the net is not the same as having it happen first hand. I've said from the start that the newer Aimpoints are tougher than the older hunting models yet both of you have stated that an Aimpoint will not hold up. Which Aimpoint? Evidently it's not been today's Aimpoint or someone would have offered proof.

I've never said the UD wasn't a tough sight, what I've asked about was proof that the Aimpoints wouldn't hold up and neither of you will provide any details on model or what happened, just they won't hold up and the UD will. Comparing the older versions to what we have available today isn't a fair comparison and if you just "witnessed" it by reading about someone eles's failure on the net then you don't have any idea of what happened, just what they wanted you to know.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (160user, 222Sako, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 64 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,285
Posts18,486,876
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.