Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

What was said was that we have seen Aim Points fail on big bore heavy recoiling revolvers. Then you jumped to the conclusion that the newer ones would stand up to the heavy reciol of theses big bore revolvers. But we don't know that at this point it is only speculation.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Don't forget I asked which model you've seen fail, you could not or did not answer. Were you present when these Aimpoints failed or just read about them on the net?

Don't take offense but I'm sure someone who's reading this will one day remember that the UD has a 4 year battery life... Which turns out to be 5 months on the lowest setting, 20 hours on high but it was stated here as fact and you made reference to it. Things get distorted on the net. That's why it's important to base conclusions on personal experience or at least ask a few more questions.

I am speculating that the H1/T1 Micro will hold up just as you are that they won't since you've never seen one fail.

Have a good day.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Again you distort the facts on battery life. . You make it sound like a battery change is difficult, it's not as anyone that own a flash light knows

Specifications:

Tube Diameter: 1" / 25mm
Field of View: Unlimited
Windage/Elevation Adjustments: 1 MOA per click
Dot Size: 4 MOA
Dot Brightness Adjustment: 11 Settings / Click

Length: 5.1 Inches
Battery: 3v Lithium CR2032
Battery Life: 20 - 4,000 Hours
Weight: 3.9 oz
Parallax Free @ 50m

http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradotdist2010_004.htm

Last edited by jwp475; 06/28/12.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

As Whitworth has posted in real life use he is still useing the same batteries for 4 years and that is a fact

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the UD would be a fine choice for a target/plinking/hunting rifle, but for a fighting rifle, battery life is very important as TWR points out. Something else that needs to be said is abuse from recoil and external abuse are two entirely different things. While I have no experience with a UD6 I seriously doubt it could take nearly as much external abuse as a H1. I have an Aimpoint PRO and don't think it could take as much abuse as a H1 either.

All that said I think I'm going try one of those UD6's in the near future for one of my AR's. I don't fight with mine and I really like options the UD6 offers.

Terry

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

TC1, I have contacted Ultradot and the older models with the smaller battery is the reason that the 20 hrs is listed. The ones that they have bee proucing for a number of years uses the 2032 battery and the battery life should be 5 to 6 years

When I get the info emailed I will post

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The UD chart you posted says 20-4000 hours, grab a calculater and see if that don't equal 5 months...

I've distorted nothing.

Once again, battery life is measured with the device on, now if Whitworth used his sight continually for 4 years he and you would be right but both of ya'll are distorting the facts. Any device should have a 10 year shelf life (which is the shelf life of a lithium battery) if you never use it.

Last edited by TWR; 06/28/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TC1
I think the UD would be a fine choice for a target/plinking/hunting rifle, but for a fighting rifle, battery life is very important as TWR points out. Something else that needs to be said is abuse from recoil and external abuse are two entirely different things. While I have no experience with a UD6 I seriously doubt it could take nearly as much external abuse as a H1. I have an Aimpoint PRO and don't think it could take as much abuse as a H1 either.

All that said I think I'm going try one of those UD6's in the near future for one of my AR's. I don't fight with mine and I really like options the UD6 offers.

Terry

Terry, I'd take that bet in a heartbeat. Battery life is exemplary in the Ultradots, so what in the hell are we talking about here? Shock from recoil is very significant. I have dropped mine out of a number of tree stands and zero wasn't even affected. Just because they don't advertise them in every magazine doesn't make them somehow less viable a sight.

How many of you are taking your personal ARs into battle? Y'all talk like you're hopping on the next flight to Kabul and this sight is a critical decision for you. Good grief.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TWR
Once again, battery life is measured with the device on, now if Whitworth used his sight continually for 4 years he and you would be right but both of ya'll are distorting the facts. Any device should have a 10 year shelf life (which is the shelf life of a lithium battery) if you never use it.

TWR, do you turn your Aimpoint on and leave it on until the battery dies? I suspect the answer is no. I will bet I use my Ultradots at least if not more than you use your Aimpoints, and there is no issue with battery life -- period.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Just because they don't advertise them in every magazine doesn't make them somehow less viable a sight.

That is a fact. Since Ultradot doesn't pay shooters to use their product and doen't spend huge amounts on advertising is a major contributoer to the lower cost, not lack of quality

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

If I were going to Kabul I'd mount a S&B 1 1/4X4 or a 1.5X6 on mine, case closed

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
"TWR, do you turn your Aimpoint on and leave it on until the battery dies? I suspect the answer is no. I will bet I use my Ultradots at least if not more than you use your Aimpoints, and there is no issue with battery life -- period."

I've posted it twice here I think but once again, yes MY AIMPOINT H1 MICRO HAS BEEN ON FOR 2 YEARS, I never turn it off. It's on setting 8 right now and my eo-thngie is setting here on my desk and has been running for about 184 hours now. I like to test things out for myself, what can I say?

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jwp475

If I were going to Kabul I'd mount a S&B 1 1/4X4 or a 1.5X6 on mine, case closed

I can agree with that!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TWR
"TWR, do you turn your Aimpoint on and leave it on until the battery dies? I suspect the answer is no. I will bet I use my Ultradots at least if not more than you use your Aimpoints, and there is no issue with battery life -- period."

I've posted it twice here I think but once again, yes MY AIMPOINT H1 MICRO HAS BEEN ON FOR 2 YEARS, I never turn it off. It's on setting 8 right now and my eo-thngie is setting here on my desk and has been running for about 184 hours now. I like to test things out for myself, what can I say?

Okay.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Since you like testing, get an Ultradot and if it isn't everything that we claimed then I will buy it from you and you will be out nothing

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I plan on it believe it or not and thanks for the offer but that's not necessary. It will be awhile though...

I'm always messing with AR's and get lot's of questions about different things. It'll be good to know if a cheaper option is available.

Be sure and post UD's e-mail, I am interested.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Originally Posted by TC1

Terry

Terry, I'd take that bet in a heartbeat. Battery life is exemplary in the Ultradots, so what in the hell are we talking about here? Shock from recoil is very significant. I have dropped mine out of a number of tree stands and zero wasn't even affected. Just because they don't advertise them in every magazine doesn't make them somehow less viable a sight.

How many of you are taking your personal ARs into battle? Y'all talk like you're hopping on the next flight to Kabul and this sight is a critical decision for you. Good grief.

I actually know better but its hanging out there waiting for a bite. You noted you are in the "business". I"m not sure if thats testing for a company, writing etc... but note that you are an outdoor person. I can see dropping a rifle, maybe once somehow or another, but please, splain how you've managed to drop an AR(hopefully unloaded) out of a number of treestands? Or is that actually a test you run on optics to see the abuse? I"m actually interested in this dropping. That for DANG sure would be a good test to run but I just can't bring myself to drop my guns on purpose.

BTW I'm not avoiding the topic after this post.. I"ll simply be gone for a few days offshore fishing.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Originally Posted by TC1

Terry

I actually know better but its hanging out there waiting for a bite. You noted you are in the "business". I"m not sure if thats testing for a company, writing etc... but note that you are an outdoor person. I can see dropping a rifle, maybe once somehow or another, but please, splain how you've managed to drop an AR(hopefully unloaded) out of a number of treestands? Or is that actually a test you run on optics to see the abuse? I"m actually interested in this dropping. That for DANG sure would be a good test to run but I just can't bring myself to drop my guns on purpose.

BTW I'm not avoiding the topic after this post.. I"ll simply be gone for a few days offshore fishing.

Jeff

It wasn't hanging anywhere had you gone back a couple more posts. Allow me to clarify. The Ultradot was mounted on a revolver, Jeff -- hunting, tree stands, and definitely not on purpose and in fact, one stand collapsed and I was lucky to emerge with only some scratches. Now why would I drop them on purpose? The point I was making that despite the falls, nothing was broken and zero never changed. Ultradots are tough.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Cool. Sounds like you got worse luck than I do and I thought I had bad luck.
Glad you came out of it all ok. Falling is very dangerous and consider yourself lucky there as I know you do.

Busy week with fire calls and such and this is a week I"m guilty of not getting time to read and clarify each and every post.

Off to the coast in a bit.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
Cool. Sounds like you got worse luck than I do and I thought I had bad luck.
Glad you came out of it all ok. Falling is very dangerous and consider yourself lucky there as I know you do.

Busy week with fire calls and such and this is a week I"m guilty of not getting time to read and clarify each and every post.

Off to the coast in a bit.

Jeff

Jeff, the outfitter nearly had heart failure after it happened. The second time my revolver fell out my stand it fell from my holster -- the strap wasn't snapped -- lesson learned!

Enjoy the coast!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 270cowboy, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,332
Posts18,487,602
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.