Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#6615685 06/22/12
303mike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Okay, here's a question that might bring a lot of growls and groans. What are your opinions and uses of dulplex loadings? I've looked back through several months of discussions and have not found this subject. Also, I'm asking about all kinds of duplex loadings, those that use a small amount of smokeless powder as well as those that use a little FFFFg within the regular charge of heavier grained black powder.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mike - I'm not going to "growl or groan" about duplex loads as I have never personally tried them. I have never had a reason to even "duplex" with different granulations of BP in the same load. I have only been shooting BPCR weapons for about 15 years and have had satisfactory results using just BP under my bullet of choice (but I don't shoot "sanctioned" events so I'm easily satisfied wink ). If you have any inclination to shoot at a sanctioned event, I don't believe duplex loads (smokeless/BP duplex) are allowed although the rules may have changed. I have had zero misfires or "duds" to this date using just BP - I figger why try to fix something that ain't broke. If it is just curiosity you need to satisfy, give it a try. If it is because you want to get velocities higher, get an 06 . . . the bigger (500 gr+) bullets shoot better at the "std" BP velocities and they definitely are more than adequate for anything I have killed, including paper.

Shoot straight . . .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have and do use duplex loads consisting of the least amount of smokeless under black that I can get by with. I want to qualify that a bit. The only time I have to use a duplex load is in an old double rifle that I simply couldn't achieve the necessary velocity for the barrels to regulate when using straight black. Adding only 5 grs. of SR4759 to my black load put the old rifle on the money. It was a last resort. I have played with duplex loads in other rifles and they do shoot exceedingly clean but I do not use them as a matter of course.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's really not much need for duplexing smokeless and black. That was done in the early days of smokeless as blackpowder primers wouldn't reliably ignite smokeless, so they drop a bit of black under the smokeless.
Not exactly sure what brought about the smokeless under black loads, but one needs to be a bit cautious about those as they do raise pressure's and, using any compression with that could possibly be disasterous. If a person needs clean burning there's always just plain ol smokeless, altho that can proove a bit dicey as we were so horrifically reminded of when an old ballard blew on the firing line at the Quigley this past weekend.
Duplexing black , might be helpful if you have some junk powder and are shooting big cases, but other than that, just buying good black powder and knowing how to load it will probably be much simpler and just as affetive.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hmm..Kynoch and Birmingham Proof house disagree that duplex loads increase pressures. In one example, straight from their records of pressure tested loads, in the 500 BPE the original load of 136 grs. of straight black under a 340 gr. bullet the pressure was 10 tpsi. A duplex load of 15 grs. of SR 4759 under 110 grs. of GOEX Ffg gave 8 tpsi under a 440 gr. bullet. The same was seen in the 450 X 3 1/4 BPE with several loads, less pressure with duplex loads than with straight black loads. Oddly, the 500 BPE duplex load was less than 10% and the 450 X 3 1/4 load was closer to 15%.

I can see no really good reason for duplexing in a single barreled rifle, unless as Ranch said one has less than quality powder, a big case and a need to control fouling other than wiping. In a double rifle such is often not the case. Rarely, very rarely, is enough velocity achieved to bring the barrles into regulation with a straight black powder load. After working with over a half dozen doubles chambered in BPE cartridges I have never achieved it. As with all things reloading one must pay attention to what they are about when utilizing duplex loads. I'm convinced they're entirely safe if loaded correctly. Kynoch and Birmingham Proof House were definitive for me.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"As with all things reloading one must pay attention to what they are about when utilizing duplex loads. I'm convinced they're entirely safe if loaded correctly."

I agree. One must consider what they are trying to accomplish, and whether duplexing or any other approach is optimal for the purpose.

In my case I found that about 4.5 grs. of RL7 under a full charge of Swiss 1.5 gave my .45-90 a velocity boost of 75 - 100 fps over an equivalent volume of straight black, to about 1325 fps, with excellent accuracy for long range gong shooting. It did not take a lot of work to arrive at this combo; I guess I was just lucky, but I saw no reason to experiment any further. Note that this involved a very small amount of smokeless, about 5.5% of the total charge weight. Note also that it did not eliminate fouling, or the need to wipe or use a blow tube between shots. That wasn't my goal anyhow.

All of that said, I don't believe in pushing a BPCR or any other firearm to its absolute limits. I think that's asking for trouble.

YMMV, as the saying goes.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting stuff, never have tried them. My old Rodda Field's Patent single shot came with fixed sights - which I did not wish to alter. It took a while to find loads that would shoot to the sights, and they weren't light loads. If I stumble upon another one like it, duplex might be interesting.

Isn't some compression of the duplex charge required, to keep the two powders from shaking around, and mixing?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tex, a load w/BP in it MUST be in physical contact with the projectile.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're loading the smokeless on the bottom and then filling the rest of the available case space with black. And going by the intructions to make sure the bullet is in firm contact with the powder, How would the powder shake around and mix?
No pressure gains is always a nice theory, but folks there's seldom if ever anyway there's a velocity gain without a spike in pressures...

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, I should have phrased the question better. What prompted it was trying to understand this comment, since I gather that proper compression is important to BP:

Originally Posted by Ranch13

...Not exactly sure what brought about the smokeless under black loads, but one needs to be a bit cautious about those as they do raise pressure's and, using any compression with that could possibly be disasterous...

What difference is desired/appropriate between firm contact and compression?

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 06/23/12. Reason: clarified

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Firm contact means the bullet is solidly on the powder, Compression means you have to mash the powder into the case to get it to fit.
Compression with blackpowder is generally considered good. Some smokeless powder when compressed gets damned dangerous.

www.historicshooting.com
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I expect Kynoch and Birmingham Proof House know what they're doing. Birmingham Proof House has been at it since 1868. Those figures were taken from loads proofed in 1997 or 1998 so it isn't as if it's century old data. Duplex loads tested in the 450 X 3 1/4 were as follows.

Straight black
120 grs. straight black
365 gr. bullet
1750 fps
12.0 tons pressure

20 grs. SR4759 under 60 grs. GOEX
320 gr. bullet, cast-gas check
3, 1/8 in. cork wads
1822 fps
6.7 tpsi

20 grs. SR4759 under 60 grs. GOEX
360 gr. bullet, cast, gas check
3, 1/8 cork wads
1700 fps
7.14 tpsi

Same charge
350 gr. Hornady soft point
3, 1/8 cork wads
1648 fps.
8.05 tpsi

All well under proof and original load pressure, even with cork wads, with "close enough" velocities for regulation except for possibly the jacketed bullet from Hornady.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Curious isn't it.... For all the prickin around and escaping sepearated cases with all those cork wads, the best they could come up with was a drizzly 72 fps with by adding the smokeless and all those danged wads....

www.historicshooting.com
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Those loads were developed for particular 450 BPE rifles and what the velocities are in those rifles is impossible to say. The owners are in Australia and sent their loads to Kynoch and BPH for testing and paid for them out of their pocket. The above are results from pressure barrels as compared to original black powder loads from the 1880's, the 120 gr. load mentioned above which I failed to identify as such. What one must remember, or have knowledge of in the first place, is that these duplex loads for vintage doubles are not intended to give a big increase in velocity nor even for their often cleaner burning. The intent is to increase the velocity just enough for the barrels to regulate, that is shoot to the same point of aim. It is very rare that vintage doubles can be made to regulate with straight black powder loads using todays black powder, even Swiss or a finer granulation. I've never seen one but have heard rumors of such. They will almost always shoot apart. Thus the need for more velocity, often only 100-200 fps...but sometimes more. It just depends on the rifle. I've worked with several doubles over the last 20 years, mostly mine but also for some friends, and I've never been able to get one to regulate using straight black loads. I wish I could as I would prefer that to duplexing. All have shot apart. The least amount of SR4759 one can use and achieve the desired results is what should be used. I don't recall that I ever got to 10%, let alone exceeded it. It's either lightly duplex a black load or resort to a NFB load, something many of us are loathe to do.

So yes, the 72 fps does seem paltry when compared to a BP load from the 1880's, except that the odds are greatly in favor of the load being at least 200 fps faster than what was achieved with straight black powder of today.

Last edited by sharps4590; 06/24/12.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What would make you think the velocity of the 1880's bp load would be some much greater than with the powders we have today?

www.historicshooting.com
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A chronograph.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have you chronographed the 1880's laods?

www.historicshooting.com
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't know the exact dates of manufacture but I have chronoed 4 loads of 43 Mauser we were quite sure were from pre-1900. When I was working with my 500 BPE I sacrificed 3 of the 6 loads I had in my collection that we know dated from the 1890's and when I was working with a friends 400 BPE he had 3 rounds we fired. So yes, I have. My results were the same as those of Seyfried, Bell, Hadoke and a host of other writers and fell very closely to published velocities.

Last edited by sharps4590; 06/25/12.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What did the chrograph say?

www.historicshooting.com
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I said what the chrono results were in the last sentence. Look them up. The original ballistcs are available. If you're asking if the old loads had a higher velocity than those loaded with modern powder, yes they did. I have an idea and a suggestion. Instead of querying me incessantly, fishing for something to attack me on as you have in the past, why not buy yourself a double rifle, preferably chambered to an obscure cartridge for which little data exists so you can do nearly all the research yourself and develop loads that regulate. Then pound the gun shows, antique malls and web sites looking for original cartridges, buy them and run them through your chrono so as to confirm original ballistics. Seek out the same books on shooting double rifles I have, subscribe to the Double Gun Journal to learn what research and testing is being done with vintge doubles and the results. Then you'll know for yourself and if your results differ...they differ.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (10gaugemag, 44mc, 7887mm08, 35, 69sportfury, 6mmCreedmoor, 10 invisible), 1,512 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,517
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.