Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
We are elk hunting in Idaho this year and you can shoot a bear instead of an elk. I have not hunted bears before and was wondering how you tell the difference? Is it just that sows have big butts and boars have big wide chests? Any help is much appreciated.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
GB1

T
T
I've also heard many experienced bear hunters say that sow "wrists" look dainty compared to boars. Mature boars will have thick forearms all the way down to their front paws, while sows front legs will taper above the front paws. Take that for what its worth, good luck!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lift up their tail and check... That's how I do it.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have no doubt you lift up their tale Ranger1, though I have my doubts you know what to look for! grin eek

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beretta I had to do a lot of research on this. The typical responses are "Small ears"; a wide triangle between the nose and ears vs a narrow one, little to no sunlight beneath the belly, the wrists like tjkwonta said above.

After looking at 10 different bears on my first hunt, I can tell you that I'm still not an expert at all.

The first bear i saw I wanted to shoot, but it was too small upon further inspection.

Then with each bear, it seemed a little easier to tell. The bear i did take required zero thought process, it looked huge. Round belly, giant head, little ears. Also, it acted like it was the king of the beach, it didn't slink out of the shadows, it was walking big and confidant. It wasn't acting nervous at all. Granted, in Grizzly country they may all act nervous.

Good luck and post a report when you get back.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
So to sum up the advice so far, a boar has:

Big wrists and forearms
Big chests
little ears and
Swagger.

Oh and of course, lift the tail. Yikes, this might be harder than I thought!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Everyone knows you can't tell a sow anything.... regardless of species.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ranger1

Dang - you beat me to it! ! I started reading at the top and you had already gotten there. grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are a few units where one cannot shoot a black bear in the fall. The tag substitution thing is not applied statewide. Read your regs to be sure.

1Minute
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The only sure way is that a boar will never be accompanied by cubs. Other than that, just try for a big bear. I would pay much more attention to learning how to differentiate size than sex.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

They don't like having their tails pulled. It's best to roll them over, rub their tummy and watch for a reaction.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
The only sure way is that a boar will never be accompanied by cubs. Other than that, just try for a big bear. I would pay much more attention to learning how to differentiate size than sex.

+1

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

[Linked Image]

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It is easier to run them up a tree, barking like a hound, then look in the right place. When you hear their jaws popping, it is time to shoot or get out of the way...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Dude !! THIS was my first bear hunt, too !! Wasn't that hard to tell one from the other.... We were sleeping on the boat in PWS, AK and I woke about 7... OK, 8 one morning and had to drain the main vein and had it running good off the back of the boat when I looked at the end of the finger we were anchored in and said to my son... THERE IS A BEAR !! We got dressed.... grabbed the guns and jumped in the skiff and snuk up on a little tidal island and I shot the bear. Then we boated over to him and I lifted his hind leg and YUP, IT'S A BOAR !! See !! NOTHING TO IT !! Good luck with it and enjoy every minute of it. Do not be a tard !! Remember the danged camera !! Only pics we got of our 2 bears came off my sons phone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never have hunted bears but I was told to use the two finger method to tell the difference. Sneak up on the bear and stab under its tail with two fingers. If one goes in it is a boar if both go in it is a sow.

Quando Omni Moritati
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
All of the other advice was spectacular, but Boggy, I have to draw the line somewhere!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Never have hunted bears but I was told to use the two finger method to tell the difference. Sneak up on the bear and stab under its tail with two fingers. If one goes in it is a boar if both go in it is a sow.

I was waiting for someone to mention this. laugh

He went over yonder way
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
laugh

You guys are hilarious.

If it humps another bear chances are it is a boar, unless the sow is "experimenting" wink

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Just watch to see which one gets on top........unless of course there are homo bears

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 6 invisible), 1,454 guests, and 882 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,514
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.