Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
All you gunsmiths out there...I'm looking at converting a mauser action and am considering a non-magnum donor with bolt face diameter of .47. As it will be converted to a magnum cartridge, does it make sense to and open it up to .54 OR does that job require so much gunsmithing work that I should really start with a magnum donor that is already at .54?

thnx

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Start with a donor!!

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jkob
Start with a donor!!

Even I have to laugh at that one!

setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jkob
Start with a donor!!

Yep, I get it, start with a donor. My question is whether or not a nonmagnum 0.47 diameter bolt face on a standard long action is an acceptable donor for a magnum in standard length. And when I say acceptable, I mean will I end up putting so much money into opening the bolt face, that it I should rather start with a standard manum as the donor.

To be transparent, 30-06 fn as a donor for a 416 ruger

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
If you already have a FN you could look at trading someone actions or finding a magnum bolt. You could probably get it opend to magnum maybe for not that much more than you would pay to transfer actions. I've payed as little as $30-40 to have an action opened. Going rate is probaly more on the order of $50-75.

Just my 2 cents.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You are also going to have to open the feed rails. I have bought magnums for 4 hundred. I have bought standards for the same price. You just have to shop around. Look at different gunsmiths for the price of opening the bolt face and altering the feed rails. The only wrong answer is hiring a smith that thinks he can do the work to train on your action.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep.the bolt is no big deal,but if it don't feed,it will die on the vine...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Yep open the rails either std or magnum

Just my 2 cents.
setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ramrod340
Yep open the rails either std or magnum

And that answers a question I hadn't even asked yet, so thank you.

Even if $75 to open the face, plus more to widen the rails (regardless of starting with a magnum or standard action), I can live with that as there seem to be more quality options for a non-magnum donor at very reasonable prices.

And what about a small ring HVA mauser? I suspect the pressure is the issue, but could it handle a load as large as a 416ruger?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I can't remember is the HVA was the small ring 98 action. If ti was it was chamber from the factory in 30-06 and 270. Someone smarter than me would have to tell you if there is enough metal a barrel cut for a small ring to be safe.

I would save a small ring 98 for a nice streamline rifle and look to something else for a 416Ruger

Just my 2 cents.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
setch,

Generally experienced Mauser gunsmiths advise against using small-ring actions for magnum rounds.

My .338 Winchester is built on an FN action that was originally for .30-06 rounds. I had a local gunsmith open the bolt face, then modified the extractor and feed rails myself. It's worked really well for 25 years or so now, feeding anything from really shapr spitzers to flat-nose solids.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

<smile> I had that thread saved myself, it was a good one, but thanks for reminding me of it. Any opinion on the small ring HVA's?

Last edited by setch; 06/28/12.
setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
setch,

Generally experienced Mauser gunsmiths advise against using small-ring actions for magnum rounds.

My .338 Winchester is built on an FN action that was originally for .30-06 rounds. I had a local gunsmith open the bolt face, then modified the extractor and feed rails myself. It's worked really well for 25 years or so now, feeding anything from really shapr spitzers to flat-nose solids.

John, that was exactly the sort of feedback I was hoping for. I have read so many threads & articles lately that keeping them straight is a challenge, and though I can't find the link...I distintly remember the advice being that a SRM would not withstand pressure much beyond a 30-06. So I had that in the back of my (cluttered) mind, thanks for confirming.

paul

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by setch

<smile> I had that thread saved myself, it was a good one, but thanks for reminding me of it. Any opinion on the small ring HVA's?

My opinion on the HVA action is that they are a great action. Very desireable for making custom rifles. But I wouldn't use one for a .416 Ruger. Not becasue I wouldn't think it was strong enough, but rather because I would just consider the Small ring action more proper for something like a 7 x 57 or a .257 Bob or something like that.

If I was going to make a .416 Ruger I'd probably use a Mark X or Charles Daly Mark X action, either with a magnum bolt face or else open one up to magnum dimensions, or an FN action.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would much rather have a commercial action than some old military castoff.

I would rather have a 'best' M70 action over a mauser.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What is your cartridge of interest? If you are going for the H&H family, no. You have to remove to much material on the action. You have to remove some on the rails and some on the for the length of the cartridge.

You can fine Husky rifles on gunbroker for 3-4 hundy already in the Win Mag family.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My preferance in actions would be

Browning
Sako
FN or CZ
Husky

There are others out there. (NOTE) CZs come with a single set trigger.

setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mausershooter
What is your cartridge of interest? If you are going for the H&H family, no. You have to remove to much material on the action. You have to remove some on the rails and some on the for the length of the cartridge.

You can fine Husky rifles on gunbroker for 3-4 hundy already in the Win Mag family.

416 ruger

setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mausershooter
My preferance in actions would be

Browning
Sako
FN or CZ
Husky

There are others out there. (NOTE) CZs come with a single set trigger.

Did Sako make a mauser action? If so, which one? I am familiar with teh LR61 (and descendants), but am unaware of any mauser they made.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (160user, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,863 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,794
Posts18,477,352
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.