Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
as far as the "all-weather" rifles go, do you plan to hunt in the rain in an open stand? if you do, they're not a bad idea. If you are more likely to stay inside when you wake up and its pouring rain, they don't offer much benefit. I usually take one just because I don't mind 'em getting wet as much as I do a blue/wood gun.

Have you handled these guns that you are considering? that might make your mind up real quick. If I was going to drop $1500, I'd take the Sako out of the choices you listed. You can pay a lot less and get a very serviceable gun, but you do PFWYG.

In reality, I've been hunting with a couple of savages over the past few years, a .250 and a .308. they are dialed in, and I don't mind getting them dirty and scuffed up. The .308 is a better all-around gun, but I usually end up taking the little .250 pop gun just because it's such a nice gun to shoot.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
HR IC

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Sounds like you aren't all hung up on the difference between the .308 and the 30'06. That's good. I own both and have hunted both. Not enough difference unless you have a strong perference for a lighter kicking round or are in love with 200-220 gr. bullets for hunting.
Your scope choice is great too. 3-9X40's are probably the most often picked, and Leupolds are as good as any.
As to rifles, I'm afaird I can't help you much. I hunt stainless aand synthetic rifles alot more than I do, or have, hunted blued and wood rifles. As far as reliability goes, I've had no reliability problems due to the rifle being stocked in wood and the rifle having a blued action. As has been pointed out, seal the rifle properly with marine spar varnish along the barrel channel, in the webbing area and under the recoil pad, and you can go any where in heavy rain. I like to free float the barrel with a shim as well. That helps when using a shooting sling.
I am a strong believer in buying and using something that you really enjoy and that you have absolute confidence in. Confidence comes with experience.
I might add that getting to know a good gunsmith is another good idea. They can adjust or modify triggers for better shooting, and tweak rifles in other ways for better performance. E

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Of the 3 all weather rifles you mentioned I would go with the Sako 85 Grey Wolf. I prefer walnut and blued steel for my rifle. Of the blue/walnut rifles, I would look at a Winchester M70 Supergrade or a M70 Featherweight. The Sako Classic 85 is also a very nice rifle. Other all weather rifles you may want to look at are the Remington 700 Mountain SS, the 700 XCRII and the Winchester M70 extreme Weather. The cartridge I would go with is the 30-06, but the 308 is also very good. If you insist on Leupold scope I would go with the VXIII 3.5-10x40. My one rifle is a Beretta Mato in 30-06. I have both a synthetic and a walnut stock for the rifle. I prefer the walnut. The scope is a Burris 3-10x40 Signature Select. This scope is no longer available, so would also look at a Ziess 3-9x40 Conquest.

Last edited by ar15a292f; 06/29/12.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by BobinNH
The OP sounds like a prime candidate for a SC M70 FW in 30/06,wood/blue.

All you'll ever need.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me I think of the Syn Stocked offering as more of a tool than fine firearm. I grew up with everyone having good looking walnut stocks and blued actions. That's what a fine rifle is "supposed" to look like. Ideally we would like them to just do their job but I feel that rifles can be real purtty.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jonathon
Hello all, my name is Jonathon and I am new to this forum. I am researching into a new (bolt action) rifle to hunt with throughout various regions of the states. I plan on getting back into the army soon and am hoping to do some hunting whenever/wherever I get the chance. I am mostly concerned with deer hunting but need a rifle suited for other exploits whenever the opportunity presents itself. With that said my choice of caliber will be either. 308 or 30-06, and between the two I am indifferent. I hope to keep the budget under $1500 for this and I won't top a rifle with anything other than a leupold 3-9x40.

I have been stalking all weather rifles for the better part of a month now trying to find which would perfect for me, all the time wondering if I even NEED an all weather rifle. I have hunted in the rain with several sporterized 03 springfields and never had an issue with rusting and stainless/synthetic combos are very visually unappealing to me. If I were to go with an all weather rifle I believe that my 3 favorites are the Kimber Montana, Savage Weather Warrior, and the Sako 85 Grey Wolf. My only clear choice outside the realm of all weather would be the Kimber 84m/84l. (though I am open to suggestions)

My questions are, at what point does one justify the "need" for an all weather rifle, and of those listed (or not listed) which would you choose if you needed ONE good multipurpose rifle for use in general shooting and hunting ANYWHERE in the lower 48? Why?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Great thread and great question. Jonathan, welcome to the fire. My suggestion would be something you don't have on your list: A Winchester model 70 Extreme Weather chambered for the good ol 30-06 cartridge, or you could just buy my Stainless Ruger Hawkeye 308 with walnut stock and be done with your search grin......Anyway back to your question: Your choice in cartridge is stellar and either would work for any animal in NA, just choose the appropriate bullet and rock on (as they say here).....

Here's the Extreme weather as mentioned above: Mods include Mcmillan compact edge stock, talley lightweights with Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 with cds scope..:
[Linked Image]

Here's the Ruger M77 hawkeye "all weather" with walnut stock:
[Linked Image]

That's the route I'd take if I were looking. Good luck with your search.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
BSA,

What is the weight of your 70/edge combo without scope. That set up looks sweet!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's a little more than 7.5 pounds with scope so I'd say it's probably around 6.75 pounds without scope.....It's just about perfect for me and is my lightest rifle. Great shooter too...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would say screw the stainless unless you intend to hunt in hurricane conditions. IMO older Sakos are one of the best off the shelf rifles ever produced. With your budget you could easily find a Sako Forester in 308 or a Finnbear in 30-06. Dead sexy rifles and one hole accuracy is common. Good luck with your quest....it never stops.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you loved your brother's Kimber 84, then duplicate it.

If you love walnut/blue, then get it. It won't matter, and you'll have the pride of ownership.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
bsa
That's a pretty nice piece of wood on that Ruger for it being a newer one.

`Bring Enough Gun`
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I would suggest simply taking a Tikka T3 stainless/synthetic and adding Talley lightweight rings with the optic of your choice.

Mine is in .308. It has proven to be a great rifle and filled my freezer with meat.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
^That's what I would do^

Pretty much as close to a 'fire and forget' system for hunting rigs as they come.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I would suggest simply taking a Tikka T3 stainless/synthetic and adding Talley lightweight rings with the optic of your choice.

Mine is in .308.

I agree with the T 3 Lite SS --- only a 270 W is BETTER grin grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Bearded Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Wow a lot more recommendations than I expected, luckily it was 110 degrees today so my job today was to stand around inside with my hands in my pockets daydreaming about guns :-)

At this point I think I am going to pursue an all weather rifle over the more aesthetically appealing wood/blue combo. Though I doubt I will be hunting in "hurricane conditions", it would be nice to have the option.

As good as some of the recommendations have been I think the two that appeal most to me (both in 30-06) are the Kimber 84l Montana, and the Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather with the McMillan compact edge stock. Thanks for the idea there BSA! All that is left for me to do now is to get my hands on both actions and see which appeals to me the most.

I grew up shooting and hunting with a 30-06 and probably favor it a little more than the 308. I have experienced first hand what a properly loaded nosler partition can do to deer and can honestly say that with the 30-06 I have never had a deer so much as take a step after I sent my round downrange. I am unfamiliar with some of the other rounds you guys have mentioned which made me worry about availability in certain areas.

I really like the kevlar/composite stock and the 24" barrel on the Kimber...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Remington XCR in .30-06 with a Leupold VX-2 3-9X40 would be perfect.

Yep.

Isaiah 6:8

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A bargain by any measure. Once you shoulder a KS, nothing else feels as good.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=294052063

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If I were limited to the situation you describe my rifle would be a Kimber Montana.

I might add, Idaho will make you rethink the need for an all weather rifle, as will many other destinations.

Joseph

Joseph
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jonathon
... I am researching into a new (bolt action) rifle to hunt with throughout various regions of the states. � mostly concerned with deer hunting but need a rifle suited for other exploits whenever the opportunity presents itself. With that said my choice of caliber will be either. 308 or 30-06, and between the two I am indifferent. I hope to keep the budget under $1500 for this and I won't top a rifle with anything other than a leupold 3-9x40.
My questions are, at what point does one justify the "need" for an all weather rifle, and of those listed (or not listed) which would you choose if you needed ONE good multipurpose rifle for use in general shooting and hunting ANYWHERE in the lower 48? Why?

Thanks in advance for your input.

All weather rifles are, like premium bullets, something that are rarely needed but rarely if ever detrimental. If all weather turns your crank, go for it. Or you can wax your rifle and stock and not worry unless hunting in really extreme conditions. This will be my 31st year hunting elk in Colorado and it wasn�t until 2 years ago I had a stainless/synthetic rifle. Now I have two and, although I have often hunted in wet and snow, have yet to really need one.

Mine are Rugers, both with MKII actions, .338WM on the left and .30-06 on the right. Beauty queens they are not but both have taken elk in snowy/wet/muddy weather and I don�t worry about dinging them up.

[Linked Image]

For even less you can pick up a gem like the Ruger M77 .30-06 on the left. It has accounted for two elk in snowy weather and is no worse for the wear. Except for the 2� shorter barrel and lack of iron sights, it looks just like the 7mm RM I used for the first 20+ years in all kinds of weather. The only damage to the 7mm RM is some minor dings here and there.

[Linked Image]

The stainless/laminate .30-06 is the same one pictured above in a �boat paddle� stock. Although the laminate looks nicer, I prefer the lighter �boat paddle� for hunting.

Here�s a scope-check target from the walnut/blue Ruger M77 .30-06:
[Linked Image]

Here�s a target from my 30 year old Ruger 7mm RM, shot in gusty 40+mph crosswinds:
[Linked Image]

And another scope-check target from the .338WM shown above:
[Linked Image]

OK, I�m an unapologetic Ruger fan because they are rugged, reliable, good looking and all of mine shoot great. Most of mine were purchased used at considerable savings but look and shoot just as well as the ones I�ve purchased new. In my opinion the Rugers are arguably the best commercial instantiation of the Mauser design. Unlike some other popular brands, I�ve never heard of the one-piece bolt and handle coming apart or the extractor breaking on a Ruger rifle. If necessary, Ruger the triggers are easily adjusted (M77) or tuned (MKII) or replaced. New Ruger Hawkeyes can be had for under $600 and used Rugers in great shape can be found in the $400s. For a �good multipurpose rifle for use in general shooting and hunting ANYWHERE in the lower 48� I think they are hard to beat.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I recommend shouldering a few before you make a purchase. I thought a Montana would be the cat's meow, until I shouldered one. The stock doesn't have hardly any drop, which put the bottom point of the recoil in the middle of my shoulder. This is the same reason I sold a great shooting X-Bolt I had bought sight unseen. My 70 featherweight has just enough more drop in the stock to fit me better, so now I know I can stop lusting after a Kimber...

Last edited by seven_miller; 06/29/12.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (7mm_Loco, 338Rules, 6MMWASP, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,448 guests, and 791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,662
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.