Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I used PAM cooking spray (no-name brand) with JB Weld on my last bedding job. Worked just fine.

If you don't like the runniness (and have some time), you can let it set up a bit for a half hour or so, then bed it.

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JB Weld and Trewax have done very well on many rifles around here..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
JB's is softer than Marine Tex and Acraglass... I prefer the latter. Though I don't doubt JB's works, it wouldn't be my choice.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I was preparing to bed my recently re-barreled M7 last night. Unfortunately, when I opened up my sealed box of Brownells Acra-glas I found that the resin had gotten firm and lumpy. Try as I might I couldn't get it blended smoothly with the hardener. Bummer :(, there's $30 I didn't need to waste. It was a "new" package, but had been sitting on my shelf for 2 years. I guess I didn't realize it had been there that long.

Anyway, since there's been a lot of chatter in last couple years about using JB weld for bedding rifles, and because it's much cheaper than ordering another package of Acra-glas, I thought I might give the JB weld a go.

The gun is a Model 7 in 7-08 with the CDL walnut handle. I had bedded it previously, but the new barrel has a different contour so I thought that instead of just opening up the channel, I'd remove the existing bedding an re-bed it from scratch.

So, anybody that's used JB for bedding, what are the pros and cons. Any tips or warnings?

Thanks for any constructive info you might be able to offer.

I use it and it works good. I've never had it fall apart and it stays if you rough up the surface where you want it to adhere to. With that being said, it isn't as strong as devcon10110 or marine tex but I prefer it over accraglass. I also use hornady one shot case lube as a release agent and have never had a problem with that either. My suggestion is try it for yourself and get back to us....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd toss the acra glass release agent. Paste wax works better.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Bedded two stocks with JB and Hornady One Shot...no problems.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Toss it my way...I like dipping my action screws in it, if and when I use them.......

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Toss it my way...I like dipping my action screws in it, if and when I use them.......
I would if I had any but haven't used it in years.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I have used JB but much prefer Devcon 10110. With JB you have to use dams to keep it out of areas you do not want because it will flow quite a bit. Also when you have it flow over the stock dont be to agressive about wiping it down with a qtip to soon, it will settle and leave a small gap at the top of the stock, much cleaner to leave it proud to the stock along the top of the action and sand it down a bit when it is cured.

I got away from using JB when I removed some from an old stock, grind it next to cured devcon there was no comparison, the devcon was much tougher in all respects. I am not saying it will not work, merely that I prefer the peanut buttertexture of the devcon as well as the tougher nature of the cured product.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The nice thing about the viscosity of JB Weld, is that because it's so runny, you don't get air bubbles nearly as easily as you do with something like Devcon 10110.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The nice thing about the viscosity of JB Weld, is that because it's so runny, you don't get air bubbles nearly as easily as you do with something like Devcon 10110.

I've used them all...Marine Tex is very good, and Devcon is great. If you've ever used either of these, you probably won't go back to JB Weld.

Last edited by richardca99; 06/29/12.

Chris
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just curious, what's Devcon actually for? Where can it be found for sale? Is it expensive?

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just getting ready to try my first ever bed job on a marlin XS7 243. If I use the Marine Tex or Devcon what works well for a release agent. THANKS!

Shod

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of things work well for release agent, I've seen shoe polish, hornady One Shot case lube, Johnson's paste wax. Pretty much anything that Is wax based so the epoxy can't stick to it and will dry reasonable flat

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Yep, you could thicken it up a bit with a filler of some sort, like powdered steel, aluminum, fiberglass, or something else that will bond well with the epoxy.

A buddy uses pieces of fiberglass from the rolls of insulation that you use in the attic. He just pulls it apart by hand, gets it loose and separate, then mixes it in the bedding material.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Shod
...what works well for a release agent.

As mentioned, lots of stuff works, regardless of your choice of bedding material. It's all the same concept... something waxy or "slick", so that the epoxy won't adhere to it.

My choice is Johnson's Paste Wax, thinned with mineral spirits to a semi-liquid state, then brushed on with a small paint brush. I know for sure that it gets in to the smallest crevice and the tightest corners, cause it can flow there. It dries quickly, gets a light buffing, then stuck in to the stock.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Shod
Just getting ready to try my first ever bed job on a marlin XS7 243. If I use the Marine Tex or Devcon what works well for a release agent. THANKS!

Shod

The best release agent in the world won't help if you've got a mechanical lock. Take your time, and putty up (maybe grind) anything that might lock the whole thing together.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1!!! Agreed! Containing the flow of the bedding can be just as important as the release agent.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for all the good advice gentlemen. It will certainly start me off at least looking in the right direction. Much appreciated.

Shod

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by richardca99
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I've used them all...Marine Tex is very good, and Devcon is great. If you've ever used either of these, you probably won't go back to JB Weld.

I have, and I still use JB Weld for certain applications, and Devcon for others.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,596
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.