Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
I was bit by a similar appearing spider (although looking through the plastic container it surely isn't the same species). Reached into the pool skimmer to clean out leaves and felt a sting similar to a bee sting. Turned out to be a male tarantula that hadn't drowned by the time I encountered it. Male tarantulas are longer, slimmer and have a smaller abdomen than the female. So I trapped it in a jar and headed off to the ER. The triage nurse said it was a good thing I came in and brought the spider with me. They identified it and found it wasn't particularly venomous, but gave me a tetanus vaccine injection anyway.

The nurse said it isn't a good idea to ignore a spider bite, she recalled her friend, also a nurse, was bitten by a brown recluse spider. She didn't have it looked at until symptoms developed. First they cut out a large portion of flesh around the bite, then they amputated her leg below the knee, then the entire leg, then the poor woman died. Seems the spider's bite can also cause necrotizing fasciitis, so if the venom doesn't get you the infection will. The park I managed was home to black widows and brown recluse spiders, one had to be careful lifting a manhole cover, one manhole contained at least 200 black widows. It had to be fogged with insecticide before rodding the line.

When it comes to large dangerous spiders, kill 'em all.

i swear i would rather take a hit from a copperhead than a brown recluse.....their venom is scary stuff.....the venom itself isnt lethal but the effects of it like you described happened to the nurse are unreal....spiders in general dont phase me, recluse scare the hell out of me.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
..... We kept at it until a nice big one like yours came up, took her up to the house and made a pet out of her. They tame right down and tolerate handling pretty well but ya gotta watch out, VERY fast runners.

Set it up in a terrarium, feed bugs to it. Use a coffee can lid or similar with a piece of sponge for water. They can live several years in captivity.

OH I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by AussieLad
Lucky it wasn't on your roof. Could have ended up looking like this!!!

Hilarious!!!! laugh

Love his daughters comment right at the end!

I loved the part where he stepped in the bowl and kept running with it on his foot......can't say I blame him either! shocked laugh

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shoot4fun

LOL.

Maybe you'll like this better.

Late last summer I found a nice big preying mantis and set him up as a pet. AH jr and I caught and tossed all sorts of things in there as food items but one of the best was a fairly large wolf spider.

I thought two predators both large in this area among insect and arachnid worlds, both aggressive hunters with good vision, both excel at chasing down and catching food, etc, that this should be a very interesting encounter.

Nope.

Mantis crawled down a twig, slowing the last couple inches to do the jerky walk like a leaf in the wind, and grabbed up the spider in one pincher. He crawled back up to the top and spun that spider in a full circle, snip, snip, snip, in about 10 or 15 seconds biting off all the legs and dropping them to the floor, then ate it up all gone.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
We kept at it until a nice big one like yours came up, took her up to the house and made a pet out of her. They tame right down and tolerate handling pretty well but ya gotta watch out, VERY fast runners.

I would NEVER handle one but my son did make a cage for it and wants to keep it for awhile (on the porch). When I moved her from her temporary holding cell to her new plush cell (on death row) - I got a good look at how fast they really are.....that girl can MOVE!! eek

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We found one in our backyard just like that 'cept it had spots... when we put it in a tupperware container all the spots came off... about a hundred little babies

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Here's some better pics from when we transferred the inmate..... wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice.
She's a beaut!

Now toss in a cricket. smile

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It's the Wrong type; it's alive!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
-They can live several years in captivity.

Didn't know that.

Nebraska let us know when you leash train your new pet and take him for walkies. I hear the hardest part is getting the collar on. grin

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yup . . . Wolf Spider.

Search Wikipedia for Wolf Spider, there are some decent pictures.

Prolific bug eaters and mostly "shy", they will scoot more often than not but will bite if threatened. Their bites are poisonous and not to be taken lightly. I'd rather take on a Wolf Spider bite than a Brown recluse . . . BTDT, and it ain't fun, though I came out smelling like a rose.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Ugly like all spiders!!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boy, I hate spiders, and they freak me out. I'd be so freaked out no way in hell I'd even be able to think about stepping on a spider that size. Shovel....maybe, foot smash.....hell no!

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by remfak
Boy, I hate spiders, and they freak me out. I'd be so freaked out no way in hell I'd even be able to think about stepping on a spider that size. Shovel....maybe, foot smash.....hell no!
I had one that big out in my woodpile one time. I used a 12 gauge to eliminate that one. No sense takin' chances.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

What about guns?When do we get guns?
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
That was a good read ! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by shoot4fun

LOL.

Maybe you'll like this better.

Late last summer I found a nice big preying mantis and set him up as a pet. AH jr and I caught and tossed all sorts of things in there as food items but one of the best was a fairly large wolf spider.

I thought two predators both large in this area among insect and arachnid worlds, both aggressive hunters with good vision, both excel at chasing down and catching food, etc, that this should be a very interesting encounter.

Nope.

Mantis crawled down a twig, slowing the last couple inches to do the jerky walk like a leaf in the wind, and grabbed up the spider in one pincher. He crawled back up to the top and spun that spider in a full circle, snip, snip, snip, in about 10 or 15 seconds biting off all the legs and dropping them to the floor, then ate it up all gone.

That would be awesome to watch. I've seen Praying Mantis around here before but they're pretty sporadic. Hopefully I'll come across a decent competitor soon!

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Nail

That's awesome!

And when talking about spiders - we can't forget about "Spiders on Drugs"! A definite classic..... laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Originally Posted by Nail

That's awesome!

And when talking about spiders - we can't forget about "Spiders on Drugs"! A definite classic..... laugh

Classic +P! laugh

Last edited by Nail; 07/01/12.

What about guns?When do we get guns?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is a real spider:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wd_U6obb9Ps[/video]

[Linked Image from ]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 57 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,501 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,192
Posts18,484,986
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.